Mounting Backhoe on Mahindra Max 28xl

/ Mounting Backhoe on Mahindra Max 28xl #1  

madmax28

Tractor
Previous: Mahindra Max 28xl, Mahindra 4025 4wd Current: Massey Ferguson 231
Hi everybody,
I bought a used backhoe yesterday. The I.d. tag has the model listed as LW6. I know there is better equipment out there but I am on a very tight budget and only paid $700 for this hoe. My question relates to mounting the backhoe. It did not come with the toplink mount or the triangular bracing that most backhoes come with. I have about 10 feet of heavy 4 inch channel iron and another 15 feet of 2 1/4 inch square tubing along with 10 feet of 3" x 1/4" angle iron. Im wondering if anyone out there can give me an idea of what the mounting should look like? Also, does that sound like heavy enough material to build a subframe for even stronger mounting? I tend to be very rough on equipment and I don't want to injure myself. Thanks!

/ Mounting Backhoe on Mahindra Max 28xl
I can take a few when I get home. I should also mention i'm a "function not form" type of guy. Ugly but strong works just fine to me. Im going to dive into this tomorrow. Hoping to get a little insight before I start.

/ Mounting Backhoe on Mahindra Max 28xl #4  
That is a smoking deal whether it is a Chinese hoe or not! Congrats on a bargain. I think you could make ( or almost complete) a subframe out of those materials. You will a probably need a little plate metal also but sounds like you are mainly good to go. Here is a thread on building an LW6 subframe for a Jinma just for some ideas http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...urrounding-type-subfram.html?amp;goto=newpost . TBN member dfkrug has built and documented several and is the master ( here is one but he has others) http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/171760-how-build-your-own-custom.html There are a number of TBN members that have built subframes and there are a variety of ways to go about it. The main thing is make it sturdy and keep the stress away from the 3 point only/ As it sounds like you are aware, a hoe can literally tear a tractor in two or otherwise break it horrifically. Subframes are the best way to support and spread the stresses. Enjoy your new toy and as always, take pics of your build and share them!!!!

Thanks. Will do! I thought it was a great deal too.

/ Mounting Backhoe on Mahindra Max 28xl #6  
I got a great deal on a new Jinma Hoe on ebay and modified the sub frame to fit my Branson 3510.
It is a light duty Hoe but really does a good job if you remember that it IS light duty.
I have had a couple hoses blow apart and had to custom make some fittings to adapt common hoses to the cylinders. (It has some kind of Chi fitting that my local Hyd Shop could not match up)
I also had a cylinder end break and had to repair that.
I made a 6" bucket for it for trenching (I replaced my septic drain field lines) and it is really handy for a lot of things.
I made a seat mount that fits the top hole of the top link and I just put a pin in the hole (my tractor has 3 holes). I use the bottom hole for the Hoe.

I made mounts for the subframe to fit where my 3pt arms attach to the axle. The original S F is only 2" X 3" box tubing.
On the front of the S F I made "J" bolts (used upside down) that just hook to the FEL S F. With S F mounted to the rear axle the only front motion will be up and down.
I am also using my tractor hydraulics even though I got the pump and tank. It was a lot easier to do it that way.
If you have any questions I will try to answer them.

Attachments

• 000_0526.JPG
    000_0526.JPG
    512.4 KB · Views: 377
  • 000_0524.JPG
    000_0524.JPG
    569.1 KB · Views: 389
  • 000_0719.jpg
    000_0719.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 391
  • 000_0722.jpg
    000_0722.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 243
  • 000_0345.JPG
    000_0345.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 344
Thanks for the replies! I actually do have a question. I messed with it a little this evening and I believe the pump may be shot. I have a little experience with hydraulics due to the fact that i've been a natural gas compressor mechanic for the past 5 years. Anyway, looks like someone has previously installed standard pipe fittings on one of the hoses and that got me thinking I may just pipe the hoe into my tractor hydraulics. After I bought the tractor I took the power beyond hose off and had it cut with quick disconnects installed to hook up a log splitter in that circuit. Is it ok to plug the backhoe pressure and return hoses into my power beyond? If not, where should it tie in?

/ Mounting Backhoe on Mahindra Max 28xl #8  
The power beyond is exactly where you would supply the pressure for the backhow from.

/ Mounting Backhoe on Mahindra Max 28xl #9  
I'm not sure with your tractor how the hydraulics work. It should work if you had a log splitter in the circuit.
You NEVER want to "Dead Head" hydraulics, there must be a relief valve in the circuit.
Before you hook the Hoe to your tractor make sure the oil still in the Hoe parts is clean. You don't want to contaminate the tractor fluid with dirty or water contaminated oil.
Also be careful with pipe fittings, they are not rated for hydraulic pressure. They sell hydraulic fittings with pipe threads.

10-4 on the hydraulic fluid. I have already drained the hoe tank and filled with new fluid. I think I will try to connect the backhoe hydraulics to the tractor tomorrow to at least get it off the trailer and start building some sort of frame or mount for it. Thanks for the help everyone. I'll try to document my progress with pictures.