Post Hole Digger stand

/ Post Hole Digger stand #1  

michael.white

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30
I've seen a few other PHD stands here and most fall into the category of either "hang it up" or "drill a hole in the ground". I threw together one that combines both. The auger fits into a 2 1/2" hole I cut through a couple of 4x6s. The hitch pins rest on a 4x4 with a couple of decking screws to keep them from sliding forward or backward. The wheels are 4" casters with external brakes and rubber tires that do a great job of holding the setup in place.

Most of the stand was constructed from lumber left behind by the house's previous owner. I spent about $85 on the casters (castercity.com) and probably another $15 or so in bolts.

To attach the PHD to the tractor I support the front of the PHD with a couple of 4x4s under the hitch pins. I'd like to integrate that into the stand; I'm thinking some sort of flip out legs, but haven't given it a lot of thought yet. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    684.4 KB · Views: 964
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    420.8 KB · Views: 576
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    503.4 KB · Views: 521
   / Post Hole Digger stand #2  
I don't trust the deck screws. Looks like you could drill a hole down through where the hitch pins go in the second picture. Then drop a bolt through those to hold it.

/ Post Hole Digger stand #3  
I like. I'd add a small piece of 2x4 on either side of the wood were the hitch pins rest so it couldn't slide off. Other than that - looks great!

/ Post Hole Digger stand
Thanks for the input. I've got a few lag screws hanging around - I could probably use those rather than the deck screws. Admittedly the deck screws were a last minute addition :rolleyes: I could then use the deck screws to hold down the 2x4 pieces on each end (owner left some of those too).

/ Post Hole Digger stand #5  
Looks good! :thumbsup:

Without hi-jacking this thread, I'm interested in the PHD. I noticed the long hydraulic hoses, are they hooked to your tower, or rear remotes? What size is the auger? You can PM me if you prefer. Thanks!

/ Post Hole Digger stand
Thanks! I'm too cheap to dish out the cash for a rear remote for just the PHD downforce, so the long hydraulic hose runs to the FEL remote. I know it eliminates simultaneous use, but that's the exception rather than the rule for me.

The shorter hose runs to the hydraulic reservoir. There's a hydraulic quick connect on the cap as well as the hose.

It's a 24" auger. I bought it for planting trees.

/ Post Hole Digger stand #7  
Thanks! I'm too cheap to dish out the cash for a rear remote for just the PHD downforce, so the long hydraulic hose runs to the FEL remote. I know it eliminates simultaneous use, but that's the exception rather than the rule for me.

That would be me too! Do you think the down force is really needed? I plan on putting put up a fence this year, so I'm trying to figure out if it's better for me (in the long run) to rent or buy. I just hate renting tools when I could own them - that is if the cost isn't too much.

The shorter hose runs to the hydraulic reservoir. There's a hydraulic quick connect on the cap as well as the hose.

That's what I thought!

It's a 24" auger. I bought it for planting trees.

That's a little larger than what I'll actually need.
Thanks for the reply! :)

/ Post Hole Digger stand #8  
Do you think the down force is really needed? ! :)

Depends on the ground. Before I bought my down force unit for my PHD, I had holes that would take days to dig. Ground was so hard that water would be in the hole for days. I am usually a weekender. When I need things done, it needs to be now, not tomorrow or days later. Bought the down pressure kit for my PHD, I have not had ANY hole take longer than 2 minutes to drill since that purchase. One of THE BEST investments that I have ever made. Makes no difference in hole dia either, and I have bits from 6"-24".

Attachments

• P4050013.JPG
    P4050013.JPG
    404.2 KB · Views: 428
  • PB040025.JPG
    PB040025.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 268
   / Post Hole Digger stand #9  
Your PHD is bigger/heavier than mine and you store yours in 1 piece, if that works for you, it is a nice set up.

My PHD came off of an older unit, gearbox is factory but as big as a rear end out of a 50's chevy, looks close, resembles it a lot, might have car components in it, who knows, it's heavy duty though. I took all my bolts out and replaced them with pins with lynch pins to secure them in their places. (I see yours has pins too). When I want to drop mine off of my tractor I remove the auger, stand it in the corner with the others, then I sit the shaft of the gearbox down in a rig I built to swing off/from the wall.

I took a piece of 4x4x1/4 angle iron and drilled it to fit onto a corner post in my tractor barn, basically running vertical, lag bolted it into the post from 2 directions, both sides. I then welded a spring clip bracket to the angle bolted to the wall. I then took a piece of 2"x2" tubing 2'long and welded the other size bracket to the tubing that mated to the first bracket, bolt inserted to form my hinge. On the other end of the 2' long piece of tubing I welded a piece of pipe that my shaft on my gearbox matched up to so I could sit my gearbox down in it. Just think of a 2' long arm swinging from a post with the correct size pipe to accept my gearbox shaft.

So when i want to drop my PHD I remove the auger, set the gearbox shaft in the hole by driving the tractor, lowering the hydraulics, remove all pressure on the connections. I then get off the tractor and pull the pin disconnecting my gearbox from the arm holding it up in the air, remove the driveshaft, and then swing my whole gearbox/pto shaft back around up against the wall, bracket made to lay the pto shaft into. I then pull the pin holding the yoke to the long arm and the other pin where to top link would normally go and hang that piece on the wall. I then remove the yoke, hang it on the wall. It takes about 5 minutes to install it on the tractor or remove it and is never a strain or struggle or any heavy lifting.

It stores easily, is out of the weather and not taking up any floor space. Some of you guys have the newer unit with the smaller gearbox. It is a lot lighter unit than mine and would be even easier to break it down into pieces and hang them on the wall than mine is.

/ Post Hole Digger stand #10  
Originally Posted by duroc

Do you think the down force is really needed?

Depends on the ground. Before I bought my down force unit for my PHD, I had holes that would take days to dig. Ground was so hard that water would be in the hole for days. I am usually a weekender. When I need things done, it needs to be now, not tomorrow or days later. Bought the down pressure kit for my PHD, I have not had ANY hole take longer than 2 minutes to drill since that purchase. One of THE BEST investments that I have ever made. Makes no difference in hole dia either, and I have bits from 6"-24".

Most of my ground is sand, but I do have a number of trees where the fence will be. I'm not sure if this is the way to go or if I should rent a PHD, or maybe even have the job contracted out. How well do these go through roots?