Fertilizer side dresser?

/ Fertilizer side dresser? #1  

870boy

Tractor
Kubota L4400 , Belarus 800M
I have a three point hitch fertilizer spinner spreader that I want to be able to side dress two rows of corn (at a time) with fertilizer. Want to direct the fertilizer to the soil without getting in on the corn, to prevent burning the corn.

Anyone ever seen or made a contraption that will catch the fertilizer when it comes off the spinner and funnel it down to the ground? So you can direct the two bands of fertilizer exactly where you want them in relation to the row of corn.

Seems like I saw one in a produce magazine several years ago, but can't seem to locate any pictures now.

Thanks.

/ Fertilizer side dresser? #2  
I haven't seen anything like that but sounds like a pendulum spreader would be a better option. Something that would help would be to spread during a rain as it will be less likely to burn the plants then as well as be incorporated into the ground a lot faster.

/ Fertilizer side dresser? #3  
I made a single row one by mounting a off set gas funnel on the bottom of the spreader.I don''t use the slinger just let it gravity feed.The offset on the funnel is apx. 6"off center line I use it to put urea on. Once it is adjusted all you have to do is watch your ground speed .

/ Fertilizer side dresser? #4  
I would think that by making some thing like the link below has,

Walco New Zealand - Side Dresser

to catch the fertilizer and to guild it down to your desired location,

on a two row one would need to split the flow and figuring out where to make the division would most likely take a lot of trial and error, if one can rotate the shield to adjust the split and then add the drop tubes,

/ Fertilizer side dresser?
Thanks for the link BHD. Similar to what I am thinking about.

Right now I have an Amish tin shop working on it. My idea is to have them make a shroud with one large outlet pipe, so the fertilizer all comes out a single point, then I will split it and have two drop tubes to the corn rows. Otherwise I figure it would be difficult at best to evenly split the fertilizer coming off the spreader.

I made a single row one by mounting a off set gas funnel on the bottom of the spreader.I don''t use the slinger just let it gravity feed.The offset on the funnel is apx. 6"off center line I use it to put urea on. Once it is adjusted all you have to do is watch your ground speed .

I have done the same thing for years with the ATV, however I want to go to two rows now and utilize the new spreader I have.

/ Fertilizer side dresser? #7  
Thanks for the link BHD. Similar to what I am thinking about.

Right now I have an Amish tin shop working on it. My idea is to have them make a shroud with one large outlet pipe, so the fertilizer all comes out a single point, then I will split it and have two drop tubes to the corn rows. Otherwise I figure it would be difficult at best to evenly split the fertilizer coming off the spreader.

Do you think it is really important to spread the urea equally on both sides of the row? I only run urea on one size of my corn when side dressing and have never had any problems.

I want to do two rows of corn at the same time, to spend half as much time and fuel.