Trailer Mover

/ Trailer Mover #1  

ToolBoxTavern

Silver Member
Tractor
4wd 4025 Mahindra
This seems to be a very useful tool and I believe will be even more useful in the future. We wanted a trailer mover, but for a $150+ tax and shipping I couldnt see buying one. So I built one.

I came up with some dimensions I thought would be suitable for the project and got started. All thou I have had compliments on it, I believe because of the paint, I still built it keeping in mind function over looks. I did add extra bracing, D rings, hooks, and a top receiver tube. That makes it more useful and did make the cost go up, but still under a $150 and you still will not find anything close to it with the possible functions that this piece of equipment will have.

I think it looks good on the 4wd 4025 Mahindra.

20121223_135416.jpg20121224_140747.jpg20130106_122912.jpg20130106_141409.jpg

/ Trailer Mover #4  
Toolbox, good looking hitch you built. The first one I ever saw I built 20 yrs ago, had never seen one but used an old reciever hitch taken off of a trade in truck, just cut it down and added the riser for the top link plus the pins on each end. I put my first one on an 80 HP Belarus and moved a 12 X 60 MH across a field with it, it's built sturdy. I have 3 total.

You did well but you're just getting started if you like my ideas. It is my most used piece of equipment.

I started out just moving trailers with it but needed a section harrow and instead of building the whole thing and rebuilding the 3ph part specifically for that rake I got a piece of 2 in tubing and slid it in my trailer mover and then built the section harrow off of it. Instead of using the International 140 style 1 point hitch I use the trailer mover style 1 point hitch.

I have built 4 different style rakes that inserts into my hitch, 2 single lay off plows/middle busters, converted a mule drawn middle buster by cutting the plow off and welding a piece of 2" tubing to insert into my hitch, quick and easy and use the existing hitch for the hook-up.

I have 2 factory boom poles but also made 2 more that insert into my hitch that will handle most things and they are quick and easier to install than dropping the hitch and installing the factory boom pole. I used a short piece of tubing and then welded another piece on pointed up but angled back somewhat. Got one that is 4-5 ft tall and one 18" tall. The short one works better for pulling downed trees than a factory boom pole.

I took an old mule drawn "weeder" and used the steel parts to build a rear cultivator. It already had spread out "C" tines, I seperated it and built a 2" tubing frame, even made it to adjust out or in as my plants grow, very neat and handy cultivator, gotten lots of compliments off of it. It too plugs into the trailer mover.

Just today I built a wheel lift for my lawn mowers and cub cadets that inserts into that hitch. If one breaks down I can go get it by myself and get it in my shop easily.

I have a fence wire spool that plugs into my hitch. I built that one extending out far enough it also can be worked off of my pickup or tractor.

I use one of my middle buster type plows with a medium shovel mounted on it to plow a ditch for water or electric lines and then clean out the loose dirt with a shovel. I am going to build one with 1 tooth out of a boxblade and mount a piece of PVC elbow to the back and let my hitch install wiring in the ditch and never doing any shovel work to get it down except for the ends up against a pole or building where I can't get that close.

Keep in mind, anytime you need to build something to work off the rear of your tractor, you already have the 3ph for it welded up, just insert a piece of tubing and start welding to build all sorts of things.

I work one of those slide in carriers in the hitch if I need to carry buckets or small items. Thinking about building a set of pallet forks to work off my hitch also.

Great hitch you've got. Now you can get creative and build all sorts of attachments to use in that hitch.

/ Trailer Mover
Toolbox, good looking hitch you built. The first one I ever saw I built 20 yrs ago, had never seen one but used an old reciever hitch taken off of a trade in truck, just cut it down and added the riser for the top link plus the pins on each end. I put my first one on an 80 HP Belarus and moved a 12 X 60 MH across a field with it, it's built sturdy. I have 3 total.

You did well but you're just getting started if you like my ideas. It is my most used piece of equipment.

I started out just moving trailers with it but needed a section harrow and instead of building the whole thing and rebuilding the 3ph part specifically for that rake I got a piece of 2 in tubing and slid it in my trailer mover and then built the section harrow off of it. Instead of using the International 140 style 1 point hitch I use the trailer mover style 1 point hitch.

