skid loader wood splitter-wedge on the cylinder or push plate on the cylinder?

/ skid loader wood splitter-wedge on the cylinder or push plate on the cylinder? #1  

psu927

Modiflying our old homemade 3 point to make it into a inverted skid loader mount. Currently the wedge is on the cylinder and I was wondering what the advantages are to each setup. I want to have a pretty large 4 way wedge on it. I split my pieces pretty big for the outdoor woodstove just looking for ideas. Also has anyone built there own wedge or did everyone buy there own?

/ skid loader wood splitter-wedge on the cylinder or push plate on the cylinder? #2  
If you put the plate on the cylinder it will be constantly pushing the split pieces clear, especially if you have an 'ejection" table for them to slide on thru... With the wedge on the cylinder they fall at your feet.

/ skid loader wood splitter-wedge on the cylinder or push plate on the cylinder? #3  
My first one pushed the log over the wedge. Advantage was I could split some gnarly stuff, as the log could shift a little to follow the grain. The last 2 splitters I built push the wedge through the log. Advantage: don't have to chase the log to give it another split. I did have to up the power, using a 5" cylinder instead of 4" since the wedge has to go straight through the log no matter what the grain is doing. I also like being able to grab the split log and toss it directly into the pickup, most of the time I don't unhook. Trying to 4 way split pushing the wedge would take a bunch of power, unless you're splitting something pretty soft and straight.

/ skid loader wood splitter-wedge on the cylinder or push plate on the cylinder?
Keep in mind this is an inverted splitter where i am operating from the cab of the skidloaded

/ skid loader wood splitter-wedge on the cylinder or push plate on the cylinder? #5  
It probably doesn't matter much in your situation, except visibility is a little better with the wedge being pushed.

/ skid loader wood splitter-wedge on the cylinder or push plate on the cylinder? #6  
I have a 3 point splitter that works either horizontal or vertical, so the wedge is on the ram. Main reason I prefer that is if you stall it out on a knarly block, retract the cylinder and the stuck piece pops right off the wedge, instead of having to pry it off... Dan.

/ skid loader wood splitter-wedge on the cylinder or push plate on the cylinder? #7  
bobcat splitter on 743b was made from 3pt. pushing wood thru the wedge. can slip the four way over the current one held in place with two 1/2 inch bolts thru the original wedge. works good on 16-24 inch rounds of white oak. nice clean wood.

/ skid loader wood splitter-wedge on the cylinder or push plate on the cylinder? #8  
I would put the push plate on the cylinder. Then make an adjustable and removable 4 way for the wedge. Depending on the size of your rounds to be split you can choose what will work best. I put a 10'' wedge on my splitter. For larger rounds you might want a 12'' or even 18'' wedge.

/ skid loader wood splitter-wedge on the cylinder or push plate on the cylinder? #9  
I would think that the wedge on the cylinder makes more sense. The log will be on the ground while splitting, so if you do a push plate on the cylinder, it will constantly be moving the log along the ground and will probably pretty quickly make some nice divets in the ground.

/ skid loader wood splitter-wedge on the cylinder or push plate on the cylinder? #10  
You do not have to worry about the ground. It is going to be worn out. I bring back dump truck loads of pieces already cut to length. By the time you chase down even 20 pieces the area can be pretty messy. I grab them with the splitter and then move over and split them over a pile. Or over and into another dump truck.