Help me design an electric log splitter

/ Help me design an electric log splitter #1  

cstamm81

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740, Mahindra 3016HST, Kubota F2880
So I am contemplating building my own splitter. I found these made by TimberDevil, the single and double vertical models: Timber Devil - Hydraulic Wood Splitter Manufacturer
The design intrigued me, I really like the waist level work height and the vertical ram design. I might try to replicate either the single or the double, but use an electric motor vs a gas engine.
I am thinking a 230V single phase electric motor with 3600 RPM output. Not sure if 5HP or I think the next step is 7.5 HP. I need to be able to run it from a normal house electrical panel. I would like to use a 22GPM 2 stage pump, which calls for 12HP, but I know gas to electric HP ratings are not the same.
Has anyone here built their own electric splitter with a larger than normal motor and pump? I want to have quick cycle times and have this be a serious splitter, nothing rinky dink here.

/ Help me design an electric log splitter #2  
I have a 15 hp 240v 3 phase hydraulic power pack that runs my shear, I once thought about hooking up to the splitter I built. It normally runs two 4" cylinders and is very, very quick.

Never did, we generally just tow the splitter to where the tree is to split it up. Not to mention the danger of having your hands anywhere near something that fast and powerfull.

/ Help me design an electric log splitter
It would have to be a single phase motor. I have some large power packs at work as well, I think a 20HP motor on the one. I split 99% of my wood in one area of my yard, and I just like the idea of the quieter zero maintenance power source. Trying to get real world advice on how big of a motor I can run on say a 30A dedicated circuit. I would not want cycle times too quick, just faster than a normal 22 ton splitter like a Speeco.

/ Help me design an electric log splitter #4  
5 HP 230 Volt single phase is 28 full load amps so starting it with a 30 amp circuit could be a problem.

7 1/2 HP 230 Volt single phase is 40 Full load amps

/ Help me design an electric log splitter #5  
I used a 5 HP 230 Volt single phase Leeson electric motor with a 16 gpm pump on my wood splitter. I plug it into a welder outlet and have a 30 amp breaker on the splitter. I have used it for 10 hours and it has worked well.
IMG_1645.jpg

You would need 7.5 HP for the 22 gpm pump.

I cannot see the motor plate well but according to the specs this 5HP motor has FLA of 19 WEG 00536OS1CCDG56HZ AC Electric Motor M00333 - Single Phase, 5 HP, 56HZ Frame, 3600 RPM, ODP, 208-230 Volts, 60 Hz, Compressor Duty

I suppose I could go to a 40 or 50 amp dedicated circuit if necessary. My intent would be to run the largest HP motor I can get away with to thus be able to run the largest hydraulic pump. Where I get confused is whether or not a 5hp electric can compete with say an 8HP gas. The logic behind that gets fuzzy for me.

cool setup ajmaxham, that's what I am after real world experience. What is the FLA on that motor, or just the motor spec number and I can look it up. Are you running a Lovejoy brand coupler? What is the coupling made of, rubber or delrin/other plastic?

/ Help me design an electric log splitter #8  
I have a 2 hp, 1750 rpm, 230 volt, 10 amp running draw motor on my 3.5 inch ram. The relief pressure is 3000 psi, because all the components are rated for that pressure. The calculated splitting forces is about 14,4000 psi, slightly higher than a six horsepower, 4 inch cylinder with an typical logsplitter valve. The cycle times, assuming full extension and retraction of the cylinder is about that of a four inch cylinder, gas splitter, about fouteen seconds.

The entire arrangement works very well. The splitter starts with the flicking a electrical switch in any temperature. It sits in my garage, out of the wind, and I can work up kindling while listening to the radio.

My experience is that electric motors and hydraulic pumps are a great combination for a splitter. The 1750 rpm avoids cavitation and any heating of the hydraulic oil. My calculation of the operating cost was about $.50 an hour for electricity.

If I need to work in the woods, I just put the generator in the truck bed. The generator also drives the lights so that I can work in the dark.

The numbers you suggested, horsepower, amp draw, seem like they are higher that you need, based on my experience but they would make for a very capable, fast splitter.

Maybe useful, Dave Howell, Maryland

Last edited:
   / Help me design an electric log splitter #9  
Take a look at the super spliter, they have an electric option, pretty tough to beat their setup.

/ Help me design an electric log splitter #10  
5 HP Open Drip Proof
3450 RPM
Full Load Amps 20.8
Service Factor 1.0
7/8'' shaft
Catalog # 120554
Compressor or other industrial application
I did build a cover over the motor and pump for protection from the elements

The Totally Enclosed 5 HP electric motor
Full Load Amps 22
Service Factor 1.15
1 1/8'' shaft

I used the LoveJoy L95 series coupler with the Buna Spider. 7/8'' for the electric motor and 1/2'' for the pump. I ordered the L 100 series but the 1/2'' coupler half was too large to fit on the pump shaft.
IMG_1646.jpg