Another DIY Grapple

/ Another DIY Grapple #31  
Re: Made some more progress yesterday

Yeah, there are stresses that I wasn't capable of predicting when I built mine. After a day of hard use, they'll all show up. I added reinforcements a couple times on mine until I got it stable and my claw is a lot more trussed and braced than this one. Not slamming or taking digs at all. Just passing on experience.

/ Another DIY Grapple

Just a concern,
The attaching point of the cylinder nearest the tractor needs more reinforcement/stiffening of the tubing to prevent twisting there. I did a similar build using a 1/2 X 4 angle iron in place of the tubing. First time I grabbed a full load it bent. Use it gently first to determine its capabilities then add any reinforcements.
Dennis

I will take that under consideration when first using it, thank you. I may add some reinforcement now just to reduce the chances of twisting.

/ Another DIY Grapple

Wow, it looks like I copied your design more than I realized - nice job BTW. I contacted a local automotive paint supplier today and he assured me he can match the Kubota Orange. We are a bit of rural area and I'll bet this is not his first request to match that color. :)

/ Another DIY Grapple #35  
I bet you might be able to buy kubota Orange off the shelf at tractor supply. I can check gallatin tomorrow, there's a ratchet wrench they have I've been wanting to get anyways :)

/ Another DIY Grapple #36  
Nice build by the way... Who did you buy materials from? I can make your hoses. The shop I work at is in gallatin, some of the guys at work live in Lebanon.

/ Another DIY Grapple
I bet you might be able to buy kubota Orange off the shelf at tractor supply. I can check gallatin tomorrow, there's a ratchet wrench they have I've been wanting to get anyways :)

Yes, Tractor Supply does have it, but only in Gallons in Lebanon. I got a quart from the local automotive paint supplier yesterday. We'll see how close it matches this weekend. I might be interested in talking to you about the hoses.

/ Another DIY Grapple
Nice build by the way... Who did you buy materials from? I can make your hoses. The shop I work at is in gallatin, some of the guys at work live in Lebanon.

I got most of the steel at Besco Steel in Nashville, I had the water jet cutting done in Franklin, Ky - right up the road from Gallatin.

/ Another DIY Grapple
Quick update - I dropped off the grapple this morning for sand blasting - $65 seems cheap compared to the time it would take me to clean/sand/prep for paint. The guys doing the sand blasting also do powder coating; he quoted $200-$250 to do that. Interestingly he recommended against powder coat, said it would be easier to touch up down the line with paint, harder to do with powder coating.

I'm not to worried either way, I expect it will get torn up pretty good with the duty I expect it to see. I'm hoping that we get decent weather this weekend so I can paint it. Got all my hydraulic fittings, made a mount for the diverter valve and quick disconnects. I will get the hoses after painting is complete and all parts assembled.

I added more gusseting to the cylinder mount on the frame per recommendations here - we'll hope it all holds together.

/ Another DIY Grapple #40  
The guys doing the sand blasting also do powder coating; he quoted $200-$250 to do that. Interestingly he recommended against powder coat, said it would be easier to touch up down the line with paint, harder to do with powder coating.

Wow, that's surprising and encouraging. Most shops want to sell you the Powder Coating as being superior and the way to go. You have a good shop to suggest paint rather than powder coating. He's telling it like it is. :thumbsup: