DIY PTO Generator

/ DIY PTO Generator #1  

coldstream

I'm considering building my own PTO gen. I can buy a generator head unit and will probably look for a 5KW to 8KW unit. I saw a youtube where a guy built a belt drive set up off of the PTO and that might work. I'd have to come up with a couple of 2 or 3 belt pulleys of the proper diameter to run off of my 540 or 1000 PTO speeds (probably 1000rpm because the needed pulleys would be closer in size). I'd also like to investigate using a PTO gearbox like the one's used on the commercial PTO generator units. Does anyone know of a source for a gearbox (speed increaser, 1000rpm input, 3600rpm output)? I have no idea how much such a box would cost but am curious. I've looked a bunch on-line and am coming up with nothing. Thanks for any input!

/ DIY PTO Generator #2  
Costs more to cobble together a home built contraption . Than it costs to purchase a complete pto generator.
Lots of people crippled or killed with the home brew jobs that rarely use shields, guards and covers.

/ DIY PTO Generator #4  
If I was looking to build a 3ph generator it would be bigger than 5-8 kw. You can buy a ready made 5-8kw generator cheaper than you could build a 3ph one. And have a lot less expensive engine running than your tractor engine that would also operate cheaper, no hrs on your tractor.

/ DIY PTO Generator
Thanks buickanddeere for the ebay tip. I checked those out as well as the generators on the same page. Looks like it would cost me about the same to buy the components or build it myself for this size of generator. I'd still build it myself though so I can get some practice with my new welder and for the satisfaction of completing the project. Oh and I'll definitely make sure that proper guarding is installed on the exposed rotating parts! My Kubota only gets maybe 50 - 60 hours/year put on it so I'm not worried about running that sweet engine a few hours now and then for power generation. And I do not want to own another small engine which requires gas/maintenance/attention. I've already got 15 engines to take care of now between cars/tractors/motorcycles/atv's/chainsaws/weed trimmers/mowers/etc,etc,etc!

/ DIY PTO Generator #6  
i'd go gearbox.

add up the $$ may be chaper to get a northern 7k unit already set.

I'd avoid belts.. slippage.. etc.. and if you make it for 1krpm and then sell the tractor and don't get another with a 1k pto.. then where are you at.

/ DIY PTO Generator #7  
I've considered building one myself, with the Harbor Freight generator head $299.99, and have subscribed to this thread for ideas. Good luck!

/ DIY PTO Generator #8  
I'd do a geared drive again. You can still get some fab time in welding up a frame and base to mount it on. I drove this 12kw off of a 650 JD. It was only good for about 5 or 6kw but now the 3520 will play with 12Kw. PTO gen.jpg

/ DIY PTO Generator #9  
was your frame a custom bend up job.. or repurposed from something else like a mower deck shell?

just curious.

looks great by the way. :)

/ DIY PTO Generator #10  
I'd do a geared drive again. You can still get some fab time in welding up a frame and base to mount it on. I drove this 12kw off of a 650 JD. It was only good for about 5 or 6kw but now the 3520 will play with 12Kw.View attachment 309402

Where did you source the gearbox and head?