Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Mitsubishi Kubota

Default Water powered generator.

I have recently purchased a property and it has a stream running on it. It is spring fed and starts on the property. I was wondering if it is feasible to have a water powered generator , I have no idea about these things but I do know the stream runs about 40 gpm where I was planning on building a small water wheel. I will build the water wheel regardless as I just want to. I just moved in September and I know it runs year round. Any input is appreciated.

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Default Re: Water powered generator.

I don't know much about the subject, but perhaps the website would help a bit.

Microhydropower Systems | Department of Energy
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Water wheel sounds interesting.

For power generation
    it may be advisable to run pipe to a small turbine etc. this should give the maximum head to work with.

Just thoughts.

Rules & regulations ??
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    massey GC 2400 JD LA 145

It takes a bit more fall in the stream to run a wheel than the micro hydro's but both will work. the micro hydro unit will be more efective.

Tractor
    Mitsubishi Kubota

The water wheel is for asthetics, if I can generate any power ,that is a bonus. That website is informative. Thanks KOua

Gold Member
    Tractor
    1957 Ferguson 35, 1977? Yanmar 2200, 1963 Cub Cadet Original

I don't know about powering a generator but if the spring head is on your property, you can cap it or drive a pipe down in it so you can pipe it to a more suitable location or to get it up high enough to turn a top of the ground water wheel. I have a buddy that has one his granddad piped and it's been like that for years. After he inherited the land he built a nice pond using it to feed it. Lots of options with a spring.
    modify, adjust and improvise....a country boy can survive

Tractor
    Kubota L3200, Ford 1210

I discussed this topic with a guy who owns a property with a creek and a small dam. He told me he spent thousands on engineering to be told his dam isn't tall enough. He said the engineer told him he would need a minimum of 10' of head. I find that hard to believe but I'm no elec/hydro engineer. There was at least one smaller dam with a generator near here that was damaged and the generator dismantled when a flood hit in the 50's or 60's. That dam was only about 6 or 8 feet tall.

Tractor
    2012 John Deere 1026R

Here's an interesting website:

PowerSpout - Water goes in, Power comes out

I recall seeing another turbine style where a series of venturi or funnels directed the water into a single stream increasing it's velocity and the running a generator. It didn't take much of a stream to power a house.

Quote Originally Posted by ndrmyr View Post
    Here's an interesting website:

PowerSpout - Water goes in, Power comes out

I recall seeing another turbine style where a series of venturi or funnels directed the water into a single stream increasing it's velocity and the running a generator. It didn't take much of a stream to power a house.
    That power spout looks a lot like a peloton water wheel.

As for potential power it's simply available head and flow. Really isn't any way to increase that unless the external conditions change. The physical power unit can be changed to make it more effient though.
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Ventrac, Steiner

Guide to Hydropower
    read thru this guide. It has all kinds of formulas for estimateing how much power potential you will be able to generate. It will tell you how to measure flow since this measurement needs to be pretty precise.

For a generator, you can consider a regular induction ac motor. Such as you might find on a old bandsaw, washing machine, or tons of other usually discarded items. I know a guy that made a windmill and used the fan and motor out of an old air conditioner condenser. He could generate enough power to run one light bulb.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast