Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    269
    Location
    Ohio
    Tractor
    JD 6330, JD 5055e, Ford 4000,

    Default Building 3pt sprayer -need info on component parts

    Hello,

    I am building a 200 gallon 3pt sprayer soon. We have a machine shop and a fab shop, BUT I will be honest most everything I every know about sprayers I have forgotten. We can fabricate whatever we need. I am looking for recommendations regarding the parts we need - pump, spray tip types, regulators etc etc. I want to build a really nice one so let her fly. I saw some on here with a detachable hose reel and I am certainly going to put one of those on there. Thanks for your help.

  2. #2
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    17
    Location
    Sussex Co., Va.
    Tractor
    1952 JD B w/44H plow, #5 mower, 1966 JD 2510 Diesel w/JD47 loader. 1945 JD H

    Default Re: Building 3pt sprayer -need info on component parts

    Contact Tee-Jet for their catalogue. They will explain pump types, nozzle size, regulators, etc and they supply most of the manufacturors. Might can pick one up at your local tractor/farm supply store. I made all my sprayers back when I farmed. I used a 1 1/4" ribbed suction hose from the ball valve/filter at the tank to the pump and a 1" pressure hose from the pump to the filter on the regulator. Regulator to the booms was 3/4" pressure hose and 1/2" hose to the tips. Don't forget to pipe the overflow from the regulator back into the tank. Use a stiff plastic pipe with an agitator on the end which will also keep the spray mixture stirred. Spray tip size is determined by pressure/gallons per acre/forward speed and Tee Jet has calculated that for each of their tips. Use their quick attach tip system and their electric solenoid activated regulators (one for each boom,) mounted on a manifold you can buy or make from 1 1/4" plastic fittings. This is where your gauge goes and get a liquid filled one. I made a switch box with a master flip switch and separate flips for each regulator. Have the hose reel on its own regulator connected to the manifold. Tee Jet also has wands and tips for that. Pumps are determined by pressure requirements. Centrifugal pumps max out at about 60 lbs. Roller pumps can deliver higher pressures for fogging in dense foliage. Centrifugal cost more but last longer and I used them for basic chem apps on row-crops. Chain either to the drawbar. Piston pumps are for low pressure high volume such as liquid fertilizers. Be sure to use all-stainless clamps.
    I also used a Red Ball Monitor, which hooks up to each boom regulator via a short length of hose. You can see the red ball riding on the flow and if all balls are the same height then flow is equal. If one ball is riding different than the others then there is a flow problem in that line.
    Make a stand that will fold up, allowing a lower ground clearance and also allowing access to the filler hole while standing on the ground.
    Google Tee Jet and Red Ball.

  3. #3
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,316
    Location
    Trivoli, IL
    Tractor
    SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester

    Default Re: Building 3pt sprayer -need info on component parts

    what are you going to use the sprayer for? 200 gallon is getting pretty good size and weight will get up there.

    are you dealing with fence lines, are you spraying crop, pasture? lawn? are you just wanting a hand wand, or booms that swing out?
    Ryan

  4. #4
    Super Member mjncad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,114
    Location
    In the civilized First World
    Tractor
    A couple

    Default Re: Building 3pt sprayer -need info on component parts

    Breen provided a lot of good advice. I'll just add a link to my highly modified FIMCO 55-gallon sprayer that may give you some ideas.

    https://picasaweb.google.com/1101061.../FIMCOSprayer#
    Paraphrasing Douglas Adams - So long and thanks for all the bacon.

  5. #5
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    269
    Location
    Ohio
    Tractor
    JD 6330, JD 5055e, Ford 4000,

    Default Re: Building 3pt sprayer -need info on component parts

    Quote Originally Posted by Breen View Post
    Contact Tee-Jet for their catalogue. They will explain pump types, nozzle size, regulators, etc and they supply most of the manufacturors. Might can pick one up at your local tractor/farm supply store. I made all my sprayers back when I farmed. I used a 1 1/4" ribbed suction hose from the ball valve/filter at the tank to the pump and a 1" pressure hose from the pump to the filter on the regulator. Regulator to the booms was 3/4" pressure hose and 1/2" hose to the tips. Don't forget to pipe the overflow from the regulator back into the tank. Use a stiff plastic pipe with an agitator on the end which will also keep the spray mixture stirred. Spray tip size is determined by pressure/gallons per acre/forward speed and Tee Jet has calculated that for each of their tips. Use their quick attach tip system and their electric solenoid activated regulators (one for each boom,) mounted on a manifold you can buy or make from 1 1/4" plastic fittings. This is where your gauge goes and get a liquid filled one. I made a switch box with a master flip switch and separate flips for each regulator. Have the hose reel on its own regulator connected to the manifold. Tee Jet also has wands and tips for that. Pumps are determined by pressure requirements. Centrifugal pumps max out at about 60 lbs. Roller pumps can deliver higher pressures for fogging in dense foliage. Centrifugal cost more but last longer and I used them for basic chem apps on row-crops. Chain either to the drawbar. Piston pumps are for low pressure high volume such as liquid fertilizers. Be sure to use all-stainless clamps.
    I also used a Red Ball Monitor, which hooks up to each boom regulator via a short length of hose. You can see the red ball riding on the flow and if all balls are the same height then flow is equal. If one ball is riding different than the others then there is a flow problem in that line.
    Make a stand that will fold up, allowing a lower ground clearance and also allowing access to the filler hole while standing on the ground.
    Google Tee Jet and Red Ball.
    Thanks a ton!

