Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #231  
Is it laser cut or water jet?

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #233  
Is it painted yet?

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #236  
Laser leaves a burnt edge while water-jet the edge will not be as straight in thick stuff and will be totally smooth & raw/clean steel no blackened edges almost polished look.

If you are welding on a edge that was cut the laser cut should be ground to remove the heat hardened/oxidized edge while water-jet will be ready off the machine (other than wet.)

Water-Jets can make holes a bit faster in heavy/thick stuff for most part I do believe too. though the edge no longer is perpendicular to plane.

Mark

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #237  
I think they use a laser.

No, I have not had a chance to get back to it. Plus now somebody talked me into adding expanded metal.

Sorry about that but I think you will agree its a good idea, That's the way mine came from MIE and it was even painted orange and black.

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build
I got the lids cleaned up and primed. I also primed the pins for the lids, just the ends.

Laser leaves a burnt edge while water-jet the edge will not be as straight in thick stuff and will be totally smooth & raw/clean steel no blackened edges almost polished look.

If you are welding on a edge that was cut the laser cut should be ground to remove the heat hardened/oxidized edge while water-jet will be ready off the machine (other than wet.)

Water-Jets can make holes a bit faster in heavy/thick stuff for most part I do believe too. though the edge no longer is perpendicular to plane.

Mark

This has a pretty smooth edge.

Sorry about that but I think you will agree its a good idea, That's the way mine came from MIE and it was even painted orange and black.

Yeah, it is a good idea. I got to thinking if I was loading over a truck and or lifting high something could fall out of the back of the grapple and on to the tractor. I guess something could still fall out of the bottom and possibly hit the tractor but it would be a pretty low chance at doing that. I still may add some expanded metal to the grill guard. I am going to get some and cover the bottom of the BX too.

I check my test paint and it seems to be pretty durable since it has sat a while. It is not good weather for paint drying.

Here are the Lids primed. I cheeped out and used red oxide primer. I was going to use some dupont primer but I figured it was not worth the extra money because it is going to get scratched off.

20130327_141525_zpsa2923704.jpg

I made a template for the expanded metal.

20130327_221551_zps9f6678f5.jpg

I laid it across a 2x4 to cut it height wise then clamped it to a welding table and cut the width.

20130327_141441_zpsb7c537f4.jpg

I got a few welded on. I ran out of cut off wheels. I almost finished cutting another one out.

20130327_221511_zpsb4f0c088.jpg

If things go right I am hoping to have it primed tomorrow.

I almost forgot to post my pics tonight.

I did not have enought time to get it primed but all the expanded metal is welded in. I cut everypeice to fit between the tines.

20130328_214112_zps1dd320a6.jpg

20130328_214122_zps28f9f8e4.jpg

20130328_214149_zps786c56d5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.