3 point hich tilt trailer

/ 3 point hich tilt trailer
So here it is, my completed tilt trailer. I have been heavily using it for about a week and it works great. Not as much tilt as I would like but with a bit of a jerk and drive forward it empties out enough to make the job very easy. Definitely will do some more consulting before my next project, lots of things I would change (adding lateral rotation somewhere so when my tractor leans before the trailer it does not put so much pressure on the trailer). But overall I'm happy with it. Some see the death of a tractor, I see the birth of a new trailer and a more solidified belief in DIY. Anyways, pics attached with it in the up and down position, and with a couple coats of paint.

Attachments

• image-1304006554.jpg
    image-1304006554.jpg
    608.2 KB · Views: 233
  • image-1555332507.jpg
    image-1555332507.jpg
    699.2 KB · Views: 227
  • image-1646226377.jpg
    image-1646226377.jpg
    660.3 KB · Views: 183
  • image-3019136293.jpg
    image-3019136293.jpg
    750.6 KB · Views: 204
  • image-1701571378.jpg
    image-1701571378.jpg
    710.4 KB · Views: 146
   / 3 point hich tilt trailer #32  
Looks pretty slick, glad its a big help.

I cant make it out in the photo what model is that B2330?

/ 3 point hich tilt trailer #33  
What happens if the tractor leans left and the trailer leans right, with that style hitch? Do you have some rotation in the system somewhere?

My only flat land is under the house.

325309d1372627651-3-point-hich-tilt-trailer-image-3019136293.jpg

Looks pretty slick, glad its a big help.

I cant make it out in the photo what model is that B2330?

Yes it is. And with the hitch style I have there is unwanted torsion on the u joint, one of the major drawbacks of this design. Ideally I would add some type of swashplate or rotation ability to solve the problem as I'm sure that u Joint will crack at some point. Once that happens I will probably add a normal ball style hitch to it. I did it this way because I had a much different design in mind for the tilting, but practicality won out after I had already started the build. Definitely a learning experience.

Right now when there is rotation the whole assembly flexes, however I did just get some scraps from my grandfather and one f the gems was a set of 10 HUGE 5 inch OD bearings from an airplane. Might cut the tubing and insert one to fix that problem, any thoughts on that?

/ 3 point hich tilt trailer #36  
   / 3 point hich tilt trailer #37  
Right now when there is rotation the whole assembly flexes, however I did just get some scraps from my grandfather and one f the gems was a set of 10 HUGE 5 inch OD bearings from an airplane. Might cut the tubing and insert one to fix that problem, any thoughts on that?

If you move the u joint back 6 or 8 inches, it will increase the dump angle. Put the bearing where the u joint is now.

Weld the shaft to the u joint.
image-3019136293 cut.jpg

Thanks for the ideas guys, I think will try to impliment both the longer shaft and the off road joint ideas. Possibly add some reinforcement to the longer shaft?

/ 3 point hich tilt trailer #39  
I would skip the bearing and just make it a greased sleeve

Tap a grease fitting in the larger one

Find a couple pieces of pipe that fit one inside the other and mount the larger one and weld the smaller one to the u joint, push it through the larger pipe and slide your back plate down over it to the tolerance you want and weld it on

Back plate having a hold that just slides over the smaller pipe

will likely never give a problem and easy to build then a double bearing setup, using one bearing will likely tear the guts out in quick order most only like radial loads. You'll have shock, thrust, and radial.