Show What Tool You Made*

/ Show What Tool You Made* #341  
Dave, how do they reclaim the shot? Is there an easy method for collecting shells? There's a police range around the corner from me with casings lying everywhere

They have a machine that skims the top 4" of the ground and the dirt and shot convey to a "shaker / sizer" system.... The vegetation should be burned off completely with herbicides first...

Lead Recovery

/ Show What Tool You Made* #343  
I was familiar with the gadgets for picking up nuts, but had never heard of the lead machine. I bet a lot of other folks had not either.

I too like the BrassVac.

/ Show What Tool You Made* #344  
an old farmer used to run a shooting range on weekends at his sand and gravel pit ... ( 2 really big holes in the ground )

he had a loader and a big screen box ... at the end of the shooting day , he would scoop up the casings and dump in the box to sift them out ... then tackled the face of the sand wall of the pit ( behind the targets ) and recover the lead in a similar finer screened box ... come Monday morning, the pit was back to selling sand and gravel ... the shooting range was "free" to anyone or club that wanted to shoot ... only rule was no one near the target area until the horn blew ( and all guns put down ) ... ran it for years till he reached the end of the property and had to stop ...

then he retired ( with a lot of extra $$$ from the free brass and lead ) ... sold to a developer who built houses with a big retaining wall behind them ...

/ Show What Tool You Made* #345  
There is a somewhat new round called the 300 blackout, that is pretty much the same thing as the 221-300, 300 whisper and others that is all the rage with some folks. It uses cut down .223 brass as the parent case.

I had a few hours tonight and made a machine that will cut down 2880/hr, to be final trimmed after sizing.

/ Show What Tool You Made* #346  
Those machines are amazing.

Mega dittoes- man that's more than just a hobbyist rig, where do you use or sell all of those?

Do you just do one size or can you switch them around with different jigs and such?

I have worked in industrial settings where the automations weren't as smoothly constructed.

I am in awe!
Thomas

/ Show What Tool You Made* #349  
I didn't "make" this tool, but I adapted it to suit my needs.

I'm getting lazier as I get older. My knees and back won't let me work on the floor, and the same joints make lifting anything much over 50 pounds up onto the bench where I can work comfortably pretty difficult as well.

I do have a folding engine crane, but digging it out of it's hiding spot, setting it up, hoisting the project up onto the bench, taking the crane back down as it takes up so much space in my small shop, then repeating when I need to take the project back down is just more work than a lazy old far....uh..."fella" like me is willing to do most days.

So, I came up with a relatively inexpensive way to have a traveling electric hoist:

I like that. What a good way to get a relitively inexpensive trolley winch. Is that a 12 VDC or 120 VAC winch you are using ?

/ Show What Tool You Made* #350