boom pole

/ boom pole #1  

jmwilson

Bronze Member
Can someone give me some measurements for a boom pole for a JD 5083E. That would be the width at 2 pin hookup and the riser height where the third pin goes. I may make up one out of 2x4 wood just to get an idea. I plan on building this out of 3" schedule 80 pipe with the 2 side braces made from oil field drill stem pipe.

I would appreciate any help.

Mike

/ boom pole #2  
You can get those dimensions from one of your attachments.

/ boom pole
So far, I do not have any attachments chim. I am going to get a Bush Hog 327 or 297. I am not going to get this until this summer. Since I live in a small town, there is not one to measure.

Mike

/ boom pole #4  
Google three point hitch specifications.

Your boom is going to be a beast compared to the mass marketed ones. Hope you post a picture.

/ boom pole #5  
3 point.JPG

Not sure this is what you want or if I even got it attached.

/ boom pole #6  
So far, I do not have any attachments chim. I am going to get a Bush Hog 327 or 297. I am not going to get this until this summer. Since I live in a small town, there is not one to measure.

Mike

Mike, please accept my apology. I was in a rush to get off to work and thought maybe you were overlooking the obvious (as I do myself sometimes). I looked up your tractor and it listed the hitch as "2/1". My tractor has a Cat 1 hitch, and I'm not familiar with a combo hitch. I measured mine tonight and can tell you that on my tractor the lower arms need spread roughly 27" to the inside. I have different attachments and they do vary slightly. The toplink connection on mine is about 17-1/2" above the lower pins. These measurements were taken on the 6 foot rear scraper blade (that unfortunately seen no snow this year). Hope that helps.

/ boom pole #7  
with jbooths diagram chart and chim's height measurement, you should have what info you need. If not, one of us will start measuring for you.

Why are you building it so heavy? Remember, you have to drag n tug n lift this suff around to get it on the tractor. The standard boom poles are made out of lighter weight material and will handle what the average tractor can lift.

/ boom pole #8  
jmwilson,

Look at "redlandhill.com" they may be making your 3 pt hitch already.

/ boom pole
When I went to the dealer to pick up my tractor, I asked the dealer does it come with a drawbar, and he said yes. It should be on the tractor, No, I said. We went to look and he pointed to the square bar that comes out just below the PTO shaft. I told him that I meant the flat draw bar with the holes in it that goes onto the lower lift arms. He said you mean the [something]. I forget the name, but I said yes. I bought one, and it was a little over $70.
Anyway, I just measured the drawbar [?]. I guess I need to know the names of these tractor parts in order to communicate with you guys.
This bar measures 31 3/4 from pin to pin hole and 26 where the inside of the lift arms go.

Jmc, this measurement of 26 inches wide confirms what I have found on the width for a category 2.

Yes, that is it jbooth. This diagram shows a 32 cat 2 spread. Thanks!

There is no need to apologize chim. I am about as green as a person can get. Things that are simple to you guys are an Albert Einstein ordeal to me. That is why I am here.

Why is a good question 6011Artist. The JD tractor... all I will ever need is a good 50 HP, but you know how some people are. On my Ford 6610 boom pole, it was built out of schedule 40 drill stem pipe, and we broke and had to re-weld it three times. At 8 foot in length, it would lift a 55 gallon barrel with 45 to 50 gallon of diesel in it out of the back of a pickup. As far as the arg and strain of moving it around, I am going to build a stand for it.

Mike

Thanks wolftree. No one makes what I want. That is except for the guy on this form that builds the hydraulic cylinders.

Do you old timers sometimes can't sleep, get up, and make a pot of coffee at 2 o'clock in the morning?

Mike

/ boom pole #10  
ahhh, cat 2, now I understand. All my stuff is Cat 1. I have 2 different styles of factory boom poles that I seldom use. I bought them 15 yrs ago. The price of just a standard Cat 1 has more than doubled over the years. Building does save money.

I have 2 that I work out of my reciever style hitch, simple slide in style. I use them more than I do the factory ones.