Extending pole barn help

/ Extending pole barn help #1  

dilligaf

Tractor
john deere 110 tlb
Hey all,
Me and the wife are looking to extend our 36x36ft pole barn by 16ft this spring. We currently have more animals than stalls and need to get two more stalls for our two new boys. I have built pole buildings in the past and am pretty handy. I can do the main structure but I've got a lot of questions on how to tie into the existing roof. Our current barn has a 2x12 ridge beam with 2x10 rafters 4ft on center. We need to go with a beam rather than a board so we can keep the open ceiling fr ventilation and extend the hay loft also, otherwise I would just get pre-engineered trusses. I'm just not sure on how to tie into the existing ridge beam and end plates without ending up building an entirely new barn. I appreciate any tips that you folks can pass along to help me with this project. We have gotten some quotes on having it done professionally and the cheapest was around $18k and that's with us doing the ground work.
Thanks,
Jim

/ Extending pole barn help #2  
Hi dilligaf,
You can get storage trusses that give you an open space in the middle. Usually 16' open in the middle. For a 16x36 addition 18k sound high especially with you doing the ground work.You would only need 9 trusses 24" o.c. and 5/8 plywood for the roof and you are good to go.

/ Extending pole barn help #3  
I guess I am not understanding your problem

jsut copy what is there and extend it, (you nearly going to have to leave your end wall is my guess, jsut take the door off) and may be open up the wall, (as it is most likely supporting the end of the building and roof,

can you post some prictures of the existing building

I seems to me like it would easy jsut to copy the construcion you have if it working, and extend I not under standing your needing of a beam, or where you want this beam,

even if you do build a second building (that may be an avantage) if some thing catches fire, not the whole thing is in danger, (one reason old farms has so many little buildings spaced all over the place),

/ Extending pole barn help
Thanks for the answers.

Builder, were trying to avoid any overhead obstructions that a horse can possibly hurt itself on if it rears up. With only 10 ft walls, if we went with anything pre engineered it would leave a ceiling that's a potential danger. I would love to use those trusses, I built my run in sheds with them and they make life so nice.

BHD,
Essentially, if I built off of the last two posts, I would need to tie into the existing ridge beam and I'm not really sure how to do it properly. With rafters 4ft on center I would have 3 ft of ridge beam not attached to anything after the last set of rafters that I know isn't such a good thing. Also, just extending an ag structure doesn't require a permit but building a desperate structure does and my town isn't what I would call ag friendly.

/ Extending pole barn help #5  
Pictures would sure help.

If I understand this, you want to make the building 16 longer, keeping the existing roofline the same.

Are you wanting to removed the existing wall that is supporting the ridge beam?

Will you put in a post to support the end of the existing ridge beam? or are you wanting to have it totally open? Can you use any part of the stalls to extend up to support the load of the roof?

As far as extending the ridge beam and rafters, I would double up the last rafter and start from there with the new ridge beam.

It sounds real simple, so I'm at a loss why it would cost $18,000 grand. For that kind of money, I'm missing something pretty significant.

Eddie

/ Extending pole barn help #6  
Eddie sounds right. All the weight is essentially on the side walls so you can more or less remove the end wall if you want to. If you double the rafters going to the extension and bolt the heck out of the two rafters together, it should be one solid structure.

/ Extending pole barn help
IMG_20130216_140935.jpg
IMG_20130216_141151.jpg
Thanks guys,
That's exactly what I'm looking for. I just want to remove the siding, doors and all the girts and build off of the existing poles. We need interior posts for the stall fronts and hay loft so there will be plenty of structure to support the rafters.
Eddie,
That's exactly what I need to do. Extend the building by 16ft keeping the same roof line. Just wasn't sure how to safely attache the new ridge beam to the existing building by using the existing poles. Its not a huge task, I have no idea why quotes were so high. We received one for $30k! $18k was the lowest quote.

Kenny, thanks for confirming and that's exactly what I'm going to do.

/ Extending pole barn help #8  
Do you have an existing overhang on the gable end? You want to extend the hay loft also, are there any support posts inside the barn? If the walls are 10', how high is the loft floor? Do you have any pic's of the existing building? Is the loft floor atached to the outside post's or the rafters. If you duplicate everything you have and tie into existing ridge beam with 2 steel plates, and tie wall girts to existing corner post. Also set your new perlins on top of the last roof rafter and secure to the side of the existing perlins. I would not remove any existing posts, on your end wall, they may be supporting the loft! I would think you could do this yourself for less than half of your contractors bid.

Dave

/ Extending pole barn help #9  
Hi Dilligaf,
Quick question, Are your rafters seamed on what looks to be a single 2x10? If there is a beam i can't see it from the pic. On your new structure if you can i would try to use a full length rafter. Depending of course on the length required. Then place the beam under the rafter if the span is to long. And yes as everyone else has suggested double up your gable rafter once you have removed your over hang and start your ridge from there. you can even use some simpson straps to tie the 2 ridges together.

/ Extending pole barn help #10  
Most of the time a "ridge pole" is NOT weight bearing or necessary, it is just convienient during construction and a handy way to fasten your rafters. Your floor is your "tie" and your extension of the ridge is really a minor consideration. If I understand your situation, you could support your last (existing) rafter temporaraly, cut 1 1/2" off each side, "scab" on a 2x to the side of your ridge, extending back to the next set of rafters (4') letting it extend 4' past the existing ridge. This will give you a real nice splice and continuation of the ridge. I would not worry about doing it to both sides of the ridge, but if it makes you feel better, it's your barn.:thumbsup: