Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Tractor
    Deere, several

Default Re: DIY PTO Generator

Open belts and pulleys at ground level in an area where service work and inspections are performed . They have in the past and will in the future maim and kill operators and bystanders who were perfectly safe and careful.
    Ask anybody involved with a pto shaft incident.

Tractor
    Deere, several

Standby generator at a fuel dispensing station? Any idea what a generator and proper transfer switch costs for an explosion proof installation according to code.
    Will you faithfully line up to for years to pay the extra 2-3 cents a gallon to pay for the generator in order to have fuel during a blackout every 5-20 years?

You'd be surprised what a good heavy flywheel on your generator input will do to help out lower hp tractors. Helps smooth out the load when high inrush current devices like compressors, etc.. first start up. Just takes a while longer to coast to a stop when you shut off the pto.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1026R

Quote Originally Posted by buickanddeere View Post
    Standby generator at a fuel dispensing station? Any idea what a generator and proper transfer switch costs for an explosion proof installation according to code.
    Will you faithfully line up to for years to pay the extra 2-3 cents a gallon to pay for the generator in order to have fuel during a blackout every 5-20 years?
    How much does it cost?

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 2810, IH Hydro 70, 706

Quote Originally Posted by stuckmotor View Post
    Where did you source the gearbox and head?
    +1 where did the gear box come from? I have search all over and cant find them. Would love to make some pto powered projects like generator and/or air compressor.

I bought mine out of Penn (drove to dealer in Louisiana to get it) and it is a 1st class unit (course I paid first class dollars during power outage) on a trailer with large wheels; the best thing is my generator only turns about 1800rpm; my neighbor bought a 3pt hitch unit (much cheaper than mine) and it ran at 3600rpm which results in a loud high pitch 'scream'. I would definitely recommend the 1800rpm generator.

Tractor
    Kubota BX 24 HST

I thought about doing this but when I priced everything out (10Kw Gen Head and 540>1800 rpm PTO gear box and frame with 3 pt hitch and base) it was cheaper to buy regular generator and safer to operate also. Not burning up hours on my tractor was a point. Not tying up my tractor for power generation was another reason. Pros and cons will vary of course because it is all in what you NEED or WANT. If you can get parts at an auction, flea market or ebay cheap, handy enough to do the fabrication work yourself and only need power for short periods on occasion then I would opt for this configuration. Otherwise I could not rationalize the expense, wear and tear on tractor versus stand alone unit with a wheel kit that I could move easily to a work site. Just my HO.

Tractor
    Kubota L3830, John Deere 2355 MFWD, John Deere 4430, Case 1030, John Deere B, John Deere 730D

Not sure about the quality or anything, but 15kw surge - 12kw normal seems very reasonable:
    http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....tor/p5390.html

and the three point hitch kit is available, but would be easy to build at home:
    http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....m=paid+portals

Tractor
    jd 1070

Quote Originally Posted by David Devuono View Post
    My point is, if you have a 50 HP tractor running a 10K generator, operating at 1800 RPM, it is not going to bog down the tractor. If you have a 15 K generator on a 20 HP tractor, you are going to want to design it to run at max speed.
    I can run a 50kw Winpower alternator with a 22 hp 3 cyl diesel lawnmower by running the mower's pto shaft to an add-on speed reducer. Does not bog down, runs at 2/3rds throttle, all conveniences of the home in use. No noise, no trouble, no problems.
    There is no "I" in team, but there is a "Me" if you want to jumble it up a bit...

Tractor
    kubotab8200hst

get yourself a 5 speed manual car gearbox from the wrecker and pick a gear that suits

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast