Anyone modified a pull type, 3 bottom plow to 3 point?

/ Anyone modified a pull type, 3 bottom plow to 3 point? #1  

sd455dan

Tractor
Rhino 554, Ford 550 TLB (JD X500, MTD, Gilson riding mowers) Ford 3000-Sold
I tried finding a reasonably priced used 3 point 3 bottom plow for the fields on our 10 acres. Well a deal came up on a John Deere pull type hydraulic controlled depth/transport wheeled 3 bottom and I purchased it. The problem is on the size of fields most of the time will be spent getting turned around at the end of each furrow, here's the plow jd plow new 019.JPG The other option other than using it as is, or moddifying it would be to trade or sell and find a 3 point version,but time is running short.. what do you think??

/ Anyone modified a pull type, 3 bottom plow to 3 point? #2  
I converted an older rope trip JD 2 bottom many years ago, basically used the lift axle brackets for the 3pt lift arm bar, cut off the frame forward, moved the front frame piece and drilled holes to keep the structure of the frame, and welded a bracket for the top link. Welds must be Good no chicken poop, and the lift arm bar needs to be set correctly for side to side position so they pull right but it can and has been done.

/ Anyone modified a pull type, 3 bottom plow to 3 point? #3  
I did an AC 2 bottom and have used it for 7 years.---cut the front beams down short as possible and remove axles levers (mine didnt have any,--someone stole them) ---then I added the 3-pt. adapter parts and got my plow! thanks; sonny 580

/ Anyone modified a pull type, 3 bottom plow to 3 point? #4  
With Craigslist at your fingertips, I'd try a "want to trade" ad in the farm machinery. As many are getting back into "plowing days" someone might be looking for a decent pull type for behind a classic G, or something comparable, and willing to trade, or maybe a little boot. Depends on how bad one wants the other's plow..., LOL... Worth a shot..!!

/ Anyone modified a pull type, 3 bottom plow to 3 point? #5  
Your old plow looks to be in decent condition and some of the tractor clubs are having "plowing days" to teach the collectors how their tractors were used back in the day. So it might be very tradeable.

If that option doesn't work then I'd find a plow like I wanted and measure it up and pay close attention to how it was built and go home and cut out the parts I needed and add to them to build what I wanted. That is easily done with old equipment, convert old into new.

Like js said, no chicken poop welding as there will be lots of pressure on it.

I guess I got lucky and bought a good heavy duty 3ph 2 bottom plow for 32.00. Guess it was my lucky day. Was at an auction and it was going cheap so I bought it. Don't use it...but if I ever need it....

/ Anyone modified a pull type, 3 bottom plow to 3 point?
With Craigslist at your fingertips, I'd try a "want to trade" ad in the farm machinery. As many are getting back into "plowing days" someone might be looking for a decent pull type for behind a classic G, or something comparable, and willing to trade, or maybe a little boot. Depends on how bad one wants the other's plow..., LOL... Worth a shot..!!
Checked the local Craigs list - only two wanted ads both looking for 3 point versions:confused3: so I think I will go ahead and try as is, if I can get it broke up some (the ground not the plow) then take the disc i got last year maybe get the field smoothed out, also have a 84" tiller ,but it needs gear work... always something ...

/ Anyone modified a pull type, 3 bottom plow to 3 point? #7  
Looks to good to alter.
Have worked bigger trailing machines on a lot less than 10 acreas.

/ Anyone modified a pull type, 3 bottom plow to 3 point? #8  
sd, I'd be working on that tillar. Having a tillar is why I never use my bottom plow.

I looked at my bottom plow yesterday after reading your post and it was simple constructed. Cutting out the portion you need to save and converting it to 3 point would not be that hard to do, just do it strong n solid.

/ Anyone modified a pull type, 3 bottom plow to 3 point?
Looks to good to alter.
Have worked bigger trailing machines on a lot less than 10 acreas.

I think that's my problem, kind of hate to cut up , the only JD piece of equipment I own jd plow.jpg

/ Anyone modified a pull type, 3 bottom plow to 3 point? #10  
Hmm ive been watching this for three days now, and you aint got 'r done yet ? ;)