I have built 4 different style rakes that inserts into my hitch, 2 single lay off plows/middle busters, converted a mule drawn middle buster by cutting the plow off and welding a piece of 2" tubing to insert into my hitch, quick and easy and use the existing hitch for the hook-up.

I have 2 factory boom poles but also made 2 more that insert into my hitch that will handle most things and they are quick and easier to install than dropping the hitch and installing the factory boom pole. I used a short piece of tubing and then welded another piece on pointed up but angled back somewhat. Got one that is 4-5 ft tall and one 18" tall. The short one works better for pulling downed trees than a factory boom pole.

I took an old mule drawn "weeder" and used the steel parts to build a rear cultivator. It already had spread out "C" tines, I seperated it and built a 2" tubing frame, even made it to adjust out or in as my plants grow, very neat and handy cultivator, gotten lots of compliments off of it. It too plugs into the trailer mover.

Just today I built a wheel lift for my lawn mowers and cub cadets that inserts into that hitch. If one breaks down I can go get it by myself and get it in my shop easily.

I have a fence wire spool that plugs into my hitch. I built that one extending out far enough it also can be worked off of my pickup or tractor.

I use one of my middle buster type plows with a medium shovel mounted on it to plow a ditch for water or electric lines and then clean out the loose dirt with a shovel. I am going to build one with 1 tooth out of a boxblade and mount a piece of PVC elbow to the back and let my hitch install wiring in the ditch and never doing any shovel work to get it down except for the ends up against a pole or building where I can't get that close.

Keep in mind, anytime you need to build something to work off the rear of your tractor, you already have the 3ph for it welded up, just insert a piece of tubing and start welding to build all sorts of things.

I work one of those slide in carriers in the hitch if I need to carry buckets or small items. Thinking about building a set of pallet forks to work off my hitch also.

Great hitch you've got. Now you can get creative and build all sorts of attachments to use in that hitch.

WOW! I would love to see pictures of all of your builds.

/ Trailer Mover #6  
This seems to be a very useful tool and I believe will be even more useful in the future. We wanted a trailer mover, but for a $150+ tax and shipping I couldnt see buying one. So I built one.

I came up with some dimensions I thought would be suitable for the project and got started. All thou I have had compliments on it, I believe because of the paint, I still built it keeping in mind function over looks. I did add extra bracing, D rings, hooks, and a top receiver tube.

Nice job! One thing I would suggest adding is a limit chain. If the trailer happens to be rear-heavy or the tongue lifts going down hill, or even a quick stop, the trailer tongue can lift the 3pt to a dangerous degree. Here's a picture of what I'm referring to... King Kutter 3-point Trailer Mover. Attach the limit chain to the draw bar.
I've had my trailer tongue lift a couple of times and was glad I had the limit chain. You may never experience those situations, but I thought you might be interested any way. Again... nice job!

/ Trailer Mover
Nice job! One thing I would suggest adding is a limit chain. If the trailer happens to be rear-heavy or the tongue lifts going down hill, or even a quick stop, the trailer tongue can lift the 3pt to a dangerous degree. Here's a picture of what I'm referring to... King Kutter 3-point Trailer Mover. Attach the limit chain to the draw bar.
I've had my trailer tongue lift a couple of times and was glad I had the limit chain. You may never experience those situations, but I thought you might be interested any way. Again... nice job!

Now you tell me.....LOL. Thanx. I will definitely get something done bout that if I remember. Majority of my property is flat and if I was gonna haul long distance I would hook to the draw bar.

/ Trailer Mover #8  
Pictures? Sounds interesting and could be useful for us.

Thanks

Aaron Z

/ Trailer Mover #9  
For a bumper pull trailer I prefer to use a hitch on the front of the tractor. Makes backing the trailer into a shed or barn a lot easier.

Russell

/ Trailer Mover #10  
For a bumper pull trailer I prefer to use a hitch on the front of the tractor. Makes backing the trailer into a shed or barn a lot easier.
Our RTV has a front hitch and it is the cats meow for backing up a haywagon type trailer (with a steer axle).

Aaron Z