Convert walk behind snow-thrower into a "ride on"?

/ Convert walk behind snow-thrower into a "ride on"? #1  

NormL

Platinum Member
Tractor
Craftsman GT18, Ford 601 / FEL, Oliver 550 / FEL
Given the innovative bent of virtually every TBNer, I have no doubt this has already been done. But being the indolent sort when it comes to doing searches I'm hoping someone knows exactly where to look and is kind enough to show me the way.

I'm getting up in years and walking behind a snow thrower is hardly good therapy for worn out knees and hips.:( My driveway and loop add up to about 550-600 feet of drifted white stuff, some of it up to 3' deep. This winter I've been blowing it out sometimes twice a week!:mur: So, I would like to convert an older, well built unit that at present needs an engine anyway, re-power with more horsepower and hook a set of wheels with a seat on it trailer style. What would be really cool: use the drive from another unit behind the first one and make a 4wd rider.:drool:

I don't care if you guys tell me I'm crazy; I already know that and have come to terms with it.:rolleyes: So, how about it? Anyone?

/ Convert walk behind snow-thrower into a "ride on"? #2  
A friend tried exactly that. he did a good job but could never get enough traction to do anything. No way to steer and he was always getting off to straighten it out. Like I said though, He would mostly sit and spin. It's a great idea however.

/ Convert walk behind snow-thrower into a "ride on"? #3  
If your going to get a second drive ,it should be one with steering capable. I just wondered why you didn't think about mounting two 30" in front of a tractor & use the gas engine to drive it :confused3::)

/ Convert walk behind snow-thrower into a "ride on"?
A friend tried exactly that. he did a good job but could never get enough traction to do anything. No way to steer and he was always getting off to straighten it out. Like I said though, He would mostly sit and spin. It's a great idea however.

That's what I thought might be a problem with a trailered seat. Even with chains I think the blower might not be heavy enough to pull me - I'm not a petite guy!:laughing:

/ Convert walk behind snow-thrower into a "ride on"? #5  
Looks like you have 3 tractors and 2 with a loader. Why aren't u using th instead

If your going to get a second drive ,it should be one with steering capable. I just wondered why you didn't think about mounting two 30" in front of a tractor & use the gas engine to drive it :confused3::)
To steer, I'm thinking I would just lower/shorten the handles and steer the machine like an articulated tractor. As for two 30"ers side by side, both my tractors are equiped with FEL's so a good bit of mods would be needed. On the other hand, a couple of 20"ers pushed with my garden tractor could work. That's the one I'm using right now to keep the drive cleared. The problem with the blower on that one is its a single stage belt driven set-up. The turf tires on the steers are no help either! When the snow is hard and I'm trying to take just a partial bite, the tendency is to veer off course and then I'm stuck.:eek: There are times I could get more done with a shovel!:smiley_aafz:

To steer, I'm thinking I would just lower/shorten the handles and steer the machine like an articulated tractor. As for two 30"ers side by side, both my tractors are equiped with FEL's so a good bit of mods would be needed. On the other hand, a couple of 20"ers pushed with my garden tractor could work. That's the one I'm using right now to keep the drive cleared. The problem with the blower on that one is its a single stage belt driven set-up. The turf tires on the steers are no help either! When the snow is hard and I'm trying to take just a partial bite, the tendency is to veer off course and then I'm stuck.:eek: There are times I could get more done with a shovel!:smiley_aafz:

Looks like you have 3 tractors and 2 with a loader. Why aren't u using th instead

The first few winters I used the Ford to push all my snow. I always wound up with deeper and deeper drifts as the windrows on each side got higher. So I started to use the garden tractor to blow out the drives. Trouble with it is described above. Also, it started chewing belts till I discovered the clutch pulley was seized. My SIL did in his walk-behind when it ingested an extension cord and the shear-pin turned out to be a hardened bolt!:eek: So, to dig out the Ford now, I'll need to shovel for a couple hours. I hope Spring gets here and makes that un-necessary.

/ Convert walk behind snow-thrower into a "ride on"? #9  
I say go for it, I like the articulated design. Now how to get power to the rear axle? A driveshaft? Put chains on all four wheels and you should be all set. maybe convert the front wheels to tracks and just have skis or rollers on the rear "sulky".
A friend of mine has some old Hus ski snow machines, tracks up front and skis in the rear that you sit on.
Home — Bolens Hus Ski and Diablo Rouge

/ Convert walk behind snow-thrower into a "ride on"? #10  
sorry, it double posted for some reason!