Show What Tool You Made*

/ Show What Tool You Made* #502  
What goes on the end of the rod and what are you using these choker chains for?
hugs, Brandi

I have seen loggers using chokers before. I just couldn't figure out how the rod attached and to what. But it doesn't attach to anything. It's just a stick, basically.

What I can't figure out about all Y'all up there is why winch the logs out? Don't Y'all have grapples up there? Or do Y'all just like playing with winches?:confused3:
Why not log tongs?
hugs, Brandi

/ Show What Tool You Made* #503  
To get the log close enough to pick up w the grapple. We gots lots of trees.
Jim

/ Show What Tool You Made* #504  
I have seen loggers using chokers before. I just couldn't figure out how the rod attached and to what. But it doesn't attach to anything. It's just a stick, basically.

What I can't figure out about all Y'all up there is why winch the logs out? Don't Y'all have grapples up there? Or do Y'all just like playing with winches?:confused3:
Why not log tongs?
hugs, Brandi

Brandi, it ain't all like Texas. :) In many places, the terrain is so steep and so crowded with other trees, they must winch them up to a service trail or some sort of landing. Even here we have some terrain you can hardly stand, let along operate some kind of machine. There is no way you could cut a tree down, and drive a tractor over to it.

/ Show What Tool You Made* #505  
Brandi, it ain't all like Texas. :) In many places, the terrain is so steep and so crowded with other trees, they must winch them up to a service trail or some sort of landing. Even here we have some terrain you can hardly stand, let along operate some kind of machine. There is no way you could cut a tree down, and drive a tractor over to it.
Well, yeah. On steep slopes I understand that. But the photo in post #498 does not look steep and looks wide enough to use a grapple. Unless this is just a wide spot in a trail.

Guess I am just used to seeing Texas sized skidders. Skidder.jpg
hugs, Brandi

/ Show What Tool You Made* #506  
What I can't figure out about all Y'all up there is why winch the logs out?
hugs, Brandi

For reasons others have said, and also selective logging in general. If you want to take just 1 or 2 specific trees for timber, sometimes (terrain considerations aside) it's better to anchor in place, and pull with a long winch-cable.

The big skidders etc. are great for clear cuts, but not if you want to minimize impact. Less common now, but horses were still used not that long ago, for similar reasons. In mountain ranges out west, they use helicopters, but most of us would need a lottery win (I know I don't need to explain airframe maintenance costs to you :)) to go that route.

Rgds, D.

/ Show What Tool You Made* #507  
I made this valve spring compressor because I needed to adjust valves on my Kawasaki lawn mower engine. They were the kind of valves you need to remove and grind the ends off to set the clearances. I wanted to do the job and not wait for one mailorder or going to buy one somewhere. It's a little crude but worked.

Attachments

• WP_20170729_16_12_53_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170729_16_12_53_Pro.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 261
   / Show What Tool You Made* #508  
For reasons others have said, and also selective logging in general. If you want to take just 1 or 2 specific trees for timber, sometimes (terrain considerations aside) it's better to anchor in place, and pull with a long winch-cable.

The big skidders etc. are great for clear cuts, but not if you want to minimize impact. Less common now, but horses were still used not that long ago, for similar reasons. In mountain ranges out west, they use helicopters, but most of us would need a lottery win (I know I don't need to explain airframe maintenance costs to you :)) to go that route.

Rgds, D.

Recently saw horse logging teams working logs on TV. I really enjoy watching the heli logging shows where they leave the stem standing with just enough holding it up until the helicopter snaps the hinge off. Heli-logging - Wikipedia
Yeah, I used to rebuild wore out and wrecked helicopters. No need to straighten me out there.:)
hugs, Brandi

/ Show What Tool You Made* #509  
I made this valve spring compressor because I needed to adjust valves on my Kawasaki lawn mower engine. They were the kind of valves you need to remove and grind the ends off to set the clearances. I wanted to do the job and not wait for one mailorder or going to buy one somewhere. It's a little crude but worked.

Got it Done :thumbsup:

Didn't realize those K engines don't have tappets.

Rgds, D.

/ Show What Tool You Made* #510  

I bet that works real good.