Tightening post spacing for hign tension fence?

/ Tightening post spacing for hign tension fence? #1  

clovergamecock

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800 4WD FEL
I am adding to my current pasture. One of the lengths is 650' long. I will be putting the "H" style tension posts on each corneter of the run. I will be spacing my tposts at 20'. How many tension posts should be in that straight 650' run??

/ Tightening post spacing for hign tension fence? #2  
If it's a straight & level run, you only need posts to resist tension at each end. Any other posts merely maintain wire spacing and height. I place tension posts when ever the direction of the wire pull changes. either to the side or elevation change.

/ Tightening post spacing for hign tension fence? #3  
Agreed, I don't use any extra H posts unless really significant elevation change and at corners.

If it's a straight & level run, you only need posts to resist tension at each end. Any other posts merely maintain wire spacing and height. I place tension posts when ever the direction of the wire pull changes. either to the side or elevation change.

/ Tightening post spacing for hign tension fence? #4  
I likewise only use posts for spacing as needed. I have a couple 2500' runs with minimal posts at high points/low areas and spacers.

/ Tightening post spacing for hign tension fence? #5  
I agree with everyone else.

/ Tightening post spacing for hign tension fence?
Thanks all. It is a straight level run. tposts at 20' spacing sound right? 4 runs of wire to hold 2 horses and a pony.

Thanks
Wade

/ Tightening post spacing for hign tension fence? #7  
Thanks all. It is a straight level run. tposts at 20' spacing sound right? 4 runs of wire to hold 2 horses and a pony.

Thanks
Wade

Are any of those going to be electric?

20' spacing and 4 strands sounds ok if they are hot, but I know nothing about horses.

/ Tightening post spacing for hign tension fence? #8  
Make 2 strands hot, ground the others...T posts are fine...

Horses are funny...you can put one in the most smooth set of pens you ever saw and come out in the morning to see a gash on the horse.

Also, I've seen people keep horses in pens with wire, loose boards, all sorts of sharp and dangerous things...and they never get hurt.
When a cow gets into a jam, she'll stand there and slowly move her legs around to get out of a tangle or tight spot. Often, a horse will simply go crazy and run thru/over stuff that they know is there...but they got boogered for some reason. Net, the planned smooth wire fence will work for the horses UNLESS they get boogered just wrong, then it's good to have the smooth wire fence...barb wire just cuts them up ... doesn't particularly deter them when one has gone crazy.

True story...had an uncle who was around and trained horses all his life...roping, cutting, reining, ranch work, colts, studs, mares...you name it. He got an older gelding (not unusual) to break and train...two months into the training he was behaving reasonable, easy to saddle, get on, getting a good rein on him. Training was done in an arena with sand, fence made of V net wire...the kind you can't climb...large cedar (very visible) posts with cedar post railing on top of wire between each post. Fence right at 6 feet high. Point is the fence was very well built and visible and horse knew it was there....hours of training spent in the arena.

One day, uncle was taking horse in gentle figure eight pattern, loping. Horse came out of one loop, but failed to somehow change leads and enter the next loop, just "cold jawed" and ran straight at fence, completely unresponsive to the reins. Uncle perceived problem and threw his weight left then right in an attempt to throw horse off balance and regain control/sanity. Didn't happen in about 7 strides. Realizing fence impact was imminent, uncle loosened up in the saddle and went over the top rail as the horse hit the fence. Uncle got up and dusted himself off, looked around. Wire net was split top to bottom just like it had been cut with a knife. Horse laying there outside the arena, neck broken, dying. There is a reason there are the warning signs required anywhere there are equine events...it can be dangerous.

/ Tightening post spacing for hign tension fence? #9  
I've had horses in high tensile wire for 18 years no injury. I insulated every wire and caps on t-posts. With jumpers I can make every strand hot or any combination. It keeps the horses off the fence.

OP are your horses fence trained? The idea is to train your horses to respect the fence. They should KNOW it bites and hurts and keep away from it.

/ Tightening post spacing for hign tension fence? #10  
God love'em, horses are an accident waiting to happen. If there's one old rusty nail hiding in a paddock one of them will be sure to step on it. If something spooks them, they're not hanging around to find out what it was = they're GONE! It's a survival instinct. And no horse is 100% "bomb proof", including my guys who are the most placid (I'll get out of the way of your tractor, Mate, once I'm done with this tuft of grass) horses I've ever encountered.

Fence wise, I've simply run 5 strands (no barbed) through star pickets (metal Y shaped posts, may be the same thing as your T posts) ending in wood H posts. If electric is required in the future, I'll be able to run a stand-off line off of the star pickets. I have placed yellow plastic caps on ALL of the star pickets for visibility & to protect the horses from rubbing up against them. You do what you can to make it safe for them but you can't wrap them in cotton wool or bubblewrap.