Top Link Extender

/ Top Link Extender #11  
Old McDonald he has a hydraulic top link. So it's not a $20 top link. Usually costs about $150+ for 1.

I apologise. It is too much hassle to change hydraulic top links, so my method is not really feasible. I should have seen from the photos that it was hydraulic. No excuses

/ Top Link Extender #12  
Wasn't trying to flame you. I tend to be very straight forward and to the point.

/ Top Link Extender #13  
medic0648, You did not upset or annoy me, and I too prefer straight talking. It was an error on my part that I should not have made. I have been around tractors for more than 60 years and as I said there is no excuse for not seeing what was obvious. Indeed I prefer that you pointed out my mistake because it reminds me that I am not as observant as I used to be.

/ Top Link Extender #14  
That is a really neat top link extender and a great idea. When you need it, you need it and it's the right part. Good thinking.

/ Top Link Extender
Neat, but how much does a new top link cost? I use three (bought 2 at about €20 each new) to suit different attachments. How much for the metal you used, the pins, your machinery costs to make - and your time? I value my time on these things at zero because I might not being doing anything else to bring in income, but even so, €20 for a top link always set at the correct length seems cheap to me.

Yep, I totally hear what you are saying. My tractor commutes back and forth to two different farm locations. Seems easier to me to carry this device in my chain box rather than carrying extra top links.

I rarely build a device with cost in mind. It's always about convenience and versatility to me.

And to all, I take no offense about comments. It's all about sharing ideas and opinions. I like to use pictures because there's always something in the background that's interesting or might spring a new idea.

/ Top Link Extender #16  
Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Yeah Larry, I remember seeing one too but I couldn't find the thread so I just kinda winged it.

Me either; seems like that's getting all too common for me. :laughing: I am going to save this link and maybe have my son or brother make one of these. My brother uses more different tractors now than I do and it might come in handy for him.

I know the time and cost of building those things one off are prohibitive, I just don't know why someone doesn't market them like some of the other things you have made.

/ Top Link Extender
Me either; seems like that's getting all too common for me. :laughing: I am going to save this link and maybe have my son or brother make one of these. My brother uses more different tractors now than I do and it might come in handy for him.

I know the time and cost of building those things one off are prohibitive, I just don't know why someone doesn't market them like some of the other things you have made.

Larry, I was really surprised how labor intensive it was to make. For me, I can't make one to sell at a good price at all. Way too much time involved drilling and setting them up. But a facility with the proper equipment could make them fairly cheap. I think I'd have to get $100 for one to be worth my time and that's more than I'd want to pay for one.

/ Top Link Extender #18  
I apologise. It is too much hassle to change hydraulic top links, so my method is not really feasible. I should have seen from the photos that it was hydraulic. No excuses

For craftsmen like Richard, it is seldom about the cost, so I'm not sure whether it is hydraulic or not would be the deciding factor.:)

Just an observation, but the adapter will fit in a tool box while an extra top-link won't and space is often an issue when moving between locations, changing equipment etc.

/ Top Link Extender #19  
Larry, I was really surprised how labor intensive it was to make. For me, I can't make one to sell at a good price at all. Way too much time involved drilling and setting them up. But a facility with the proper equipment could make them fairly cheap. I think I'd have to get $100 for one to be worth my time and that's more than I'd want to pay for one.

Oh I can imagine given the thickness of metal, proper measurements setting it up etc.; automation is the only way to go on something like that. My brother retires in about another month and I talked to him a couple of days ago and he is taking a year off to catch up on things before looking for part time work and one of the things is going to be to clean the farm shop out. He built his on hydraulic shop press, engine hoist, shop crane/engine hoist and couple of other things. He modified a lot of equipment where he has worked and likes doing that sort of thing when he has time. Well that and he loves to save money.

/ Top Link Extender
Oh I can imagine given the thickness of metal, proper measurements setting it up etc.; automation is the only way to go on something like that. My brother retires in about another month and I talked to him a couple of days ago and he is taking a year off to catch up on things before looking for part time work and one of the things is going to be to clean the farm shop out. He built his on hydraulic shop press, engine hoist, shop crane/engine hoist and couple of other things. He modified a lot of equipment where he has worked and likes doing that sort of thing when he has time. Well that and he loves to save money.

There's two things I'd tell your Brother about retirement. One, I highly recommend it. Two, the hours are great!!! Hopefully you can get him hooked on TBN so he can share his projects. I'll look forward to progress reports on him. Hook him up with me if there's ever anything I can do for him or you.