Building 3pt sprayer -need info on component parts

/ Building 3pt sprayer -need info on component parts #1  

hotchkiss

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 6330, JD 5055e, Ford 4000,
Hello,

I am building a 200 gallon 3pt sprayer soon. We have a machine shop and a fab shop, BUT I will be honest most everything I every know about sprayers I have forgotten. We can fabricate whatever we need. I am looking for recommendations regarding the parts we need - pump, spray tip types, regulators etc etc. I want to build a really nice one so let her fly. I saw some on here with a detachable hose reel and I am certainly going to put one of those on there. Thanks for your help.

/ Building 3pt sprayer -need info on component parts #2  
Contact Tee-Jet for their catalogue. They will explain pump types, nozzle size, regulators, etc and they supply most of the manufacturors. Might can pick one up at your local tractor/farm supply store. I made all my sprayers back when I farmed. I used a 1 1/4" ribbed suction hose from the ball valve/filter at the tank to the pump and a 1" pressure hose from the pump to the filter on the regulator. Regulator to the booms was 3/4" pressure hose and 1/2" hose to the tips. Don't forget to pipe the overflow from the regulator back into the tank. Use a stiff plastic pipe with an agitator on the end which will also keep the spray mixture stirred. Spray tip size is determined by pressure/gallons per acre/forward speed and Tee Jet has calculated that for each of their tips. Use their quick attach tip system and their electric solenoid activated regulators (one for each boom,) mounted on a manifold you can buy or make from 1 1/4" plastic fittings. This is where your gauge goes and get a liquid filled one. I made a switch box with a master flip switch and separate flips for each regulator. Have the hose reel on its own regulator connected to the manifold. Tee Jet also has wands and tips for that. Pumps are determined by pressure requirements. Centrifugal pumps max out at about 60 lbs. Roller pumps can deliver higher pressures for fogging in dense foliage. Centrifugal cost more but last longer and I used them for basic chem apps on row-crops. Chain either to the drawbar. Piston pumps are for low pressure high volume such as liquid fertilizers. Be sure to use all-stainless clamps.
I also used a Red Ball Monitor, which hooks up to each boom regulator via a short length of hose. You can see the red ball riding on the flow and if all balls are the same height then flow is equal. If one ball is riding different than the others then there is a flow problem in that line.
Make a stand that will fold up, allowing a lower ground clearance and also allowing access to the filler hole while standing on the ground.
Google Tee Jet and Red Ball.

/ Building 3pt sprayer -need info on component parts #3  
what are you going to use the sprayer for? 200 gallon is getting pretty good size and weight will get up there.

are you dealing with fence lines, are you spraying crop, pasture? lawn? are you just wanting a hand wand, or booms that swing out?

/ Building 3pt sprayer -need info on component parts
Contact Tee-Jet for their catalogue. They will explain pump types, nozzle size, regulators, etc and they supply most of the manufacturors. Might can pick one up at your local tractor/farm supply store. I made all my sprayers back when I farmed. I used a 1 1/4" ribbed suction hose from the ball valve/filter at the tank to the pump and a 1" pressure hose from the pump to the filter on the regulator. Regulator to the booms was 3/4" pressure hose and 1/2" hose to the tips. Don't forget to pipe the overflow from the regulator back into the tank. Use a stiff plastic pipe with an agitator on the end which will also keep the spray mixture stirred. Spray tip size is determined by pressure/gallons per acre/forward speed and Tee Jet has calculated that for each of their tips. Use their quick attach tip system and their electric solenoid activated regulators (one for each boom,) mounted on a manifold you can buy or make from 1 1/4" plastic fittings. This is where your gauge goes and get a liquid filled one. I made a switch box with a master flip switch and separate flips for each regulator. Have the hose reel on its own regulator connected to the manifold. Tee Jet also has wands and tips for that. Pumps are determined by pressure requirements. Centrifugal pumps max out at about 60 lbs. Roller pumps can deliver higher pressures for fogging in dense foliage. Centrifugal cost more but last longer and I used them for basic chem apps on row-crops. Chain either to the drawbar. Piston pumps are for low pressure high volume such as liquid fertilizers. Be sure to use all-stainless clamps.
I also used a Red Ball Monitor, which hooks up to each boom regulator via a short length of hose. You can see the red ball riding on the flow and if all balls are the same height then flow is equal. If one ball is riding different than the others then there is a flow problem in that line.
Make a stand that will fold up, allowing a lower ground clearance and also allowing access to the filler hole while standing on the ground.
Google Tee Jet and Red Ball.

