Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #182  
Roger,
Great work - it's really looking good!
Great documentation, too - EA got lucky with you.
Can't wait to see your tractor wearing it with fresh paint.
Any idea how many hours you have into this project to date?
-Jim

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build
Friday night I compared the Kubota Paint to some Limco. The Limco paint had 4 ingredients listed and the Kubota paint had all of them plus 2 more. I wonder if I would be okay to use the Limco hardner:confused3:

The grapple is looking great, I can sympathize with the amount of welding having just finished fabrication of a 48" wide of my own design. I went through nearly of full tank of gas for the mig and about 6 lbs of wire I think. Then there is the painting and hydraulics yet to come for me. I need to make some mounts for the diverter valve and the quick connects today; then figure out the hose lengths and the endless puzzle of fittings.

Once again, great job on this project and the documentation of the progress should give others an idea of the amount of work involved.

Dan

Thanks Dan. There is a lot of work that goes into building a grapple. I have gone through 15# of welding rods:shocked:

Roger, first, fantastic build and documentation, second, would you come to Louisiana and build one for me ? :D :drink: I'll feed you mud bugs (crawdads) and cold beverages 'till you grow claws ! Lololol ! Seriously, very nice work and I very much look forward to seeing the final product on your machine, perhaps a video of the final product in action ? Thanks for this thread...

Rich

Thanks Rich. Too bad Louisiana is so for away sounds like that would be fun. I can't wait to get on the tractor. I can try to make a video of it in action. I keep thinking about getting a go pro camera but haven't.

Roger,
Great work - it's really looking good!
Great documentation, too - EA got lucky with you.
Can't wait to see your tractor wearing it with fresh paint.
Any idea how many hours you have into this project to date?
-Jim
:yawn:
Thanks Jim. Kioti Ken also asked me to keep track of my time. I really have not kept track of it but I went back through and looked at all of the pictures in the thread because I pretty much remember how long it took to do everything. As of know I have approximately 30 hours in it. I am too much of a perfectionist and I have been paying a lot of attention to all the little details. I believe by the time everything is welded, painted and the hydraulics are on it I will have 40 hours in it. I worked on it til 12:30 this morning:laughing::yawn:

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #185  
Roger:

If the paints are very similar 4 of 6 ingredients are same, then probably OK to mix, I would try a small drop of hardener in a small amount of paint and see how it drys. Figure the bottom of the tines and paint them with the test mix & check it next day for dry/hardness. Use a foam brush and well ventilated area.

Mark

Roger:

If the paints are very similar 4 of 6 ingredients are same, then probably OK to mix, I would try a small drop of hardener in a small amount of paint and see how it drys. Figure the bottom of the tines and paint them with the test mix & check it next day for dry/hardness. Use a foam brush and well ventilated area.

Mark

Mark, I have a el cheapo air brush kit. It has a eye dropper like thing that has marks for mixing paint on it. I can use that to mix up a small batch to test.

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #187  
If the parts could be sold ala carte (individually) you would have people building all sorts of stuff. I cut up alot of old ag. equipment and save different pieces for reuse,motors,cylinders,brackets, 3pt. top links,Axles and wheels. The laser cut pieces really would be handy. And the UPS man could handle it all. I understand it would be very difficult to pick orders. Just wishing. Really great build !.!

Getting ready to weld the lid teeth.

20130318_112250_zpsb7595d6c.jpg

The last lid finished up.

20130318_211733_zpsd6a948de.jpg

Spring mount for hydraulic lines.

20130318_211835_zpsa3e6c7df.jpg

Hydraulic plate welded (with MIG) in place with tabs.

20130318_211913_zpsc65e4fb0.jpg

I did not know were the piece went. I thought it was the spring mount for the hydraulic lines but I had 2 of them so I emailed Travis and asked him if that was what it was. Within a few minutes he called me and he knew right were it went. That shows me he is very knowledgeable about his product. The pieces go between the lids and are to protect the hoses from sticks.

20130318_211810_zps73e45b39.jpg

20130318_211818_zpsc5dde1c5.jpg

Here it is 99.9% complete well except for cleanup and paint. All that has to need to done is secure the hinge pins which I have a question about.

20130318_211719_zps693ebbd1.jpg

A few crappy night shots

20130318_212506_zps7fbc3fec.jpg

20130318_212515_zps0ced5527.jpg

Since I am pretty much done here are some pics of the welder that was used on it.

20130318_221101_zps6ca3e46b.jpg

20130318_221116_zps27199908.jpg

It is a Real Gear 160 amp DC stick. It is 110/220v. It cost a whopping $320. It is a awesome little welder.

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #189  
Fantastic job.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.