Another DIY Grapple

/ Another DIY Grapple
sittinstill, an added benefit of constructing the grapple "clamp" the way I did is that the tube at the hinge point works as a torque tube. If you clamp something of irregular shape the tube will resist the twisting force much better than two separate hinge points.

BTW, there is also another torque tube at the top of the front plate. Welds are placed on the arms to take advantage of the tubes resistance to twist.

Last edited:
   / Another DIY Grapple #22  
Great point. I am definitely going to use this setup.
Great idea, you dont know howw much time and labor you saved me by posting that.
thanks

/ Another DIY Grapple
Made some more progress yesterday

Added some reinforcement to the clamp portion of the grapple and some expanded metal to the back to protect the radiator. Here are a couple of pictures with it mounted to the tractor.

On another note; I tried to order a quart of Kubota Orange paint from my local dealer on Friday and they informed me they could not order the paint for me as they have lost their franchise :( . Tried the next closest dealer and they said I had to order a case to get it :( . Looks like I will be getting my paint on line.

SNB16458.jpg

SNB16457.jpg

SNB16455-001.jpg

/ Another DIY Grapple #24  
Re: Made some more progress yesterday

I get Kubota paint equivalent thru my local Orscheln store. It's Van Sickle brand paint. Very good quality. Check out whatever Tractor Supply type store you have locally and see what they stock.

/ Another DIY Grapple #25  
Very nice build, If you have a local auto parts store, that sells automotive paint, most have a scanner to match paint color. Take an orange part with you, and have it scanned. You can also get touch up botles and spray cans, for touch up repairs, cheaper to do this all at the same time.

Dave

/ Another DIY Grapple #26  
I used the Van Sickle (quarts) with the Valspar hardener on my snow plow build. It is better than the same stuff in the rattle cans, but I still felt it was thin and didn't cover all that well. It did seem to dry hard enough to hold up with the hardener added. Touch ups with a spray can were notably softer. I get it at Fleet Farm (all over the place around here). They mostly have Valspar paint, but the Kubota Orange is the only Van Sickle in the section for some reason...

/ Another DIY Grapple
We have a local place that does a lot of powder coating, I called Friday for a quote but they did not respond. I know it's over kill to powder coat but if the price is right it will save me some hours of prep and paint that I can devote to something else - like the porch on the house that I started 2 months ago :) Our local Tractor Supply only has the Majic pint line now, Valspar is what they used to carry but not any longer. They only have Kubota Orange in gallons too, I would never use that much in a life time.

/ Another DIY Grapple #28  
We have a local place that does a lot of powder coating, I called Friday for a quote but they did not respond.

When I bought my tractors I told the dealer I wanted a quart of paint. He had to order a case, 4 quarts. I ended up buying 2 quarts when it came in.

Sounds like my luck I called and emailed 2 places pictures of the grapple, I still have not heard anything:laughing:

Maybe powder coaters are scared of grapples:confused3::laughing:

/ Another DIY Grapple #29  
Clean looking build !!! Your bottom part is very similar to the grapple I'm building. Your top is much more elegant than mine.

I'm wondering about removing the mill scale before painting or just leaving it. Would be a lot of work to get it off completely. What are you gonna do?

/ Another DIY Grapple #30  
Re: Made some more progress yesterday

Just a concern,
The attaching point of the cylinder nearest the tractor needs more reinforcement/stiffening of the tubing to prevent twisting there. I did a similar build using a 1/2 X 4 angle iron in place of the tubing. First time I grabbed a full load it bent. Use it gently first to determine its capabilities then add any reinforcements.
Dennis
Added some reinforcement to the clamp portion of the grapple and some expanded metal to the back to protect the radiator. Here are a couple of pictures with it mounted to the tractor.

On another note; I tried to order a quart of Kubota Orange paint from my local dealer on Friday and they informed me they could not order the paint for me as they have lost their franchise :( . Tried the next closest dealer and they said I had to order a case to get it :( . Looks like I will be getting my paint on line.

SNB16458.jpg

SNB16457.jpg

SNB16455-001.jpg