  6. #6
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    269
    Location
    Ohio
    Tractor
    JD 6330, JD 5055e, Ford 4000,

    Default Re: Building 3pt sprayer -need info on component parts

    Quote Originally Posted by boggen View Post
    what are you going to use the sprayer for? 200 gallon is getting pretty good size and weight will get up there.

    are you dealing with fence lines, are you spraying crop, pasture? lawn? are you just wanting a hand wand, or booms that swing out?
    I will spray some row crops and some food plots, but I have about 850 acres give or take and new JD 6330 on the way so it will handle the tank. Actually, I just picked up a 225 gallon tank today.

  7. #7
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,316
    Location
    Trivoli, IL
    Tractor
    SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester

    Default Re: Building 3pt sprayer -need info on component parts

    farming simulator 2011 (not the 2013) i have not tried that out, but the older 2011 farming simulator game. has a pretty hefty amount of different sprayers / mods (addon on tractors and implements someone else beside game company made up). that goes down to pretty good detail of various parts. that you can see from the outside.

    =========
    your valves are going to set you back a good amount. more so the electrical valves. to control from tractor seat.

    northentool, grainger, tractor supply, farm and fleet, farm king. are stores around here, that carry pretty much all that you would need. if ya one of them folks, better off going into store, and figuring it out as ya put pieces together.

    consider main drain on tank, nearest to corner as possible on bottom. so that you might be able to "adjust" the lower link arm on that side. to tip tank to that side a few degrees. and be able to flush the tank out before putting in some other chemical.

    there are multi ways of coming out of tank, and sending hose to inlet on pump. but regardless of what you do, you will want an "anti air" setup. so when ya get down to those last few gallons, your not sucking air, with the liquid. Koiphen.com goto pond construction forum. and look up "bottom drains" or just google "DIY bottom drains" granted these are for ponds. but the dome setup, can work nicely. in keeping air being sucked. both from just low level in tank, and the whirl pool / vortex current that can happen (draining sink and hearing the slurp slurp slurp)

    consider how your "tees" that go out to the booms are setup. and removing air from those hoses / pipes. so all spray nozzles work correctly. without the very end nozzles not working. ((ya turn off sprayer, turn, turn on sprayer)) that alone can be enough to allow air back up into the boom and cause you problems.

    consider height adjustment for spray nozzles. either letting them dangle down. or some sort of height adjustment in booms. to help control drifting of mist.

    if ya working fence lines, consider some sort of "shear bolt" or spring setup, so when a boom does nail something, it bends backwards and away, vs ya spending next day repairing things.
    Ryan

  8. #8
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    269
    Location
    Ohio
    Tractor
    JD 6330, JD 5055e, Ford 4000,

    Default Re: Building 3pt sprayer -need info on component parts

    What recommendations do you all have for roller pumps? I will spray round up for certain as an FYI. There are a lot of versions out there.

  9. #9
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    185
    Location
    SW MO
    Tractor
    1966 John Deere 1020/37 Loader

    Default Re: Building 3pt sprayer -need info on component parts

    Quote Originally Posted by hotchkiss View Post
    What recommendations do you all have for roller pumps? I will spray round up for certain as an FYI. There are a lot of versions out there.
    Silver Series Hypro.

    Cut and paste from this site, Hypro Pumps

    Hypro Roller pump features:
    Housing is available in cast iron, Ni-Resist or Silver Series
    Cast Iron is an economical favorite for general spraying applications
    Ni-Resist is a high nickel content alloy for better corrosion resistance
    Silver Series has a custom alloy that provides the best corrosion
    resistance and is Ready for use with Roundup´Ż«
    Self-priming operation; roller pumps should NOT be run dry
    Adaptable to PTOs or gas engines
    Standard seals are Viton or Buna-N (leather optional)
    Standard Super Rollers provide the chemical resistance of nylon
    and the life of polypropylene

    Here's a link to some more info. Hypro - Hypro 6500XL Roller Pump - Sprayer Depot
    Briar Hill Brittanys....."Finest in the Field" www.briarhillbrittanys.com

  10. #10
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    269
    Location
    Ohio
    Tractor
    JD 6330, JD 5055e, Ford 4000,

    Default Re: Building 3pt sprayer -need info on component parts

    Quote Originally Posted by Briar Hill Brittanys View Post
    Silver Series Hypro.

    Cut and paste from this site, Hypro Pumps

    Hypro Roller pump features:
    Housing is available in cast iron, Ni-Resist or Silver Series
    Cast Iron is an economical favorite for general spraying applications
    Ni-Resist is a high nickel content alloy for better corrosion resistance
    Silver Series has a custom alloy that provides the best corrosion
    resistance and is Ready for use with Roundup´Ż«
    Self-priming operation; roller pumps should NOT be run dry
    Adaptable to PTOs or gas engines
    Standard seals are Viton or Buna-N (leather optional)
    Standard Super Rollers provide the chemical resistance of nylon
    and the life of polypropylene

    Here's a link to some more info. Hypro - Hypro 6500XL Roller Pump - Sprayer Depot
    Thanks, the language is a little confusing regarding the seals. As written they
    Make it appear as though you have to select your seal type.
    Do you have to do that or is there just one version of the silver series?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Building boom sprayer w/foam marker
    By PineRidge in forum Build-It Yourself
    Replies: 103
    Last Post: 08-10-2014, 08:40 AM
  2. Sprayer need help with a sprayer I am building !!
    By tbenn7362 in forum Attachments
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-23-2009, 08:59 PM
  3. Building a 3pt sprayer, any thoughts
    By Hookblock in forum Build-It Yourself
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-23-2008, 11:28 PM
  4. Sprayer Need parts to re-build a 3pt. Sprayer
    By MFL in forum Attachments
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-30-2006, 02:09 PM
  5. Building a Sprayer?
    By kevincook in forum Attachments
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2002, 12:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.