Engine Swap - Log Splitter - using a Snow Blower Engine????

/ Engine Swap - Log Splitter - using a Snow Blower Engine???? #1  

Scotty Dive

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2020D
I have a home made splitter using an old Tecumseh HH100 engine - No problems at all except the charging portion quit a long time ago - No big deal I just jump start it with a battery. The only issue I have with this engine is that they do not make the ignition components any more so when it dies I would need to swap it out or go another route.

So...neighbor has a 10 HP Snow King Tecumeh engine in excellent shape that he can give me for free. I called an engine warehouse place to try to figure out if the shaft size was the same (thinking lovejoys and mounting of the hydraulic pump here) and was told not to use the Snow King engine for two reason - 1. No air filter -that is a problem but I could probably work around that....the other reason was that these engines won't last in warm weather running. Is that really true and if so...how come?

/ Engine Swap - Log Splitter - using a Snow Blower Engine???? #2  
It could be the engine is designed to run at 32 deg F or lower. It will run too hot in warm weather (not enough cooling fins or air flow). Split your wood in cold weather (below 32 deg F) and it should work.

/ Engine Swap - Log Splitter - using a Snow Blower Engine???? #3  
it will not run hot at all i put a pressure washer engine on mine not a problem with it put it on and go to work who ever told you that needs there head check

/ Engine Swap - Log Splitter - using a Snow Blower Engine???? #4  
The carb is designed for cold weather.

/ Engine Swap - Log Splitter - using a Snow Blower Engine???? #5  
Hmm.... I have been gearing up to repower a rototiller with an 8hp snow thrower engine. Am I going to have overheating problems, too? I was hoping to be able to start the engine before I get to the garden and avoid all the heave-ho business with the rope.

/ Engine Swap - Log Splitter - using a Snow Blower Engine????
I got this info from the small engine warehouse when I inquired about the engine shaft size and marrying it up with lovejoys to my hydraulic pump. When I gave him the model number he stopped me cold and said that I do not want to run this engine in this application. I have an email into a guy I know who retired from Tecumseh to ask his opinion too.

/ Engine Swap - Log Splitter - using a Snow Blower Engine???? #7  
Easy, change carb.

/ Engine Swap - Log Splitter - using a Snow Blower Engine???? #8  
I am a Tecumseh service center and the two things that you will run into will be, you will need to remove the sheet metal over the carb, that directs heat to the carb, to prevent carb icing. Install an air filter. the big thing will be a snow engine will run rich at warm temperatures, and you may need to change the carb, change the jet, if fixed jet carb, or adjust the carb if adjustable.

The only difference between the snow engine and the regular engine is the carb setting, carb heater, and no air filter. Other thing else is the same.

/ Engine Swap - Log Splitter - using a Snow Blower Engine????
RandyT - Could I trouble you to let me know if the HMSK100 159359W engine has a adjustable carb or what would be needed to get it to run in warmer weather? Is there an aftermarket air filter housing that can be added too?

Last edited:
   / Engine Swap - Log Splitter - using a Snow Blower Engine???? #10  
RandyT - Could I trouble you to let me know if the HMSK100 159359W engine has a adjustable carb or what would be needed to get it to run in warmer weather? Is there an aftermarket air filter housing that can be added too?

The carb on the listed engine has a fixed main jet. You may be able to use the 632239 adjustable jet in place of the fixed jet. There is not a aftermarket air filter assy that I know of, and parts for the air filter that was used on the hm80-hm100-hm120 are getting obsolete. So you may be able to hit some lawnmower shops in the area, and they may have some old engines laying out back. I currently don't have any.