DIY PTO Generator

/ DIY PTO Generator #11  
lotsa sources for heads.

northern tools.. harbor freight.. etc. ebay has a ton of them.

I've seenthe gearboxes at surplus shop...

/ DIY PTO Generator #12  
I bent the H.wall SS pipe and 1/4" plate myself. It came from "electric generators direct.com. "
And thanks. I really enjoyed building it and TIG welding the pipe. The frame is actually in 4 pieces.

/ DIY PTO Generator #13  
nice.. :)

/ DIY PTO Generator #14  
Too bad your not closer I have a 10 kw head with control box and pulleys I would give away,, Too many other projects going an I'll never get to this one,,

/ DIY PTO Generator #15  
This is a DIY project that is still in progress.
The mid pto is 2000 rpm and it seems to have plenty of throttle left for full load.

BC164C - YouTube

/ DIY PTO Generator #16  
This is the belt driven PTO generator I put together. It is a 7kw military Onan. Yes it has open rotating pulleys as did much of the farm equipment I grew up around. It is being powered by a B7100 and ran 16 hours a day for 7 days. No belt slippage for the output we needed but we only ran it for heat, a few lights and misc electronics. The voltage was watched closely and once the rpm was set for 125 volts it was very steady. The parts minus the generator were about $200. Wide open throttle will run it at 540. With the PTO in high range the engine is running about 1/2 throttle.

1104111448.jpg

/ DIY PTO Generator #17  
Why but a PTO driven generator when an engine driven portable on is no more expensive ? Thinking 7 or 8 KW range.

/ DIY PTO Generator #18  
Try searching Craigs List OFTEN.

I picked up a barely used 12KW Winco for $600 and about a week later saw a 20KW for about $900.

/ DIY PTO Generator #19  
This is the belt driven PTO generator I put together. It is a 7kw military Onan. Yes it has open rotating pulleys as did much of the farm equipment I grew up around. It is being powered by a B7100 and ran 16 hours a day for 7 days. No belt slippage for the output we needed but we only ran it for heat, a few lights and misc electronics. The voltage was watched closely and once the rpm was set for 125 volts it was very steady. The parts minus the generator were about $200. Wide open throttle will run it at 540. With the PTO in high range the engine is running about 1/2 throttle.

View attachment 309712

There are some people that try to impress other folk with how smart, capable, fit and great warriors they are. By having all manner of hazards about them and be alive to tell the tale.
I see a lazy cheapskate that is in denial.
Set the speed to Frequency, not voltage. It's an AC machine, not DC.

/ DIY PTO Generator #20  
Say what you will but it works like a charm and does exactly what I need. You can throw money around to have all the shinny new stuff you want. When we were with out power for a week. There was no gasoline to be bought only siphoned out of the vehicles. Oh no that's not safe either. I have plenty of home heating oil, and a small tractor that did what I needed. No extra engine to maintain. Why would you really need 14k in an emergency which is what this was built for? Denial hahaha what a trip.