Building 3pt sprayer -need info on component parts

/ Building 3pt sprayer -need info on component parts #11  
Here's a cut and paste from the Hypro website , Hypro Pumps - Roller - Summary

"Specific seal, roller and casting materials can be selected for compatibility with certain herbicides, pesticides, fungicides and fertilizers."

My 6 roller silver series has the Viton seals, and Super Rollers. AFAIK, that's a standard configuration. I've used mine with glyphosate and other herbicides and pesticides. I clean it after every use and store it with anti-freeze capped off in it. Works like it did when I first bought it.

/ Building 3pt sprayer -need info on component parts
Here's a cut and paste from the Hypro website , Hypro Pumps - Roller - Summary

"Specific seal, roller and casting materials can be selected for compatibility with certain herbicides, pesticides, fungicides and fertilizers."

My 6 roller silver series has the Viton seals, and Super Rollers. AFAIK, that's a standard configuration. I've used mine with glyphosate and other herbicides and pesticides. I clean it after every use and store it with anti-freeze capped off in it. Works like it did when I first bought it.

How do you figure out the amount of pressure you need? The 6500 pumps 9.7 gallons per minute.

/ Building 3pt sprayer -need info on component parts #13  
You're building a 200 gallon sprayer, right? How big is the boom going to be? What do you want to spray? Once you've determined these, you can select the spray tip that gives you the coverage you're looking for. When you've selected the tips you need, the info for them will tell you the recommended spacing on the boom, height, and pressure and rate requirements. Here's a good link, TeeJet - Spray Nozzles . It should help you quite a bit in your design. When you know how many tips you'll have, the flow and pressure required, you'll be able to select the right pump.

My homebrew sprayer is for mostly direct spraying of herbicides and pesticides, both off the boom and from a gun. The boom is 12', tip spacing is 20", 8 spray tips (flood tips), recommended pressure is 40 PSI. The 6 roller silver series was more than adequate for my needs.

Sprayer002.jpg

Here's a very simple diagram of my "design". Look at mjncad's pictures, he's got a sweet little sprayer, too.

Homebuiltsprayerplumbing.jpg

Thanks it is 200 gallon and his sprayer is
certainly sweet.

I am trying to decide whether I should go with nozzles on 20 or 30 inch spacing. Your thoughts?

/ Building 3pt sprayer -need info on component parts #16  
When I rebuilt our 3-pt sprayer I used Irrigation Nozzles - they are much cheaper then the ones that came on it, they are plastic and not affected by the chemicals, they are available at DIY centers and easy to replace.

Of course, I do irrigation work and was able to size them correctly by coverage and GPM

A few questions;

1. What is the most common hose size for the pump? I am running 3/4 on the boom.
2. I have a pressure relief valve and an electric regulating valve. Is a throttle valve necessary?
3. If I am going to use a spray wand, where does it get plumed in as compared to other items?

/ Building 3pt sprayer -need info on component parts #18  
A few questions;

1. What is the most common hose size for the pump? I am running 3/4 on the boom.
Depends on the size of pump which depends on size of booms and targeted application rates.
2. I have a pressure relief valve and an electric regulating valve. Is a throttle valve necessary?
I would definetly include a sparge valve, that is a line tee'd between the pump output and the tank used for circulating to mix chemicals and can be adjusted to set desired pressure at tips.
3. If I am going to use a spray wand, where does it get plumed in as compared to other items?
between the Sparge and boom control valves.

I would have
TANK-----Shutoff valve---------PUMP---------tee to Gauge-------tee to Sparge Valve-------tee to Wand Valve-------Boom Section Control Valves----- flow moniters------ tee to Gauge-------Tips

/ Building 3pt sprayer -need info on component parts #19  
Here's a shot of my sprayer from the tractor seat. At the lower left side of the tank is the suction line. It flows through the suction strainer to the pump. The pump discharges up the line to the manifold, the pressure gauge indicates 44 PSI with both solenoid valves shut. The first valve operates the boom, the second valve is for the spray gun. To the left of the valves is the regulator/relief valve. When running with both valves closed, the flow from the pump is regulated by adjusting the T handle to the desired pressure, and diverted to the line going into the top of the tank. This line goes all the way to the bottom, and acts as an agitation line to keep the solution mixed. The recommended PSI for the flood tips I use is 40 PSI. By adjusting to 44, when the boom valve is opened 40 PSI is achieved. This picture shows only 1 valve to control the whole boom. I've since added 2 additional solenoid valves to control the boom left, center, and right sections independantly or all together. They were added in the manifold before the valve for the spray gun. I tried to simplify the design, and still have the functionality I was looking for. Pump lines are 3/4", lines to boom are and spray tips are 3/8".

Sprayer003.jpg