innovative dump trailer for loader

/ innovative dump trailer for loader #1  

swick1

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 1026R
I've been thinking about a dump trailer for a few years and wanted to jot down some of my ideas and open this up for discussion. I have a john deere 1026r. The problem is that my tractor is no good for moving dirt long distances. If I had a trailer that I could pull with my backhoe still attached I'd be tickled pink but there's no way I can see to do it. Instead I propose a dump trailer that can attach to my loader bucket with a hitch that articulates a great deal. This would give me a 600 pound or so dump force using the loader to pick it up. Since it would be at the tongue I should be able to get about 3600 lb ft of torque at the axle on level ground. With that much weight it will need brakes.

I'm thinking to put the axle at the end of the trailer to improve steering stability and put a leg on the front that is spring loaded. When the front leg is on the ground it will actuate the truck axle brakes and compress the spring. When it is in the air the brakes will release because the spring extends the leg. It would have a big wide foot so if you were going down a hill you could let it drag a little by lowering the loader bucket. When you unhook it from the loader the trailer brakes would be engaged because the tongue is on the ground.

I'm not sure if I would put suspension on the axle or not. Maybe just a rubber bumper between the axle and frame then let the axle float a little. Otherwise I could put heavy leaf springs on it. One problem would be pushing it up a steep hill. If I hooked a hydraulic motor to the axle with an overrun valve I could plug into my front remotes and have it powered. Maybe I just don't use it where the hills are steep.

I also want it to be as small as possible because I work in yards all the time never in the country hardly. I will probably use a ranger or s10 axle with big wide tires for flotation. The deck will probably be 4 ft x 6 ft or 4 x 8. Any suggestions? Should I do the sides with stake pockets or permanent sides? I want to keep the trailer weight as low as possible for maximum payload. I want it to carry 3000 lbs gross when loaded. I will have my backhoe attached for counterweight but I worry about it on sidehills as the tongue will be pushing side to side on my loader. I think maybe I can put in a valve to lock the brakes on the trailer if it starts trying to steer or roll my tractor. I could also just keep it low and drop the tongue to apply the brakes but I would like a more user friendly approach. This is my only concern so far. Any ideas? Concerns?

/ innovative dump trailer for loader #3  
swick,
Would your loader withstand pulling 3000# or more? My dad pulled the ends off of the lift cylinders on a loader and I have seen at least one other loader broken the same way.

/ innovative dump trailer for loader
swick,
Would your loader withstand pulling 3000# or more? My dad pulled the ends off of the lift cylinders on a loader and I have seen at least one other loader broken the same way.

Good question. Pushing is no problem. Not sure about pulling. The mount should be at the bottom of the bucket to reduce stress.

Last edited:
   / innovative dump trailer for loader #7  
Am i correct in the assumption the boom lock pin is manually inserted?

If so i personally would source a new boom pivot and lock pins that are longer. and make a drop on bracket that hooks over the extended pivot pin and is locked in place with the lock pin.

the bracket can them be used to tow a trailer along these lines
http://millside.ca/images/atv_trailers_15.jpg something you can build or buy.

/ innovative dump trailer for loader #9  
I thought about doing something similar when I had my Kubota BX23. I was using it to haul dirt back and forth across the yard - and was eating up a lot of time moving buckets full of dirt around. I actually ended up buying a small used dump trailer that is very similar to the King Kutter XT.

Here's what I was going to try to make (never got around to it) . The BT600 backhoe on the BX has a lower plate that is like 3/8" or 1/2" steel. I was going to weld or bolt on two hitch receivers, one on each side of the backhoe boom. Then - I was going to make something "U" shaped - that would loop around the bottom of the backhoe boom and insert into those receivers. The trailer tongue would hook up to a pintle or something like that - at the apex of the "U". So basically there would be a hitch connection right behind the lower part of the backhoe boom. I figured having the "U" hang that far out - would probably put some undue forces on it while traveling over rough ground - so I thought that I could make either the tongue on the trailer articulate up and down - or - make the "U" articulate up and down by putting joints in it somewhere back along where it inserted into the receivers. That would allow it to float up and down some and not be subject to up and down twisting forces while going over rough ground.

Having the "U" insert into receivers mounted on the backhoe frame - would mean you could quickly take it out once you unhooked the trailer - and you would then be able to use the backhoe again. Fill the trailer up - put the "U" back into the receivers - hook it up to the trailer - and haul the load off - wash, rinse - repeat.

I thought about the loader thing too - but you're putting a lot of stress on the loader (even a small trailer like the King Kutter XT will haul a ton) - AND - you've got to push the trailer - which is much more of a PITA than pulling it.

I could probably draw a picture if the description I gave doesn't make any sense.

/ innovative dump trailer for loader
Am i correct in the assumption the boom lock pin is manually inserted?

If so i personally would source a new boom pivot and lock pins that are longer. and make a drop on bracket that hooks over the extended pivot pin and is locked in place with the lock pin.

the bracket can them be used to tow a trailer along these lines
http://millside.ca/images/atv_trailers_15.jpg something you can build or buy.

I never thought of that. I like it, but now I need brakes. The backhoe isn't strong enough to lift the trailer but I suppose I could connect a rope to the bucket. Uncurling would actuate the brakes. Now I've got 2 hydraulic connections, a rope, and the hitch which isn't powered and will need perfect alignment. No free lunch indeed!

I wonder how the loader would handle a 300lb sideways load? I doubt it would ever exceed that.

Last edited: