How to fix this?

/ How to fix this? #1  

steveessie

Tractor
none
I am in the process of putting a ceiling up in my pole barn and I found one of the metal plate connectors on an end truss starting to crack (possibly pulling away) from the 2x6 bottom chord it is attached to. Based on some surface evidence this cracking is at least a year old, and maybe even older (I bought the place back in 2006 and it could have been cracked then, don't know, but I know it's at least a year old).

Please take a look at the pics and let me know your thoughts as to possible fixes. You can see the crack in the "overall pic" at the bottom of the "cross". Thank you.

IMG_1637.jpgIMG_1638.jpgIMG_1639.jpgIMG_1640.jpgIMG_1641.jpgIMG_1642.jpg

/ How to fix this? #2  
Other than replacement, I'd glue-n-screw a 8 foot by 8? inch piece of 3/4 ply to it.

/ How to fix this? #3  
Short of removing all roofing, siding and replacing the entire end truss I'd double up the wood with new boards lag bolted into the existing one then add additional diagonal bracing. From the looks of your pics it seems the wood used was defective and split.

/ How to fix this? #4  
I am in the process of putting a ceiling up in my pole barn and I found one of the metal plate connectors on an end truss starting to crack (possibly pulling away) from the 2x6 bottom chord it is attached to. Based on some surface evidence this cracking is at least a year old, and maybe even older (I bought the place back in 2006 and it could have been cracked then, don't know, but I know it's at least a year old).

Please take a look at the pics and let me know your thoughts as to possible fixes. You can see the crack in the "overall pic" at the bottom of the "cross". Thank you.

If I was doing it for myself...I would sister-board all the truss members and use plywood gussets w/construction adhesive and nails...

/ How to fix this? #5  
Make a bracket like below, cut out part where the marker is pointing to and bolt it through. It will be stronger than new. Use a jack with a section of something strong and long enough to push up on the problem board for installation.

I used a floor jack and box tube to push up an I beam section the same way not too long ago. After I had it pushed up I cut steel to the correct length for support, before I took out the wall.

For that matter a few more vertical posts installed the same way in your building would work too.

Attachments

• IMG_20130223_163105_674.jpg
    IMG_20130223_163105_674.jpg
    469.9 KB · Views: 360
  • IMAG1537.jpg
    IMAG1537.jpg
    783 KB · Views: 343
   / How to fix this? #6  
Waterproof glue injected into as much of the crack as possible, then clamped with pipe clamps or bar clamps, if space allows. If possible also shore up from the floor and use a bottle jack to raise it back into position before clamping. Then reinforce with a brace panel. Might be a good idea to check the other end as well, be easier to fish plate it before it separates if it looks questionable.

/ How to fix this? #7  
You could sister another 2x next to the truss and span from post to post, use lots of screws.

/ How to fix this?
You could sister another 2x next to the truss and span from post to post, use lots of screws.

Could you be a little more specifc as to which 2x you are referring to (the bottom chord that is split?).

/ How to fix this? #9  
Lucky for you it's an end truss, not a big deal.

It's nailed or screwed to the poles, so you don't need that part of the bottom cord to carry any weight. About the only load it's getting is from wind.

It doesn't even need to be a truss. Sometimes, they come up short, or have a broken truss and make an end truss by just nailing wood to the poles in basically the same configuration as the trusses.

I bet they broke it when the barn was built, and you just did not notice it until now.

I would cut some 3/4 ply wood to neatly cover it, put a bunch of drywall screws in it, and forget about it.

/ How to fix this? #10  
Other than replacement, I'd glue-n-screw a 8 foot by 8? inch piece of 3/4 ply to it.

I would use a 2X and gorilla glue (the expanding type) on both sides of the break. Cut the lumber of same width as existing and long enough to go past the splits on both ends at least 4". Squeeze glue on the 2 brace pieces on one side. Using c clamps to clamp both sides in place and then run several screw through both sides. So that when u are finished the original board will be sandwiched between the 2 new repair boards. If u have never used gorilla glue, don't run a thick bead or it will squeeze out and make a mess. I would either put c'broad or something under the repair to catch any drips.