welding table top what thickness needed /

/ welding table top what thickness needed / #21  
Mine is a 1/2” top. Very happy with it. If I was concerned, and I am not, I would probably weld some C channel underneath it. Bought it as scrap from a local metal salvage place in San Antonio.

/ welding table top what thickness needed / #22  
I was fortunate enough in my younger years (mid 20's) to find a 3x5 foot piece of 5/8ths flat for a welding table. It was at the back of a scrap yard and I could flip it end for end to walk it too where I could slide it into the back of my pickup. Now I'm in my late 50's and I can't even lift the thing but it has been a awesome welding table for many years.

/ welding table top what thickness needed / #23  
I'm fixing to make a welding table here soon

found some used plate for sale, smallest piece is 40" x 244" x 3/4" $650 or 60" x 244" x 3/4 $1000

Thinkin on making 3 tables and selling off two of them lol

/ welding table top what thickness needed / #24  
I'm fixing to make a welding table here soon

found some used plate for sale, smallest piece is 40" x 244" x 3/4" $650 or 60" x 244" x 3/4 $1000

Thinkin on making 3 tables and selling off two of them lol

It would be fun to have a 5' x 20' table though. A guy wouldn't have to clear it off for a project, just move to another spot.

/ welding table top what thickness needed / #25  
It would be fun to have a 5' x 20' table though. A guy wouldn't have to clear it off for a project, just move to another spot.

if a guy had the shop space for such a beast. could always put wheels and a hitch on it - drag it around with the tractor lol

/ welding table top what thickness needed / #26  
Just finished up my welding table build about 2 months ago, I used 1/2 plate for the top, 1/4 wall rectangular tubing for the frame, 12GA for the bottom shelf and 3X3X3/8 angle for the pipe channel. Weighs in at 1106 lbs with the wheels

Table build 1.jpg

Table build 2.jpg

/ welding table top what thickness needed / #27  
If you want to hold your piece at a comfortable height, all that matters is that it is the right height and can handle the weight of your project.

If you just want some you can tack your work to to ground, 1/4" will do it.

If you want hold your piece perfectly square, level and straight as you put it together, you probably really one a specialized cast table, ground perfectly flat and, with adjustable feet and precisely placed and sized anchor holes.

I worked on a pile of firewood all the way up to the fancy cast and ground table. I've got an old medical exam table lined up for my next welding table. I'll probably top it with 1/4"

/ welding table top what thickness needed / #28  
I made my welding table of what I found at home, it resulted in plate was 4x3 feet and 3 inches thick. Not very concerned that it will bend :D

/ welding table top what thickness needed / #29  
For years and years, if I was lucky, I had a piece of plate on a couple sawhorses. Anyway I never had the need for a big heavy table. Just today I bought this little table, it is adjustable for height, tilt, has edge guides and clamp slots, weighs about 50 lbs. Just right for me, I need something easy to move between our two homes. Anything too heavy I can always go back to the plate/sawhorse plan or just weld it where it sits.

Attachments

• table.jpg
    table.jpg
    430.6 KB · Views: 232
   / welding table top what thickness needed / #30  
My welding table is built with 1/4" x 4" angle iron for the frame with the flange pointed outward with a 4x8' sheet of 3/8" flat on top. This allows me to clamp along the edges. It is on casters. Heavy but will roll.

I also have a simple 2' square frame made with 3/16 x 2" angle iron without a top. This is handy for cradling odd shaped objects & is easy to clamp to. I find myself using this a lot! It has a brace about 2" off the ground so I can turn it upside down if I have something which can roll & the 2" high legs sticking up will prevent it from rolling off.

I have another frame made from 1/4" x 3" angle iron which cradles a piece of rail road rail & a large hunk of steel (2" by 5" tall capped with a 1" x 5" wide flat that I use for anvils.

I will also lay out larger projects on trailers to have them at standing height.

It all depends on what you will be doing as what works best.