Some questions for TBN'rs in Texas, OK, etc

/ Some questions for TBN'rs in Texas, OK, etc
Re: Some questions for TBN\'rs in Texas, OK, etc

You're right about targeting guys and gals like the ones here.

I think the product will simplify their projects and hopefully cause them to think out of the box. By that I mean building something they want or feel they need and not accepting only what's out there as the solution.

I don't see this as a do it yourself kit at this point in time.

What I have in mind is the connectors and some ideas and then allow the end user to follow their own dream.

The whole thing is so simple.

I can see where someone who was learning to weld or wasn't totally comfortable fitting up and welding using these connectors and just having a ball. They can use the connectors to fit up and then they can weld instead of attach with screws.

The person who is used to using lumber for projects will now have the option of using steel along with their lumber. The same thought process would work here.

One of the problems with having a project done in steel is finishing out with conventional materials. This system simplifies the finish out like nothing else I've seen.

The patent process is already in progress. It would be nice if the concept is patentable. If someone else is a step ahead me I'll adjust accordingly.

In an earlier response I pointed out I wasn't interested in providing a ready to assemble kit. The same goes for prefabbed.

One of the greatest thrills I believe one can have in life is watching someone else share a dream. I can see where some of the folks here could take this thing to places I wouldn't never even consider.

They're like that.

I didn't go with the rectangle or square tubing idea on this. One of the reasons you mentioned in your other reply. There are a ton of connectors and adaptors out there for wood that would work with rectangular or square tubing. I've done that.

In fact the way I'm using the purlins is unlike the way anyone else uses it to my knowledge. I integrate it into the structure as a member for not only exterior finishing but interior too.

I have access to a factory with all kinds of equipment in Bonham. I've already moved up some of my stuff up there to complement what they have.

Hopefully in a couple of weeks we'll have some prototypes out and will be doing some projects. Before we get to the point of making tools and dies for the punch presses we'll be using some less sophisticated methods of production. But if this idea show promise then we'll move into production on that level.

Thanks for the offers to help.

I thought I'd update the subject for those interested.

We're in the process of making the prototypes. It's a little scarey, everyone seems to think it's a good idea. Enthusiasm can be a little hard on the nerves. One gets already to retort the critics and they aren't any. That's scarey.

Right now it looks like I'll be going after at least three patents.

And this is the guy that swore off patents after getting one, go figure.

We're also putting into production some do it yourselfer aids kind of stuff that I've thought up in the past.

One of the things that intimidate the do it yourselfer in doing a pipe fence is the saddling or coping if you will of the posts to accept the top rail. We're providing machine coped ends that are just an inch long. That way the person doing the pipe fence can cut the posts off an inch short of their desired height and then weld on one of our fittings. Then then have a fit for the top rail that even Ray Charles could weld up.

We also have a double coped piece to that one can weld in a rail fence without cutting it in between posts. I think it will be a hit and a half when the word gets out on it. Say if someone wanted a five rail pipe fence and hadn't started it because the thought of all that fitting up was intimidating. With this fixture it's nothing but a thing. Tack up the brackets to the posts and then lay up the rails. Hot glue gun fun time to be had for all.

One of the machinests at the factory is a quiet watcher type. I could tell he thought I talked too fast and said too much to be trusted far. Friday afternoon it was just the two of us working out some production could be problems on the new brackets we want to patent.

As we were cleaning up he stopped, shook his head, and then said, "you know this is like Tinker Toys where all they have to do is bring their own sticks and they can make just about anything."

One of the good things about having a slow talking deep thinking type on board is they are some of the best figurer outers alive.

The thicken is plotting.................

It doesn't seem like it's been two weeks since I updated this thread.

A couple of developments.

The parts for the system are in their final stages. We've got four. One that's the do--all. Then there's the one when the rafters hit the sill. And then we have the bracket that frames doorways, windows, joists to rafters, etc. Last but probably the most important for patent purposes is the clip that makes all these things work.

Probably within two weeks I'll be able to post some pictures of demonstration projects. It is amazing to me that these four pieces along with either a Portaband, sawsall, or chop saw, and a screw gun or cordless drill a person can build a shed or a building out of pipe and purlins and sheet iron. Actually one could frame it all up out of purlins and pipe and then use tongue and groove cedar one bys if they so desired or the convenants demanded.

