55 gallon drum weight?

/ 55 gallon drum weight? #1  

F350Lawman

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 790
I saw a post awhile back about using a 55 gallon drum for a weight. other than that I don't remember much.

This is what I am planning on doing. I was goign to buy 2 -3 point hitch ends ( $2.99 at JD) and weld them onto rebar that I will drive through the center of the drum (standing up). I will also place a 4" pvc pipe standing in the drum from top to bottom. I will fill the barrel 3/4 of the way up with cement taking care not to get any into the PVC pipe. When I get almost 3/4 full will place the ends of 2 chains into the barrel at the front and rear. I will use these like check chains to hold some weight and stop sway of the barrel front and rear. The empty PVC will hold long tools like rakes and shovels. The top 1/4 of the barrel will be empty and can hold my tools, lunch, chains etc.

Paint it JD green and I have about a $20 weight box that holds my tools and looks ok

Any ides? How much will this weigh about?

301479-weight.jpg

Attachments

• 301479-weight.jpg
    301479-weight.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 2,507
   / 55 gallon drum weight? #2  
There's 7.48 gallons per cubic foot, so there are approximately 7.35 cubit feet in a 55 gallon drum. 3/4 full would be about 5-1/2 cubic feet. Concrete can vary by the mix, of course, but it's pretty standard to figure 150 lbs/sq ft, or roughly 825 lbs. of concrete in your 3/4-full drum, plus the weight of the drum, rebar, 3 ph pins, chain, pvc pipe, tools, and other stuff, and, of course, your lunch. Don't know if you're a heavy eater, but that sounds like 850 to 900 lbs.

/ 55 gallon drum weight? #3  
I'll bet you'll get 800lbs.
Let me know if you weigh it.
I guess your finding out quick, that the FEL needs some help in the back?
Its alot safer with weight. Im on 2 wheels more often then I like when doing FEL work without the hoe on.
So far how do you like the JD?
Danny

/ 55 gallon drum weight?
Tractor is rated for 815lbs 24" back from the 3pt arm ends so it should lift 900lbs. just about centerd at the 3pt ends but I will scale back slightly to around 700lbs. I don't think I need anymore ballast than that so why make the tractor lug more than it has to.

Thanks.

/ 55 gallon drum weight?
I have done very little FEL work without the rotary mower on the back so I can't say for sure. It seemed OK safety wise but I was being very careful and only lifting light manure. I do know the traction was not good with the light rear.

I LOVE the tractor. Don't mind it being light either I like being able to add weight when needed and then go light for mowing the lawn etc.

I want the weight so i don't need the big RM hanging and bouncing out back.

/ 55 gallon drum weight? #6  
How much does your rear mower weigh? You might scale back to a half-barrel of concrete, about 550 to 600 lbs. On a light tractor, that should be enough - it would be for my TC18. The weight would be lower which would be safer. And, you can cary a bigger lunch. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just be sure that you put it down where you want it before you unhook it.

/ 55 gallon drum weight?
It ways about 550 lbs but it is hung way out there so I thought 700 right behind the machine might be the same balance. Even with the mower lifted high and nothing in the bucket the tractor seems very well balanced on rough terrain.

I could try 1/2 a barrel and always add more, perhaps that is a solution.

/ 55 gallon drum weight? #8  
Suggestions?

If you have a concrete floor in your storage shed, mount four heavy duty swivel casters on the bottom, so it is easier to roll it around for storage (and makes it easier to get it on the 3-point).

Additional PVC tubes could store chain if you put the grap hooks over the lip of the pipe or the drum.

Put a couple additional PVC pipes above the concrete to make shorter storage tubes.

Drainage holes in the bottom so any water will not accumulate between the drum and the concrete, nor at the bottom of the PVC pipes.

/ 55 gallon drum weight?
Good ideas I will use the drainage holes and the extra PVC. i already have aheavy duty dolly i can put it on.

thanks

/ 55 gallon drum weight? #10  
I don't think your 790 has a cupholder so you might want to make a spot for a water bottle or thermos of coffee /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I say this only partly in jest.