Page 8 of 46 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    5 Gravelys, 1963 4010 & 1950 B John Deere, Great Dane ZTR

Default Re: Show What Tool You Made*

jwmorris, I was wondering about your rack to store paint spray cans on their sides. Is storing them upside down just as good to keep the thick paint from clogging the pickup tube and nozzle? I store mine upside down in a box so that if one explodes from our summer heat, it will be confined inside the box and not all over the shop, but I could store on the sides if it's better. Thanks.

Platinum Member

I imagine that would work as well.

I just got tired of always hunting for what I needed. Stored in the racks like they are you can instantly grab the one you want and slide it out.

I have never had a can of paint explode from the heat in my garage.

For the best results it generally takes a rifle and a small fire on a paper towel.
    Of course, once you know how to get a reaction out of them, clogged ones are a little more fun to get rid of.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1215, Toro 266-H, Pennsylvania Panzer, Case 444, Craftsman 14/6

Quote Originally Posted by jwmorris View Post
    ...Of course, once you know how to get a reaction out of them, clogged ones are a little more fun to get rid of.

Those are some pretty sweet pictures. Thanks for sharing.
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

Tractor
    M 9540 Kubota

How did you capture those pics? I wouldn't think that the flame lasted much more than a second, nice.
    ]We need more people to WORK for a living and less people to VOTE for a living!
    (proven on 11/6/12)

Looks like we have a TBN Mythbuster here.

Platinum Member

How did you capture those pics? I wouldn't think that the flame lasted much more than a second, nice.
    The pictures are actually quite old, taken with a 35mm SLR. Thats why they are kind of dark, scanned slides. My memory is not that good but something like a 200 mm for two of the photos and a x1.2 or 2 adapter for the up close shot.

You are not going to capture a shot like that with a cell phone camera, that takes two seconds to snap the shot after you press the button but a digital SLR would be better than what I used back then.

Now that I have a nice DSLR it would be fun to try again. The only problem is that my Grandfather retired from Desoto paint in 1978 and they were the ones that paid him to "dispose" of all of the Loganberry paint when they discontinued it. I did recently come across another 6 pack of the rattle cans though.

Platinum Member

Here is another one with the paint can comming toward the camera.

This is the reason for the 200mm lense, you just want it to look like your close.

Tractor
    5 Gravelys, 1963 4010 & 1950 B John Deere, Great Dane ZTR

This thread seems to have died, but maybe this can revive it. The first photos are a knife I made from a SS blade I bought on eBay and the handles are Bois D'Arc from my backyard that had cured for 5 years.

The last photo is a stainless steel dishwasher rack I made. Our old Maytag is still going strong, but the racks are turning to rust. New racks cost $360 + s/h, so I decided to build new ones. I have finished one and have one more to go. I made it out of 1/8" x 36" SS TIG sticks and 1/4" for the wheel's axles. It came out really nice, but took a LOT of work. Since I am 77, I could only put in about 4 hours per day, so buying new ones would have been a bargain.

Show What Tool You Made*-knife1-1-jpg Show What Tool You Made*-knife1-1-jpg Show What Tool You Made*-knife2-jpg Show What Tool You Made*-ss-dishwasher-rack-jpg

Veteran Member

That rack looks great!
    Dan H.

Tractor
    Fiat

Yep - worth keeping this thread alive - some good ideas here - had some hydraulic spiral wrap on my eBay watch list, I think I would rather make my own!

I had a clutch fork shaft from my little dozer resto that needed replaced for wear or built up with bronze and machined back to size - in hindsight it would have been easier to weld the old arm on a new bit of shaft but the easy way is not always the way I roll. Once brazed I then realised it wouldn't fit in my little toy lathe/mill so I had to make something to machine the shaft back to round - pics should suffice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show What Tool You Made*-image-jpg   Show What Tool You Made*-image-jpg  
    Jimbob

Page 8 of 46 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast