Ideas on how to move a shed...

/ Ideas on how to move a shed... #1  

mowin

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3320
I need some ideas on moving a 10X14 mini shed. Its in great shape, and I got it for $500 bucks. Being a frugal guy, I dont want to pay a shed dealer to move this shed 500 yrds to my place. I live on a back road, so its not like i'd be pissin too many people off..lol. Thought of making some sort of axle for the rear of the shed, and using the FEL on the front to pull/steer it home....

Any ideas????

/ Ideas on how to move a shed... #2  
I moved one bigger than that with two handyman jacks, cribbing and a 16 foot trailer with rails.
Jack up one side, insert cribbing. Go to other side do the same. Go back and forth raising each side one block at a time. Keep going up until you can back trailer under building. Lower onto trailer. Move. Reverse procedure to get it off.

I think I have pics I will post if I can find them.

/ Ideas on how to move a shed...
I moved one bigger than that with two handyman jacks, cribbing and a 16 foot trailer with rails.
Jack up one side, insert cribbing. Go to other side do the same. Go back and forth raising each side one block at a time. Keep going up until you can back trailer under building. Lower onto trailer. Move. Reverse procedure to get it off.

I think I have pics I will post if I can find them.

I do have a 18' tilt bed, and thought of that, but it's only 500yrds down the road. If it was a mile or two ya trailering woud be the only way...

/ Ideas on how to move a shed... #4  
I do have a 18' tilt bed, and thought of that, but it's only 500yrds down the road. If it was a mile or two ya trailering woud be the only way...
Safest and easiest is to use the FEL and raise it up,crib under it and put the trailer under it. Any other way you are likely to destroy it in the move. With the FEL is shouldn't take long at all to lift and crib up.
The only other way I could think of would be to use two tractors and sling strap the building using the FEL to lift each end. One tractor backs up while the other drive forward, the same way one would use two cranes to move large objects. It takes a ground person to direct it and slow go + very coordinated drivers. This is assuming you have two tractors capable of lifting that high.
I would still vote for the trailer though, but if you had two tractors with FEL, just strap the main runners on each side lift with the FELs, back under the trailer, drop the load and head home to do the same thing in reverse to unload it. That is what I would do since I have two tractors with FEL and a brother in law to help me.

/ Ideas on how to move a shed... #5  
How about some skids ... old telephone poles, 6x6, 4" pipe ? Get them under it and drag her home.

/ Ideas on how to move a shed...
Safest and easiest is to use the FEL and raise it up,crib under it and put the trailer under it. Any other way you are likely to destroy it in the move. With the FEL is shouldn't take long at all to lift and crib up.
The only other way I could think of would be to use two tractors and sling strap the building using the FEL to lift each end. One tractor backs up while the other drive forward, the same way one would use two cranes to move large objects. It takes a ground person to direct it and slow go + very coordinated drivers. This is assuming you have two tractors capable of lifting that high.
I would still vote for the trailer though, but if you had two tractors with FEL, just strap the main runners on each side lift with the FELs, back under the trailer, drop the load and head home to do the same thing in reverse to unload it. That is what I would do since I have two tractors with FEL and a brother in law to help me.

My neighbor has a kioti, so lifting from each side to run the trailer under it would work....

How about some skids ... old telephone poles, 6x6, 4" pipe ? Get them under it and drag her home.
thought about lag bolting a 6x6 under it and draggin it, but I think it would bust the shed up...

/ Ideas on how to move a shed... #8  
I think either method should be fine. I have moved a number of sheds and 500 yd is so short. Lifting it onto the trailer would certainly be less hard on the structure, but if you cross braced it really good (think like building a sturdy floor under it) you could drag it with little or no damage to the shed. You may have to go smooth the road after though.

/ Ideas on how to move a shed... #9  
I recently moved an open front shed 14 x 20 by backing a trailer under it, deflating the tires and building a support system on the trailer, tight to the top plate on the walls. Then I re-inflated the tires (raised the building about 6") and drove it away.

/ Ideas on how to move a shed... #10  
I would find a trailer and lift it up and back the trailer under it. You said it was in good condition so I would ensure it remains that way. The whole dragging thing seems like a disaster in the making. Around here you can rent a trailer for $25/day.