What is even more involving this last week has been the development of a bracket that allows a fence company or do it yourselfer to install a pipe rail fence for about the same labor involved in a simple wood one.

This means the person that's considering a vinyl rail fence will now have to consider a pipe one that offers all the benefits of vinyl, no maintenance, simple installation, but made out of steel.

Yesterday while driving down the road I had a little inspiration for our ad for the pipe fence bracket. I would put up a section of powder coated white pipe fence five foot high, four rails in a bud's pasture with the treeline in the background. I would then place another bud's absolutely gorgeous longhorn behind it. The caption on the ad would read, "Yes Mam, that's a Longhorn." Below the picture would be "No Mam, the fence isn't plastic."

Then in the body of the ad would be the description of how the fence was made without welds and was guaranteed against rust for twenty years etc.

When I was young I lived for the adrenaline rush of taking a concept and making it happen. The sleepless nights and endless days with a new challenge every minute it seemed made me feel alive.

There have been many. But it always seemed either things weren't just right for the product or the total package couldn't come together for one reason or another.

Now I'm just tired.

You know it seems one could have an idea, make it viable, and then move on. Let others take care of the details while one uses that income to finance new projects. It doesn't seem to work like that in real life.

This next week while I'm making a living I'm going to be meeting with others to facilitate the patent process, make decisions on what will happen in house and what will be done by others, whether to sell the fence concept or try to manage it.

And the whole time in the back ground there is this dream. For many years now I've thought it would be so much fun to take a truck load of materials south and do a habitat for humanity kind of thing. I figure providing a good roof and a support system for walls would be a heckuva start for those down there much less fortunate than us up here. With the roof in place the walls and room layout could be done by the inhabitants with local materials and methods.

One of the hiccups in that dream has been how to do it on a scale that would make a difference. Using my skills and equipment would limit me to one unit at a time.

But with the connectors and process I'm now working with I could have many hands doing and the erection could be of multiple units. That is exciting.

/ Some questions for TBN'rs in Texas, OK, etc #17  

I'm glad to hear your plan is coming together. Wroughtn Harv's Fence and Building Goodies. Your picture on the pack, a few TV commercials and a show or two on H&G TV and you'll be ready for the big time! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Have you put up a web site for your stuff yet? If you had one listed in Yahoo and Google it might give you some interesting feedback. I don't know how it works but I think you can read cookies and figure out where else people that have hit your site have been. I'm sure there are people here that know way more about this stuff than I do that can tell you how it works.

/ Some questions for TBN'rs in Texas, OK, etc #18  

Harv:

Klene Pipe Structures in Indiania sells a ready to assemble structure made from 1-1/2" pipe. I happen to have a 4 stall barn that Klene made up for me to my drawings.

I'd be very careful about proprietary rights concerning what you are doing. I know that Klene has been in business for a number of years and probably has the rights on various variations of the same theme.

Their internet address is: www.klenepipe.com

Thanks for the link Daryl. The biggest difference between their product and mine is you. You decide the size and shape as you go. You don't pick a size they make and then assemble it the way they've designed it.

Let's say you want to have an eleven by thirteen shed with a twelve twelve roof because that's what's on your house. You buy my connectors and the purlins, pipe, steel siding from you local steel supplier. Then you build it to fit what you want the way you want and with the quality you want.

My contractor friends who've seen my connectors and the principles involved all shake their heads and talk about how I've taken the skilled labor out of building farm and ranch buildings.

I've thought about calling the product something along the line of an enabler. It enables the average guy who would like to do it himself to design and fabricate what he wants how he wants.

When you look at the cost of prefabricating a building to be assembled by others and then compare it to the cost of providing raw materials only, well, there is a savings or at least should be.

For me what is just as important is that a fella or gal can make the building they want. If they want the ridge of the roof to be off center line then they do it. And they do it just as easily as making it on center line.

Usually when you build a metal building or have one installed any finish out involves stick building a conventional wall on the inside. My system makes finish out a snap. The cost of all that framing lumber can be applied to things that are important, tractor, fishing, etc.

Oh, and my stuff isn't portable. Unless of course you want it to be. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif