DIY PTO Generator

/ DIY PTO Generator #51  
I can run a 50kw Winpower alternator with a 22 hp 3 cyl diesel lawnmower by running the mower's pto shaft to an add-on speed reducer. Does not bog down, runs at 2/3rds throttle, all conveniences of the home in use. No noise, no trouble, no problems.

but at 22hp.. you probbaly won't see much real load availability than anout 11kw.

speaking of cheap KW.. just saw northern flyer. man.. you can get 5w/10kwsurge inverters for realitively cheap.

for the guy that needs 5k and a bit mroe for starting.. like a well.. that inverter and a big bat like a 4dlt... would be an idea. no engine to maintain either.. :)

/ DIY PTO Generator #52  
Standby generator at a fuel dispensing station? Any idea what a generator and proper transfer switch costs for an explosion proof installation according to code.
Will you faithfully line up to for years to pay the extra 2-3 cents a gallon to pay for the generator in order to have fuel during a blackout every 5-20 years?

You're right on target. The only way it happens is when certain stations get tagged by regional government to be "support stations" for first-responder equipment. This happened in the Houston area after Ike took down power for anywhere from a few days to several weeks. I had planned ahead and had a 55 gallon drum of fuel on hand for the diesel gen, and another couple of 30 gallons drums to dole gas out to the neighbors. (Put a Nat-gas whole house genset in right after that!)

After that fiasco, state of TX put a plan in place to ensure power and fuel stocks were in place at strategically located stations to ensure that fire, ambulance, police, power company, etc vehicles could get fuel. But of course, the state paid for that, not the stations.

TX

/ DIY PTO Generator #53  
I have a friend that had a nice name brand gas generator. He used it a few times a year and kept it maintained. I had an old pto generator that was made from belt drive unit someone else had built. He kept bragging about the small self contained unit till a tornado took out the power. His machine wouldnt start but his 2cylinder Yanmar would. We got him set up with it. It actually burned less fuel than the gas unit normally did. I dont like to maintain many small engines at the house.

The poster that mentioned the flywheel set up has something. The man that I got mine from he had an old square baler that was worn out. He took the gear box off and mount a large pulley to run the head to speed and left the flywheel on the input shaft. It smooths out most of the loads it gets.

/ DIY PTO Generator #54  
kinetic capacitor storing inertia.. ;)

guess you could also use the inductor comparison, with it oposing ( inertial +/- ) changes in speed.. etc. :)

/ DIY PTO Generator #55  
bubbacuse 77,
What is that gearbox increaser that you and ol' Tink got on yer generators?

/ DIY PTO Generator #57  
I was intending to build a PTO generator; I have most everything in my scrap pile, a set of gears from an old tranny, a 10kw 3-phase alternator, and I have the skill set for the work.
I just realized that aside from the glory of the thing, it won't be very useful. I'm not going to let my tractor sit outside running for days [or even hours], and in fact our local power grid has been improved and hasn't failed for a while anyway.

It would be more a mobile power unit sort of thing, but I don't have any 3-phase machines that leave the house + workshop.
I guess if I had a smaller tractor it might be more practical.

I made a couple of generators before, one of them on the 40HP 50 year old Mercedes propulsion engine of a boat works really well, the other one on a 22hp 3 cly Mitsubishi diesel couldn't keep the speed steady enough when loaded with more than a couple of kw.

/ DIY PTO Generator #58  
If your tractor can't handle running for a few hours, I wouldn't put a pro generator on it either.

In fact, I'd fix it or sell it and get one that would work when I needed it and do what I wanted. Its a tractor, not a sports car....

/ DIY PTO Generator #59  
Standby generator at a fuel dispensing station? Any idea what a generator and proper transfer switch costs for an explosion proof installation according to code.
Will you faithfully line up to for years to pay the extra 2-3 cents a gallon to pay for the generator in order to have fuel during a blackout every 5-20 years?

Actually not much more I have done several of them. As long as the generator and transfer switch are outside the class 1 location you are good..