Show What Tool You Made*

/ Show What Tool You Made* #451  
Yes it is a staple puller and made from some kind of file.. I would like to know how he bent the end or did the old file have a handle or hook on it. The bent end it very strong.

Hi LeeJohn,

It looks like it was forged that way.

I have seen knives made from files which looked similar after the heating and beating got finished.
Thomas

Hi CzechSonofaGun,

If I wasn't worried we'd get tracked by Big Brother and charged with trade infringement, I'd ask you to make me one [for a price to be named later]...

Nicely done,
Thomas

Hi Mendonsy, [Hi Neighbor]

That looks like it fits the bill perfectly.
Thomas

Hi Gordon,

That looks like a handy tool, I'll have to make one too eventually.
Thomas

/ Show What Tool You Made* #452  
Yes it is a staple puller and made from some kind of file.. I would like to know how he bent the end or did the old file have a handle or hook on it. The bent end it very strong.

That must have been an important tool to that man and have a significant story behind it considering the time it probably took to make it. Surely was a prized possession.

/ Show What Tool You Made* #453  

And here I thought it was a dinosaur toothpick!

/ Show What Tool You Made* #454  
I have converted a lot of my engines over to propane and use the 20 pound cylinder to run them on.So I needed to fill my own cylinders. I made this propane pump from a air cylinder and two check valves .The handle is a post from a chain link fence. The hose that is pushed into the end of the handle is the end that screws into the 20 pound tank, it was in there to keep it out of the snow. DSCF0612.JPGDSCF0613.JPGDSCF0614.JPG

/ Show What Tool You Made* #455  
I have converted a lot of my engines over to propane and use the 20 pound cylinder to run them on.So I needed to fill my own cylinders. I made this propane pump from a air cylinder and two check valves .The handle is a post from a chain link fence. The hose that is pushed into the end of the handle is the end that screws into the 20 pound tank, it was in there to keep it out of the snow.View attachment 486603View attachment 486604View attachment 486605

I refill my 20 lb tanks also but I just hook it up from the big tank to the small tank and let it fill. When you back off the air screw on the small tank it lets pressure off and the liquid propane fills it from the larger tank. If the small tank is cooler than the large one it fills faster but it don't have to be cooler.

/ Show What Tool You Made* #456  
I refill my 20 lb tanks also but I just hook it up from the big tank to the small tank and let it fill. When you back off the air screw on the small tank it lets pressure off and the liquid propane fills it from the larger tank. If the small tank is cooler than the large one it fills faster but it don't have to be cooler.

I use a bathroom scale and crack the bleeder to watch for liquid, the tank weighs 18 pounds empty,and it hold 20 pounds of propane, total of 38 pounds.If my small empty tank is cool from over night and I get out there early it will transfer up to about 30 pounds on the scales when the two tank pressures equal out about 2.85 gallon or less.If it is high noon it will only move up to 25 pounds about 1.6 gallon. When it quits moving on its own i pump.The newer tanks with the over fill protection valve on them stops the pump handle solid when its full. The stores with the racks only have 15 pounds of propane in them, the label on them says so, about 3.5 gallon. 1 gallon of propane weighs 4.2 pounds. A "full" 20 lb cylinder should have 4.7 gallons of propane in it. I get about 1 acre to the gallon mowing. But yes you are correct temperature is everything when filling them. Back when gasoline was $4 and propane was $1.25 it was a big deal, now it is Gas at $2 and propane at 77 cents it kinda hard to fool with, all of mine are dual fuel and I can run both ways but all of my carbs are wore out and my stuff runs so much better on propane I stay with it.

/ Show What Tool You Made* #457  
Hey Rocky J good idea on the pump. My dad (86) has a propane Massey TO35 and it runs clean and is fairly efficient. The tank on it is mounted and is not a quick take off like a fork lift but it fills easy and is easy to get to the fill valve.

The propane tractor has some good advantages like when in barn or building the fumes won't run you out and storing fuel is easy and you can place a tank anywhere with very few restrictions unlike gas or diesel. No electricity needed, no retaining wall, no spills and an easy to read gauge not to mention usually cheaper.

It's not quiet as efficient as gasoline as far as BTU output but the price overcomes that easily. I wish all my engines were converted with maybe an exception with a road vehicle, for distant traveling.

My brother has a New Holland skid steer with a 64 hp wisconsin propane engine. Perfect for barn stall or chicken house clean outs, his has the removable propane tank, I think it's around 30-35 lbs but not sure.

Well lets get back on subject here about homemade tools. I enjoyed this thread and glad it has come back to life.

/ Show What Tool You Made* #458  
I know I only get half a point for this one but to keep it alive I will share it. I had a broken 8mm head/cylinder bolt broken off in the block on a KLF 300 KAW. The person that started the job was going to drill it out but kept falling off the broken bolt until they had little holes drilled most of the way around it in the aluminum block. In his defense that bolt was hard as a drill bit. I felt I had nothing to loose and finished drilling holes around the broken off flush bolt. Hit it hard with a center punch and it came out but left a big hole. This is where the homemade tool was used to get my 3/8 pipe plug reducing bushing hole drilled straight up and spaced proper. DSC06860.jpg I took a 3/8 pipe plug with the allen wrench head on it and drill it to tap with a 8mm tap.DSC06859.jpg DSC06857.jpg DSC06864.jpg . I taped the block with a 3/8 pipe tap.I leveled it up with a 4 inch lapping wheel .

/ Show What Tool You Made* #459  
I know I only get half a point for this one but to keep it alive I will share it. I had a broken 8mm head/cylinder bolt broken off in the block on a KLF 300 KAW. The person that started the job was going to drill it out but kept falling off the broken bolt until they had little holes drilled most of the way around it in the aluminum block. In his defense that bolt was hard as a drill bit. I felt I had nothing to loose and finished drilling holes around the broken off flush bolt. Hit it hard with a center punch and it came out but left a big hole. This is where the homemade tool was used to get my 3/8 pipe plug reducing bushing hole drilled straight up and spaced proper. View attachment 486703 I took a 3/8 pipe plug with the allen wrench head on it and drill it to tap with a 8mm tap.View attachment 486704 View attachment 486705 View attachment 486706 . I taped the block with a 3/8 pipe tap.I leveled it up with a 4 inch lapping wheel .

Hi Rocky,

Even though I'll prolly forget it when I need it, that was a neat temporary tool and handy application of it.

Nicely done!

Thomas

/ Show What Tool You Made* #460  
After hand raking for years, I had too large of an area to hand rake and not enough daylight remaining. After harley raking and seeding we strapped a pallet to the back of the atv and threw a 250lb weight on the pallet. If I may say, I was pleasantly surprised by results. The goal was only to back rake the seed, but the pallet was actually able to correct the grade slightly by cutting the high spots and filling the low ones. If you look at the relation of the road to the grade line you'd realize that the grade gets steeper to the right. At a 25% slope, there was enough cross slope that the pallet was drifting down hill and starting to lift the back tire of the atv.

Attachments

• IMG_1761.JPG
    IMG_1761.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 421