Show What Tool You Made*

/ Show What Tool You Made* #151  
I too am glad you made your own. Great project and a real money saver. $2k+ for a socket is absurd :shocked: ...even by Snap On standards. A Proto 4 1/2" x 1" drive impact is $459 from ToolUp, and I think that is too much.

/ Show What Tool You Made* #152  
I made a hydralic pusher for inserting bearings into some equipment at work. Its 1 1/8" acne rod with 5/8" plates and use a 30ton hollow enerpac 12" stroke cylinder to push the bearings in. Works pretty slick. Ill try to get a picture next time were using it.

/ Show What Tool You Made* #154  
Good Afternoon Guys,
Here are a couple of tools that I made a few years ago to help me out in my woodshop.
The doweling jig is adjustable from any board 1/2" thick up to about 2 1/4" thick. 1/4" , 5/16", and 3/8" dowel sizes.

The indicator stand is mostly used to adjust my dado blade height, although I do also use it when I change the blades in my joiner.

Attachments

• 100_4644.jpg
    100_4644.jpg
    557.7 KB · Views: 476
  • 100_4645.jpg
    100_4645.jpg
    521.5 KB · Views: 388
  • 100_4646.jpg
    100_4646.jpg
    560.1 KB · Views: 479
   / Show What Tool You Made* #157  
Wow--that looks like it would work well and not be too hard to make. Any more details or photos of the build?
Indeed, Dave, after this photo as a teaser, you owe us action videos !!! (i allways wanted to build one too)

/ Show What Tool You Made* #158  
Thanks for the compliments.... The back story... I used to grow garlic and needed a mulch maker.... Todays straw choppers are $$$$$.... I found the "chaf chopping" drum on e-bay and it sat on the barn floor for 6 months while I drew up possible configurations... found a compatible PTO shaft in Surplus Center catalog... pillow block bearings on e-bay for about $8/each for the drum.... and started building ... The drum and all it's functional parts came from Iowa... I think the shipping was as much as the parts... I've got about $500 in it which I think is pretty good all things considered...

DSCF0610.jpg DSCF0609.jpg

I had to make the chopping blades that mounted to the framework... If I remember they are made from 2" X 3" rectangle tube... very similar to the original blades configuration... The drum etc. is from an IH combine, I think, about 1960's model.....
It works well.... thick slabs of hay will put a strain on it so feeding rate is slow.... it will chop up an 800# bale in about 20 minutes or less....
It needs a discharge chute to keep the hay from piling up under the chopper.... Just ain't got around to it yet...

I'm sure you noticed the lack of safety hardware... When it's running, I add hay from the "high" side... Probably not necessary to mention, it puts the fear in me while operating.... that machine has no forgiveness in it.....

I generally run it twice a year and store the chopped straw, alfalfa in apple bins for later use.....

As far as build details... find a combine "chaff chopper drum".... stare at it while having a few beers and something will come to you.... That is what I did.... more than one day spent trying to come up with a good plan...

Action photos... I wish I had some.... I just learned how to take movies with my camera... maybe this spring.... in the meantime, imagine 800#'s of hay shooting out the bottom at 540 RPM.... there ain't much to see, unless you had slow-motion....
I'm pretty proud it worked and does what I need... maybe more than I need... It definitely was worth the time and money....

Enlarging the drum photo shows the "cutting teeth" fabricated from the 2x3 tube... After using it, I have thought of changing out those teeth to "sickle bar" cutting plates .... and possibly mounting the same on the drum.... only problem mounting on the drum is screwing up the balance... the drum is perfectly balanced as far as I can tell.....

Dave

/ Show What Tool You Made* #159  
It needs a discharge chute to keep the hay from piling up under the chopper.... Just ain't got around to it yet...

Can you set a long sheet of smooth metal roofing below? Push the pile out with a rake?

/ Show What Tool You Made* #160  
I like that straw chopper. :)