Barrel Stove

/ Barrel Stove #1  

steveessie

Tractor
none
Just bought and put together a barrel stove for my pole barn. I was wondering if anyone else has/does use these. Also, it seems the connection of my first pipe to the flue of the barrel is not very sturdy AT ALL. Does anyone have a suggestions on how to make this more study? The flue is cast iron so drilling through it probably isn't an option for me. Any thoughts or is this normal with pipe venting?

/ Barrel Stove #2  
I would drill it but be very careful not to crack it with too big of a screw for the hole drilled, cracking your cast. But another option would be to put a clamp around it. You can get what looks like a big water hose clamp used on dryer vents or air conditioning duct work. Might have to put 2 together to reach around your pipe. The pipe is thin, will hold pretty good.

Another thought, you can put a short piece of pipe on to the cast iron flue. The pipe comes apart at the seam and is easier to cut flat. By going short you can easily reach inside and put screws with nuts, less chance of cracking flue. Then install your longer pieces and secure them with sheet metal screws. Having the pipe come off while the heater is hot and pumping out smoke could be a nightmare.

Cast is soft, drills easily....go for it.

/ Barrel Stove #3  
Yes I have a barrel stove. It is just a slip fit. So yea, it is a bit sloppy. But mine only goes up a few inches, and then 90's into the heavy iron pipe coming in through the wall. So it aint going anywhere.

Are you going straight out the room or through the wall??

Either way, I doubt it will case you issues, but if you want peice of mind, pre-drill the cast with a small bit and use a small sheet-metal screw. The small ones that take a 1/4" bit.

Another piece of advice...if you want to get the most life out of your barrel, line it with fire bricks around the bottom and up the sides as far as it will go without falling. I did this to mine and I am on the same barrel now for the 4th or 5th season and still just a solid as new.

/ Barrel Stove #4  
I also heat a 30x50 pole barn with insulated walls and a drop ceiling. My pipe is just a slip fit, Hasn't been a problem.