Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build
The part of the bottom portion of the SSQA is welded on.

20130311_234028_zps48f9a4a6.jpg

20130311_234104_zps2f2c33d2.jpg

That technique will make sure it fits YOUR tractor but it might not fit another tractor, loader quick attach tolerances being what they are. They should give you a dimension per the industrial standard.

Sorry I should have clarified better, they gave me the spacing for the bottom portion of the QA side to side and they gave me the dimensions for the top to bottom spacing. It made it easier to tack with it on the loader, which matched theie dimensions and the SSQA spec.

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #143  
Most of the DIY bedliner coatings say they don't crack, peal or flake. If it was to wear off the tines from I'm not sure if that would be an issue. I guess in my eyes that would be like the paint wearing off of a plow edge. I'm sure powder coat will also come off in time. Some brands offer their coatings in rough or smooth finishes and plenty of colors. It looks like a kit (1 gallon) needed to do a grapple would set you back no more than $150.

Nice. :thumbsup:

Thanks.

Most of the DIY bedliner coatings say they don't crack, peal or flake. If it was to wear off the tines from I'm not sure if that would be an issue. I guess in my eyes that would be like the paint wearing off of a plow edge. I'm sure powder coat will also come off in time. Some brands offer their coatings in rough or smooth finishes and plenty of colors. It looks like a kit (1 gallon) needed to do a grapple would set you back no more than $150.

I am still up in the air about if I am going to paint, powder coat or what. I may look in the truck bed coatings for some that can be top coated with paint. I found this premixed kind here that comes in orange. I want something that can be touched up easily and can buy the stuff to do it locally. I know what ever I put on it will wear off eventually. I was thinking about the truck bed coating some, that stuff may be nice to do the pallet fork frame work with:scratchchin: It would last forever.

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #146  
Thanks.

I am still up in the air about if I am going to paint, powder coat or what. I may look in the truck bed coatings for some that can be top coated with paint. I found this premixed kind here that comes in orange. I want something that can be touched up easily and can buy the stuff to do it locally. I know what ever I put on it will wear off eventually. I was thinking about the truck bed coating some, that stuff may be nice to do the pallet fork frame work with:scratchchin: It would last forever.

How does the manufacturer finish theirs? Does it last very well?

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #147  
I pour old engine oil in hollow tubes before welding them shut. Ever opened a tractor transmission that sat for a couple of years ? mostly there isnt much rust because the oil vapour prevents it. (unless the oil was already saturated with moisture)

With oil in a tube frame, welded shut, the oil will emulsify most moisture that remains inside the tubes (or penetrates over the years) and is a good rust inhibitor.

Band saw cuts are sure not enough, you must either shut it off as much as possible, or leave openings as big as possible so the wind can go through. But the latter has the disadvantage that dirt enters too, and dirt holds moisture even more..

It was a common practice to add raw linseed oil inside of older aircraft that used tubing for the fuselage structure.
I have witnessed the difference between treated and non treated sections.
Many non treated were so rusted out as to be declared scrap while 50 yr old treated were as good as new.
Typically hot raw linseed oil is poured in, swished around and drained to leave a slight film.
Floatplanes operating in salty environments really demonstrated the advantage of this process.

Typically the procedure was to drill a small hole at each end of a structure tube in order to fill and drain excess oil.
The small holes would then be plugged often with a small rosette weld.

Linseed oil when heated gets very fluid making this process possible.

I made a little progress on it earlier this morning.
Supporting the loader to weld the last peice of the QA on.

20130312_100944_zps4b3c4ddf.jpg

The last 2 peices of the QA are tacked on.

20130312_101006_zpse7d00e83.jpg

20130312_101030_zpscb7c8f7b.jpg

A little bit of more welding was done to the top of the QA.

How does the manufacturer finish theirs? Does it last very well?

I believe they paint theirs.

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #149  
Well I called Rhino linings just for the heck of it and the guy said they could do it but he would not recommend it. He said it would peel off in the rub areas.

Right now it looks like I am going to be painting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.