Thanks a ton!

what are you going to use the sprayer for? 200 gallon is getting pretty good size and weight will get up there.

are you dealing with fence lines, are you spraying crop, pasture? lawn? are you just wanting a hand wand, or booms that swing out?

I will spray some row crops and some food plots, but I have about 850 acres give or take and new JD 6330 on the way so it will handle the tank. Actually, I just picked up a 225 gallon tank today.

/ Building 3pt sprayer -need info on component parts #7  
farming simulator 2011 (not the 2013) i have not tried that out, but the older 2011 farming simulator game. has a pretty hefty amount of different sprayers / mods (addon on tractors and implements someone else beside game company made up). that goes down to pretty good detail of various parts. that you can see from the outside.

=========
your valves are going to set you back a good amount. more so the electrical valves. to control from tractor seat.

northentool, grainger, tractor supply, farm and fleet, farm king. are stores around here, that carry pretty much all that you would need. if ya one of them folks, better off going into store, and figuring it out as ya put pieces together.

consider main drain on tank, nearest to corner as possible on bottom. so that you might be able to "adjust" the lower link arm on that side. to tip tank to that side a few degrees. and be able to flush the tank out before putting in some other chemical.

there are multi ways of coming out of tank, and sending hose to inlet on pump. but regardless of what you do, you will want an "anti air" setup. so when ya get down to those last few gallons, your not sucking air, with the liquid. Koiphen.com goto pond construction forum. and look up "bottom drains" or just google "DIY bottom drains" granted these are for ponds. but the dome setup, can work nicely. in keeping air being sucked. both from just low level in tank, and the whirl pool / vortex current that can happen (draining sink and hearing the slurp slurp slurp)

consider how your "tees" that go out to the booms are setup. and removing air from those hoses / pipes. so all spray nozzles work correctly. without the very end nozzles not working. ((ya turn off sprayer, turn, turn on sprayer)) that alone can be enough to allow air back up into the boom and cause you problems.

consider height adjustment for spray nozzles. either letting them dangle down. or some sort of height adjustment in booms. to help control drifting of mist.

if ya working fence lines, consider some sort of "shear bolt" or spring setup, so when a boom does nail something, it bends backwards and away, vs ya spending next day repairing things.

What recommendations do you all have for roller pumps? I will spray round up for certain as an FYI. There are a lot of versions out there.

/ Building 3pt sprayer -need info on component parts #9  
What recommendations do you all have for roller pumps? I will spray round up for certain as an FYI. There are a lot of versions out there.

Silver Series Hypro.

Cut and paste from this site, Hypro Pumps

Hypro Roller pump features:
Housing is available in cast iron, Ni-Resist or Silver Series
Cast Iron is an economical favorite for general spraying applications
Ni-Resist is a high nickel content alloy for better corrosion resistance
Silver Series has a custom alloy that provides the best corrosion
resistance and is Ready for use with Roundupョ
Self-priming operation; roller pumps should NOT be run dry
Adaptable to PTOs or gas engines
Standard seals are Viton or Buna-N (leather optional)
Standard Super Rollers provide the chemical resistance of nylon
and the life of polypropylene

Here's a link to some more info. Hypro - Hypro 6500XL Roller Pump - Sprayer Depot

Silver Series Hypro.

Cut and paste from this site, Hypro Pumps

Hypro Roller pump features:
Housing is available in cast iron, Ni-Resist or Silver Series
Cast Iron is an economical favorite for general spraying applications
Ni-Resist is a high nickel content alloy for better corrosion resistance
Silver Series has a custom alloy that provides the best corrosion
resistance and is Ready for use with Roundupョ
Self-priming operation; roller pumps should NOT be run dry
Adaptable to PTOs or gas engines
Standard seals are Viton or Buna-N (leather optional)
Standard Super Rollers provide the chemical resistance of nylon
and the life of polypropylene

Here's a link to some more info. Hypro - Hypro 6500XL Roller Pump - Sprayer Depot

Thanks, the language is a little confusing regarding the seals. As written they
Make it appear as though you have to select your seal type.
Do you have to do that or is there just one version of the silver series?