Rail Iron Smudger

/ Rail Iron Smudger #1  

AussieJohn

Tractor
Fergies TEA20 (80mm Bore, vertical oil filter) & FE35 (3 cyl Perkins)
Who has built or used one of these, or similar.
Idea is to use it to smooth rough ground in the spring and autumn.
The photos show a rough mock up of the layout planned.
It will have a 3 point hitch with a floating top hitch (similar to most slashers or brush hogs) the plan being to use it behind a MF35.
The 35 lifts the weight with relative ease and still steers ok.
I favour setting the front and rear level with the centre rail forward of centre

smudger for mf35 001.jpgsmudger for mf35 001 (3).jpgsmudger for mf35 001 (4).jpg

/ Rail Iron Smudger #2  
Welcome to TBN John. I suggest you do a search for "landplane" as we call them here as that might give you some ideas. A number of members have built their own.

/ Rail Iron Smudger #3  
All that weight should do a great job of scraping the surface, especially if not a lot of rocks. Please post photos along the way if you can.

/ Rail Iron Smudger #4  
I would build something in the shape of a V or two that way all the dirt removed will get brought back in and re used for low spots. Otherwise I think that the dirt will just spill out the sides or ride up and over and become a problem.
Something more like this: Land Leveler - Freedom® 3pt. Implements

/ Rail Iron Smudger #5  
My dad built one and had the blades on a slight angle so the dirt ect. would spill off of one side. We ran it so that the front blade cut pretty good the middle one less and the back blade would barley drag the ground. Worked very well. I like the angle.

/ Rail Iron Smudger
So Landplane is what you call these things.
Searched for Landplane as mjncad suggested.
Lots of land planes, land graders and drags out there and some great ideas from tractorbynet members. Found these interesting.
DSC00121.JPGimage-4196853292.jpgP1000915.JPG.
but this one from oreok has sent me back to the drawing board.
Plane-1.jpgPlane-4.jpg
Now to figure out how much angle and protrusion to put rail iron on.

/ Rail Iron Smudger #8  
There are many build threads on landplanes. The one picture you posted is the one i built, very simple design

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130220_095229.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130220_095229.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 389
   / Rail Iron Smudger #9  
Pic. of the one that I built.008.JPG009.JPG

/ Rail Iron Smudger #10  
I remember seeing someone on these forums that made a land plane attachment that hooked onto the bottom of his box blade. He could take it on and off the box blade. Pretty ingenious. Do any of you guys remember it? That would be a good way to go.