Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bronze Member ROYCEWILLARDOKLAHOMA's Avatar
    Tractor
    MX 5100 KUBOTA 2012/

Default Re: Pto sprayer for different vegetable crops

Roller pump pto sprayer. Its cheaper faster, more dependable, More pressure, and they stock a wide variety of parts and rebuild kits for them. They have 4, 6, and 8 roller pumps, and they have enough pressure to build your own little fire truck if need be. And you only need low rpm's , In fact idle rpm is plenty. You can even mix agg lime and water and spray lime to bring up ph instead of using pellitized or a drop spreader. you can also mix cheap soap and water and spray the heck out of fire ants until you move them plumb off your land without chemicals. One roller pump will suit your needs no matter how you build your sprayer.
    Willardskillard

Tractor
    Mahindra 5010

Thanks Royce!

Tractor
    John Deere 6210

I would recommend a roller pump for herbicides and any general liquid pesticide but that is about it. I would go with a diaphragm pump although it is significantly more expensive. The reason why is because since you are trying to go for a multi use sprayer I am assuming you want to also use a wide array of pesticide formulations from wettable powders, emulsifieds, etc. and roller pumps wont last long with some of these formulations due to the abrasiveness. Also the diaphragm pump will create more than enough pressure to allow you to due chemigation/fertigation into your dripline a big plus nowadays for those who use drip.

Pressure is not something that you really need unless you are doing foliar fertilizing, this is because of the drift issues that come along with high pressure which can equate to fines, unintentional drift onto nearby non registered crops, and bad publicity for your farm. Therefore gather a list of general pesticides you plan on using and ask a local PCA (pest control advisor can usually be found at any chemical dealer), your county extension office, local Ag university, and/or just google search as to what flow rates, nozzle type (ie: fan, hollow cone, etc.) that you need to get best coverage of a particular crop all while minimizing the risk of drift.

Once you get the type of nozzles then go ahead and see how they fan out and then take that measurement to determine the total number of nozzles you will need. Then determine your required pressures and flow rate that you will need for the nozzle's associated spec chart.

Another note, is you can get rollover nozzle bodies that allow you to do different rates (nozzles) and turn off those you dont need , probably a plus for what you are trying to do.

Tractor
    Mahindra 5010

Thank you for your explanation Bennett. You have some first hand advice. I really just want pressure for fungicide. No crops around me, just pasture. I am fortunate in that my wife was, until this year, our county ag agent. Her back ground is integrated pest management, primarily row crops. Unfortunately these strawberries are a whole new world for us. Her brain says one thing ( pretty much as you stated), but I got a guy with twenty+ years of strawberry farming saying something else. She's saying it's my call, in this subject I might as well be the village idiot!
    Talk about a rock and a hard spot. Brittany is liking the idea of a hooded air? mist? Sprayer. I think its too much champaign on our coca cola budget. Currently we utilize a siphon style injector for fertigation. I'm using lay flat hoses running from well, we do not utilize permanent plumbing to fields. Will sprayer pump work with this system?

Bronze Member ROYCEWILLARDOKLAHOMA's Avatar
    Tractor
    MX 5100 KUBOTA 2012/

Quote Originally Posted by bennettfarms View Post
    I would recommend a roller pump for herbicides and any general liquid pesticide but that is about it. I would go with a diaphragm pump although it is significantly more expensive. The reason why is because since you are trying to go for a multi use sprayer I am assuming you want to also use a wide array of pesticide formulations from wettable powders, emulsifieds, etc. and roller pumps wont last long with some of these formulations due to the abrasiveness. Also the diaphragm pump will create more than enough pressure to allow you to due chemigation/fertigation into your dripline a big plus nowadays for those who use drip.

Pressure is not something that you really need unless you are doing foliar fertilizing, this is because of the drift issues that come along with high pressure which can equate to fines, unintentional drift onto nearby non registered crops, and bad publicity for your farm. Therefore gather a list of general pesticides you plan on using and ask a local PCA (pest control advisor can usually be found at any chemical dealer), your county extension office, local Ag university, and/or just google search as to what flow rates, nozzle type (ie: fan, hollow cone, etc.) that you need to get best coverage of a particular crop all while minimizing the risk of drift.

Once you get the type of nozzles then go ahead and see how they fan out and then take that measurement to determine the total number of nozzles you will need. Then determine your required pressures and flow rate that you will need for the nozzle's associated spec chart.

Another note, is you can get rollover nozzle bodies that allow you to do different rates (nozzles) and turn off those you dont need , probably a plus for what you are trying to do.
    wow man, Thanks for the info, Thats good stuff. Im switching to the roller pump though because the spray tips will compensate mostly through droplet size to control drift. And Plus I want pressure and volume and ease of use for controled burning as well as spraying. I have always used 12 volt pumps with good results. But seems like they work you too hard, charging batterys, hanging wires and pulling them loose, pumps freezing , leaking, or weak. I just am ready for one strong pump with replaceable parts that plugs in to the pto and pumps like crazy with the flip of the switch and turns off the same way to save chemical. One that wont stop up, one that I can change spray tips easy for the job im doing, I can use the boomless nozzel for a 25 foot spray pattern yet still get in tight places . I wont tear it up easy. I can un chain it in the winter , unhook 2 hoses and throw it over my shoulder and head for the garage where it wont freeze. Im tired of baby sitting 12 volt pumps.
    Willardskillard

Tractor
    John Deere 6210

ROYCE: You can get a diaphragm pump for the pto they are just pricier and for what you seem to want to do it would be fine using a roller pump.

Reyer Farms: Look at the picture I have attached. I found this in the UC IPM manual for strawberries, happen to do consulting with berries. But you may want to get the book lots of good information on related pests and management. I would do a setup similar to that and use hollow cone nozzles. It will do some good coverage at recommended pressures for the tips. I would do a medium droplet size when looking up tips and their related operating pressure & related flow rate.

Pto sprayer for different vegetable crops-photo-jpg

Also have you heard of strawberry bug vacuums? look them up if you haven't, there is good research supporting that they keeping pest populations from growing but don't count on them doing a knockdown to zero. Definitely something to implement into your integrated pest management scheme.

As for doing other crops what would be cool is having quick connect couplings between your supply line and different booms that you could attach for different crops. So basically have a three point basic sprayer setup ie: tank, pump, valving and then have a quick means to put on/off different configured hardline booms.

And you can never go wrong with hoods but it will ultimately come down to what you want to spend.

Also you can pump in at the well head with the diaphragm pump but you will want to do extra research on chemigation/fertigation and related equipment. Because you will need a backflow preventer on the well head and on your sprayer, and in some places they require you to have some means of tying in the two systems so that if one fails the other turns off, etc. Maybe want to drop by your local county ag commissioner and see if they can help you on compliance, etc.

Tractor
    Mahindra 5010

Looking at an air mist sprayer now. Your thoughts please. I looking at less water and chemical for better coverage- but wonder about break even on the upgrade??? Guy that I spoke with said 40% of mist is on underside of foliage.

Tractor
    Mahindra 5010

Sorry Bennetfarms I just saw your post. Thanks for the ipm info. I am going to get that book. I have not heard of the vacuums, but I will look into them.
    I have two back flow preventers on my fertigation system as well as the ones that well contractor installed ( one is in the well, on at control on top). We are running behind, money and time is short. We have some bad cold weather coming this weekend, so it's kinda hectic here.

Tractor
    Mahindra 5010

Order Air mist sprayer today. Hoping it's ships soon. I think it was the best choice for us in the long run. Thanks for everyone's help.
    Jody

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12