Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #221  
Why do they cut so many holes from the steel ? Looks like it would weaken the lower grapple. I know it takes some of the weight off but if the tractor can't handle the extra twenty or so pounds they removed it is too large for the machine. For a 72" grapple one would need the weight and power of an 80 hp tractor. Less than 55hp would severely limit production.
Shipping the steel is going to be costly. The real gain for the kit is the water jet cut arched pieces which could be ordered locally. I don't think production figures will be very high for these kits.

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build
On the PAINT did ya do a scratch test just to see how well it worked? I'm sure it will be better than un-hardened paint no matter. Drying correctly was biggest concern without wrinkling or burning the paint (drying too fast or causing chemical makeup problems.)

Mark

The paint looks fine. I took a pick and scratch tested it. I could run it across lightly and it would not hurt the paint but if I pushed with some pressure it would dig in.

Why do they cut so many holes from the steel ? Looks like it would weaken the lower grapple. I know it takes some of the weight off but if the tractor can't handle the extra twenty or so pounds they removed it is too large for the machine. For a 72" grapple one would need the weight and power of an 80 hp tractor. Less than 55hp would severely limit production.
Shipping the steel is going to be costly. The real gain for the kit is the water jet cut arched pieces which could be ordered locally. I don't think production figures will be very high for these kits.

They saved 90lbs with their grapple design. They used a steel with a minimum yield strength of 80, 000lbs.

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #223  

Maybe not the kits, but they have sold several grapples to TBN members already.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/267492-wicked-root-debris-grapple.html

Everything Attachments | Skid Steer Attachments, Tractor Attachments, 3 Point Hitch Attachments, and Farm Tractor Implements.

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #224  
They saved 90lbs with their grapple design. They used a steel with a minimum yield strength of 80, 000lbs.
Expensive engineering. Blasting a start hole to laser cut all those holes takes 50% of the machine time, if you can cut 10 inch per second at a given material thickness, blasting a start hole to begin cutting a hole takes about 5 seconds of pre-heating before you can actually start cutting.

The grapple would be cheaper without the holes. The cut out pieces cant be used for anything else so they're payd for anyways, so its cheaper save expensive laser machine time by leaving them in place :)

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #225  
Expensive engineering. Blasting a start hole to laser cut all those holes takes 50% of the machine time, if you can cut 10 inch per second at a given material thickness, blasting a start hole to begin cutting a hole takes about 5 seconds of pre-heating before you can actually start cutting.

The grapple would be cheaper without the holes. The cut out pieces cant be used for anything else so they're payd for anyways, so its cheaper save expensive laser machine time by leaving them in place :)

You are right but the LCF would be way down!

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #226  

You are right but...

It would affect the LCF!

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #228  
90lbs is a significant amount of weight on any compact tractor, often 5-10% of capacity. It opens up the operating window in a real and tangible way. The cost of making those holes is no doubt covered by the savings in shipping costs, a few pounds of metal saved can mean staying in a lower weight classification meaning more and cheaper shipping options. Maybe they are just to look cool, but they are common enough on all sorts of equipment that I'll bet there is more to them that.

Mr. HE:cool:

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #229  
90lbs is a significant amount of weight on any compact tractor, often 5-10% of capacity. It opens up the operating window in a real and tangible way. The cost of making those holes is no doubt covered by the savings in shipping costs, a few pounds of metal saved can mean staying in a lower weight classification meaning more and cheaper shipping options. Maybe they are just to look cool, but they are common enough on all sorts of equipment that I'll bet there is more to them that.

Mr. HE:cool:

They are just that cool looking, reduces weight without much if any reduced support due to the ladder design everything self supports it's neighbor tine and stiffens everything up once it is all welded.

If you bend it after welding, more than likely would have STILL bent it had it been solid. One bad thing is there will be more chances for sticks and such to wedge in them. welding in light gauge sheet metal would help out that aspect & making a template from cardboard could be easy & only add a couple lbs where as removing the thick metal shaved of probably that 90+/- lbs.

Mark

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #230  
It is hard to believe they lose 90# by drilling holes and using some high tensel strength material. Without seeing one in person it is hard for the brain to capture this. The only thing I know about the high strength steel is once it is bent..... good luck ever returning it to the original form. I hope it works out great. I like to putter in my shop so I will design one I can live with. I prefer tube steel as it is readily available and easy to work with. I can segment angles and get any shape I desire simply by turning the Ellis band saw head. Creative new designs appear quite often. I know there is a grapple hidden in my steel pile. Just have to sort out the pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.