Show What Tool You Made*

/ Show What Tool You Made*
jwmorris, I was wondering about your rack to store paint spray cans on their sides. Is storing them upside down just as good to keep the thick paint from clogging the pickup tube and nozzle? I store mine upside down in a box so that if one explodes from our summer heat, it will be confined inside the box and not all over the shop, but I could store on the sides if it's better. Thanks.

/ Show What Tool You Made* #72  
I imagine that would work as well.

I just got tired of always hunting for what I needed. Stored in the racks like they are you can instantly grab the one you want and slide it out.

I have never had a can of paint explode from the heat in my garage.

For the best results it generally takes a rifle and a small fire on a paper towel.
Of course, once you know how to get a reaction out of them, clogged ones are a little more fun to get rid of.

aaImage11.jpg

aaImage9.jpg

aaImage12.jpg

/ Show What Tool You Made* #73  
...Of course, once you know how to get a reaction out of them, clogged ones are a little more fun to get rid of.

aaImage12.jpg

Those are some pretty sweet pictures. Thanks for sharing.

/ Show What Tool You Made* #74  
How did you capture those pics? I wouldn't think that the flame lasted much more than a second, nice.

/ Show What Tool You Made* #76  
How did you capture those pics? I wouldn't think that the flame lasted much more than a second, nice.

The pictures are actually quite old, taken with a 35mm SLR. Thats why they are kind of dark, scanned slides. My memory is not that good but something like a 200 mm for two of the photos and a x1.2 or 2 adapter for the up close shot.

You are not going to capture a shot like that with a cell phone camera, that takes two seconds to snap the shot after you press the button but a digital SLR would be better than what I used back then.

Now that I have a nice DSLR it would be fun to try again. The only problem is that my Grandfather retired from Desoto paint in 1978 and they were the ones that paid him to "dispose" of all of the Loganberry paint when they discontinued it. I did recently come across another 6 pack of the rattle cans though.

/ Show What Tool You Made* #77  
Here is another one with the paint can comming toward the camera.

This is the reason for the 200mm lense, you just want it to look like your close.

aaImage10.jpg

/ Show What Tool You Made*
This thread seems to have died, but maybe this can revive it. The first photos are a knife I made from a SS blade I bought on eBay and the handles are Bois D'Arc from my backyard that had cured for 5 years.

The last photo is a stainless steel dishwasher rack I made. Our old Maytag is still going strong, but the racks are turning to rust. New racks cost $360 + s/h, so I decided to build new ones. I have finished one and have one more to go. I made it out of 1/8" x 36" SS TIG sticks and 1/4" for the wheel's axles. It came out really nice, but took a LOT of work. Since I am 77, I could only put in about 4 hours per day, so buying new ones would have been a bargain.

Knife1.1.jpg Knife1.1.jpg Knife2.jpg SS Dishwasher Rack.jpg

/ Show What Tool You Made* #80  
Yep - worth keeping this thread alive - some good ideas here - had some hydraulic spiral wrap on my eBay watch list, I think I would rather make my own!

I had a clutch fork shaft from my little dozer resto that needed replaced for wear or built up with bronze and machined back to size - in hindsight it would have been easier to weld the old arm on a new bit of shaft but the easy way is not always the way I roll. Once brazed I then realised it wouldn't fit in my little toy lathe/mill so I had to make something to machine the shaft back to round - pics should suffice

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 1,446
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 1,377