Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    BCS

Default Re: Bale spear advise

Thanks Paul,

My main concern was getting the spikes in without pushing the bale around the barn three times. Hadn't though about getting them back out.

HCF

I built my own bale spear. I have a fairly light JD 48 loader and it work very well. I used a axle from a diesel semi, and welded it thru a 2.5 in angle that goes along the bottom of the bucket. The axle goes thru the angle and has another 1 ft angle welded opposite for strength. The back of the axle has a plate that rides under the bucket at the rear. The whole thing is held on with a length of chain and a load binder. I regularly lift 5x5 bales with this and have never had a problem. Only thing I would like to do is add some short spikes on either end of the angle to stop rotation. Rotation is not that bad if you stick the bale a bit above center, but sometimes you miss and it spins. The real thing I like is that it goes on and off in 2 min.

I will take some pics this morning and post them.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Quote Originally Posted by Paul N View Post
    I'm in the process of upgrading my loader to a SS quick attach system, so the spear will be on a separate plate, not the bucket. It's on a 7,000+ pound tractor, so I'm hoping it should handle a 1200# bale.
    Gary, how long is your spear?
    I haven't really measured it but I would say 3.5-4 feet in length for the main spear and 12"-16" on the two bottom stabilizer spears
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by hcf View Post
    Have been looking at ssqa bale spears and have seen a couple that have two long spears at the bottom. Looks like they could be used as a forklift also.

Lucas Hay Spears Double Spear | Lucas Bale Spear Double Spear

Would having two spears make it hard to pick up a 4x5 bale? Would the bale just slide around instead of the spears going into the bale? Is there a reason other than expense that you hardly ever see one with two spears?

Thank you for your time,

HCF
    I think what you are looking at with the double spears is so you can move 2 bales at a time (not something a CUT owner would use). Bought some hay a few days ago and the seller had a double spear loader on his 95HP tractor and brought 2 bales at a time. They were spaced so that each spear centered the bales and he stuck them just a bit to the topside to keep them from rolling. That one looked wider than the posted picture but that has to be the same thing as there is no reason to put 2 spears side by side like that. You want your spear to be somewhat centered and not off to one side as it is likely to tear up the bale. To stop rotation of the bale, just put a couple small spears at the bottom of the QA plate and they don't have to be high strength steel just cold rolled round bar stock is sufficient.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    BCS

Hi Gary,

Hadn't thought about using it for two bales, and as you pointed out, not a good idea for my tractor. What caught my eye was thinking I could stick one bale with both spears and also use it as a non-adjustable set of forklift tines for the same money.

Do you still have travel plans?

HCF

Tractor
    Kubota 9540, RTV 900 and David Brown 885.

Hadn't thought about using it for two bales, and as you pointed out, not a good idea for my tractor. What caught my eye was thinking I could stick one bale with both spears and also use it as a non-adjustable set of forklift tines for the same money.
    I bought a Blue Diamond spear with two long bottom tines. The only disadvantage I see is small diameter bales, as mentioned earlier, can tear out when the tines are too close to the outside. The way around that is to spear them low, like right at the ground, that way you are more or less cradling the bale instead of spearing it.

They do work good for pallet forks too. I'm sure they aren't as strong as the real deal but I don't need pallet forks often and can't justify the price.

Here I'm unloading some nice net wrapped hay.
    -image-2674162942-jpg

Here I'm hauling some year old hay, just showing off because some one said I couldn't.
    -image-1334654560-jpg

Tractor

Hi Gary,

Do you still have travel plans?

HCF
    I am waiting on KBR HR group to ask for more info. They sent me some forms to fill out, provided me with an estimated compensation package but have not asked for me to got take a physical or submit my passport for visa application. They proposed job offer was mobilize on April 10th so time is getting short. I expect to find an email Monday sometime assuming that all the client approvals are garnered.

Here are the pics for the bale spear I built, described in a reply a few posts back...

John

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    ASV 4810

I build this 4 prong fork for my 3 point hitch. That way i can pick up 2 round bales at once on the rear, i have a similar 2 prong fork on the front end loader.
    It enables me to move 3 or 4 bales at a crack when feeding.
    Having the tines at the bottom enables a guy to pick up a damaged bale or a tightly baled one from underneath.
    The tines or prongs are made from 2" x 5/16" wall sq tubing and 44" long with a fairly point that penetrates easy in most bales but tightly baled short grass bales,.but even a single sharp solid spike has trouble with those i found.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -belarus-925-loader030-jpg   -bale-forks-003-jpg  
    3 cockshutt 1855,1 cockshutt 1800.
    Belarus 800 and 925 .AC 940 whl ldr.Waldon 500 whl ldr.
    ASV 4810 tracksteer.
    4 GMC 2500 6.5/6.2 diesel trucks

Tractor
    05' JD 790 - 49' Ford 8n - 53' Ford NAA - 70' Massey Fergusen 135 diesel - 1950 John Deere MC - 1992 Thomas T-83 skid steer

I use my pallet forks as much as not. They tear the plastic on wrapped bales but if you are feeding them right out no problem. They break the twine if you are not careful but you will learn quick how not to do that. They are too far apart for small bales, and if I slide them in they spread themselves usually while I am on the road. And if the bales are too loose they are hard to get under if the flat part is too wide. After all the complaints they must work pretty well because I use them all the time, usually for just 1 or 2 bales, if I need to move more I use the bale spear.
    check us out at www.tessiersfarm.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12