Bullet trap build

/ Bullet trap build #1  

jwmorris

Veteran Member
The target thread reminded me of the back yard bullet trap I built. It's only 3/8" thick mild steel so I only use .22's, pistols and pistol caliber carbines with it but it's better than nothing. Its 8' tall and just over 16 feet wide, weighs around 4000 lbs.

IMAG0138.jpg

IMAG0892.jpg

IMAG0894.jpg

a1bullettrap-1.jpg

IMAG0959.jpg

/ Bullet trap build #2  
Extremely cool! I'm guessing you didn't pay full retail for the metal. LOL

/ Bullet trap build #3  
Now that there is a trap! What's the story with your torch set up? I've never seen that before.

/ Bullet trap build #4  
It's a straight line cutter. It is motorized and follows the "track" We had one at a shop I worked in.

/ Bullet trap build #5  
600 rider:

nice, lots of STEEL in that bugger, we built our own track torch looked almost identical to yours. It had the oxy torch on it and we modified to hold the plasma too. It was a bit slow for the plasma on light stuff so we mostly just used the track as a side guide. but we cut some thicker stuff with it at it's high speed setting to cut which was useable but not best.

those are some BIG sheets BTW must have gotten them discount from work?

I've got First Energy high tension lines on my place and they are taking out about a dozen trees next week as they are getting close to the lines. Most of them are POPPLE trees (kind of a type of mixed hybrid popular) that are not really even good for fire place as they stink when burning. Those are going to be cut into ~8' lengths and I'm building a sand bank behind them & burying them about 1/3 and sand in behind them. they are going to be uphill from my target so top will be about 6 or 7 feet above the target and 8~10 feet back. That is going to be 100% tractor project & maybe a shovel.? :eek:)

Mark

/ Bullet trap build #6  
When your title said "bullet trap" I figured something to use inside a shop or basement, like two or 3ft wide. That sucker is HUGE!

/ Bullet trap build #7  
That's a spray and pray bullet trap! Lol

/ Bullet trap build #8  
Ahhhh, would not a Berm of equal height and width not be less expensive,,, and stop all bullets of any size? Not that your Catcher is not cool. But a picture of efficiency,,,. Pretty impressive non the less though.

Last edited:
   / Bullet trap build #9  
Ahhhh, would not a Berm of equal height and width not be less expensive,,, and stop all bullets of any size? Not that your Catcher is not cool. But a picture of efficiency,,,. Pretty impressive non the less though.

It makes it easy to collect the lead.