Water powered generator.

/ Water powered generator. #1  

rodsauder

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi Kubota
I have recently purchased a property and it has a stream running on it. It is spring fed and starts on the property. I was wondering if it is feasible to have a water powered generator , I have no idea about these things but I do know the stream runs about 40 gpm where I was planning on building a small water wheel. I will build the water wheel regardless as I just want to. I just moved in September and I know it runs year round. Any input is appreciated.

/ Water powered generator. #3  
Water wheel sounds interesting.

For power generation
it may be advisable to run pipe to a small turbine etc. this should give the maximum head to work with.

Just thoughts.:)

Rules & regulations ??

/ Water powered generator. #4  
It takes a bit more fall in the stream to run a wheel than the micro hydro's but both will work. the micro hydro unit will be more efective.

/ Water powered generator.
The water wheel is for asthetics, if I can generate any power ,that is a bonus. That website is informative. Thanks KOua

/ Water powered generator. #6  
I don't know about powering a generator but if the spring head is on your property, you can cap it or drive a pipe down in it so you can pipe it to a more suitable location or to get it up high enough to turn a top of the ground water wheel. I have a buddy that has one his granddad piped and it's been like that for years. After he inherited the land he built a nice pond using it to feed it. Lots of options with a spring.

/ Water powered generator. #7  
I discussed this topic with a guy who owns a property with a creek and a small dam. He told me he spent thousands on engineering to be told his dam isn't tall enough. He said the engineer told him he would need a minimum of 10' of head. I find that hard to believe but I'm no elec/hydro engineer. There was at least one smaller dam with a generator near here that was damaged and the generator dismantled when a flood hit in the 50's or 60's. That dam was only about 6 or 8 feet tall.

/ Water powered generator. #8  
Here's an interesting website:

PowerSpout - Water goes in, Power comes out

I recall seeing another turbine style where a series of venturi or funnels directed the water into a single stream increasing it's velocity and the running a generator. It didn't take much of a stream to power a house.

/ Water powered generator. #9  
Here's an interesting website:

PowerSpout - Water goes in, Power comes out

I recall seeing another turbine style where a series of venturi or funnels directed the water into a single stream increasing it's velocity and the running a generator. It didn't take much of a stream to power a house.

That power spout looks a lot like a peloton water wheel.

As for potential power it's simply available head and flow. Really isn't any way to increase that unless the external conditions change. The physical power unit can be changed to make it more effient though.:)

/ Water powered generator. #10  
Guide to Hydropower
read thru this guide. It has all kinds of formulas for estimateing how much power potential you will be able to generate. It will tell you how to measure flow since this measurement needs to be pretty precise.

For a generator, you can consider a regular induction ac motor. Such as you might find on a old bandsaw, washing machine, or tons of other usually discarded items. I know a guy that made a windmill and used the fan and motor out of an old air conditioner condenser. He could generate enough power to run one light bulb.