Building a BX cleanout bucket

/ Building a BX cleanout bucket #1  

Scooby074

Tractor
BX 25, ZD 326
As anybody who has done ditching with a BK knows, the bucket is tiny when it comes to ditching. I doubled the factory bucket to 24", hopefully it will cut ditching in half and stop clay from packing and sticking in the bucket. Major annoying!

First step is building the frame and cutting edges. Top piece is 1.5x1/4 sq tube. sides are 1/4x3" flat. cutting edge is 1/2x4".

New welder with lots of power = big fat juicy welds (and a side of undercut :p)

/ Building a BX cleanout bucket
Laying out the sides. 1/8 plate. Getting the angle is important! The rear of the bucket must not drag when curling and the bottom of the bucket should taper up, also to prevent drag. Sharpie line on the right is the curve of the rear of the 12" bucket. Notice the size difference.

Taper template for the rear section of the bucket. More on this later.

Marked on the rear sheet. The high part of the arch is 1" from the edge of the sheet. This section was cut out of the rear sheet

Rear section tacked in place. First 6"-7" is parallel with the table and cutting edge(ie flat). Curve starts right in the area of the gloves. Notice the gap between the sides and the rear section. This will form the rear taper later. The bucket tapers in 1" per side. This is important to allow clearance and prevent mud from packing inside.

Pulling in the sides to create taper

Rolling the rear section, tacking along the way. Shows the value of a strong steel table. A chain link is welded to the top of the table to provide a place to pull from.

You can never have too many clamps ;)

Sides welded

Went back and welded up remaining seams. Lots of short welds and working all over the bucket are the keys to prevent warping. Most welds were done in 6" lengths to keep the heat input as low as possible.

/ Building a BX cleanout bucket #4  
It looks good. I built mine backwards starting with the top of the bucket and rolled it toward the cutting edge. With all the digging I have done with mine I found it hard to swap back to my 16" bucket. Looking at the specs of the BX tractors it should handle it with few to no problems. I did find with mine that if you had the stick fully extended and the boom down in a hole with the bucket heaped with material it was very hard to raise the boom. This is not a normal digging operation so it is not really an issue.

You will have to build a quick coupler next for it.

image-215685731.jpg

/ Building a BX cleanout bucket #5  
That really looks nice

/ Building a BX cleanout bucket #6  
It looks good Jason.

/ Building a BX cleanout bucket #7  
Do you find it tough to flex the rear of the bucket up so you could tack it to the sides as you went? Any heating required?

Thanks guys. Its coming along. I dropped the mount brackets off at the machine shop to get bored. Will have them in a couple days. $30:mad: to have it drilled.. I only had $90 in the new steel for the build! Thats a tick off! FYI, Kubota uses a weird size on their pins. 0.978". THe bores on the factory bucket were laser cut! and all over the place as far as size, from 0.988 to 0.985. 10 thousands over! And no bushings, so when they wear, your looking at a rebuild. So keep the grease to them! Im having the new bucket ears bored to 25mm (.984) Thats more clearance then Id like, but its a standard size, so it will only cost half as much as shooting for a custom size.

I really need to get a 25mm reamer to have. It would almost pay for itself on the first job.

Do you find it tough to flex the rear of the bucket up so you could tack it to the sides as you went? Any heating required?

No heat required other then to put the bend in where the flat is. You could probably do it without heat.

No problems bending the sides in for the taper, just used the clamps. THe key is to get the right taper cut into the back plate before assembly.. Then you just have to push the sides in to line up with the rear plate using the clamps. Tack on the inside.

Bucket is finished. Sorry, no in progress pics because I forgot the camera.

Mounting brackets. Before welding, i built a spacer out of a couple pieces of scrap to hold the ears the proper distance apart.

Finished

Side by side with the original

Much larger than the stock bucket

If it ever stops raining, ill get it installed and update this thread with some in use pics and reviews