Dump trailer

/ Dump trailer #1  

Sfrankland

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5010 Cab, Kubota U35-4
Have been wanting to build a dump trailer for sometime to use with the tractor and with the truck. Not looking at hauling tons of material but maybe 3-4 bucket fulls from the loader.

I had this axle lying around and had built a wooden box on it one afternoon to haul kids back to a scouting camp for the weekend

image-3390901163.jpg

Hauled the box off and started working on a proper chassis.
image-1702613926.jpg

The bandsaw is so much nicer to use over the abrasive wheel chop saw.
image-2178124088.jpg

Laying out the chassis with 4" channel.
image-2010291256.jpg

Welded up and ready to drop on the axle. This trailer will not have any suspension.
image-3307755678.jpg

Picture of the welds and the front end of the trailer.
image-4073388176.jpg

Everything laid out on the axle.
image-4113041544.jpg

The ram is a two stage and came off an auto hauler trailer.
image-1747112218.jpg

Last edited:
   / Dump trailer #2  
Nice start! Wow that band saw beats the heck out of my 20 yr old HF 64.5" band saw! Welds look good too! How are you going to power the hydraulics?

/ Dump trailer #3  
I bought a surplus ARMY single axle 2 years ago.....IF....IF the tires have good traction you just set the trailers brakes (2) and back up. The trailer tilts.
I haul gravel and on a gravel road it wouldn't tilt so I ADDED the ram from NORTHERN HYDRAULICS......works good now.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• Tilting trailer.jpg
    Tilting trailer.jpg
    764.3 KB · Views: 895
   / Dump trailer
Nice start! Wow that band saw beats the heck out of my 20 yr old HF 64.5" band saw! Welds look good too! How are you going to power the hydraulics?

For now I am just going to run the hydraulics off the rear remote I have on the tractor. I may add a 12V pump down the road so I can dump it with the truck or my SxS.

/ Dump trailer
Got the hinge built and mounted the ram. Still have to add some bracing and then start building the deck and sides.

image-2604335630.jpg

The ram seems to be at a good angle.

image-1073185776.jpg

Full extension

image-3048163737.jpg

Real happy with the angle. Should make for easy dumping.

image-1111502079.jpg

Attachments

• image-2934335883.jpg
    image-2934335883.jpg
    459.4 KB · Views: 278
   / Dump trailer
I bought a surplus ARMY single axle 2 years ago.....IF....IF the tires have good traction you just set the trailers brakes (2) and back up. The trailer tilts.
I haul gravel and on a gravel road it wouldn't tilt so I ADDED the ram from NORTHERN HYDRAULICS......works good now.:thumbsup:

Ex-military trailers are really hard to come by in my neck of the woods. Would love to buy one and turn it into a back country camper.

/ Dump trailer #7  
For now I am just going to run the hydraulics off the rear remote I have on the tractor. I may add a 12V pump down the road so I can dump it with the truck or my SxS.

Nice trailer you're making, Sfrankland. What part of the "Rock" are you from?

/ Dump trailer #9  
Just outside St. John's but I grew up on the west coast.

What do you have in mind for the box? I made a trailer something like yours, a couple years back, and welded pipe to the outside corners as stake pockets. By adding pipe horns to the bottom of the deck, I could remove the deck by releasing some pins. This way I could have one trailer, but multiple decks.

Attachments

• DSCF1326.jpg
    DSCF1326.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 504
  • DSCF1340.jpg
    DSCF1340.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 417
  • DSCF1315.jpg
    DSCF1315.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 671
   / Dump trailer
I am going to put 1 1/4" square tub on top of the frame and add a 4' x 8' sheet of 1/8" plate for the bed. The front and rear will be about 2' high with the sides being 12" high with pocket built in for 2by lumber. I am still debating on making the sides removable. The trailer is not heavy enough to carry to big of a load so I don't want to build it with to much compactly into it. I also have two other trailers so if I need a flat deck I can use my other trailers.