Elite Member
    Tractor
    3550 Fard Backhoe and a 1948 Farmall Cub,

Default tank sealer

Hey guys I gotta pick some brains here. At work we just got in 2 asphault rollers for our new lots repair crew. I spent 2 weeks refurbishing them. I have one problem the irrigation systems tanks for wetting the drums and tires both had alot of big surface rust flakes on inside them. The larger machine about 20 pounds of flake. Im wondering if yall might know of a an epoxy to coat a steel tank so I wont constantly have to change spray tips and suction screens.

Tractor
    PowerTrac 1850

Default Re: tank sealer

There is a product for coating the inside of Aircraft Fuel tanks for homebuilts. There are a few lines of product, none of which are fun or easy to apply.

Honestly I don't know if they will work on rusted tanks but it is worth a look.
    Power-Trac 1850, grapple, hoe, 90" mower, 72" box blade

Gold Member

Might try Sodium silicate aka water glass. If you can heat it up enough with say exhaust from an engine.?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Ford 3400, Gizmow ZTR, Simplicity 7116H

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L2500, Oliver Super55

There's a ton of stuff out there but if it were me I might try doing electrolysis to get the scale to lift off the tanks or even better go to TSC or some other farm store and look at the large plastic poly tanks and re-plumb the rollers for them. Than you would never have to worry about scale.

Silver Member

There are plenty of tank coating systems that you pour in and agitate the tank to spread it about. Red Kote is one I've used successfully several times on pinholed tanks. Another option may be to have it sprayed with spray-in bedliner. Either system is going to require any loose rust to be removed.

I coated a rusted up/pinholed mower tank with Auto Zone off the shelf epoxy/polyester/ resin. Just cleaned the tank by wiring it to the lawn mower wheel, filled it partly with stone and sand, then mowed the lawn. Then I greased up a pipe plug for the gas line hole, mixed up a good batch of resin, poured it in rotated it in every which direction, pulled the pipe plug before it set completely. Ran it a year or so sold it and as far as I know, it's still going.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD 60, 3020, 2030, 2240, 2640, Farmall A

I've seen those gas tank sealers being sold by some old vehicle restoration places. Forgot the name of the outfit....any how, usually they say to put a chain into the tank and roll it about to get things loose. And then pour out, clean, coat, dry.

How big are these tanks? Are they square? Round, formed to the frame? Is "replacing" them w/ an OEM tank that costly? How about using a plastic tank? I know they make lots of different configurations/sizes.... just throwing out options.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    3550 Fard Backhoe and a 1948 Farmall Cub,

Thanks for the replies fellas, I got the scale out with my 0 degree tip and steam cleaner. just need to coat it. The little one has aq poly tank on it but the big vibratory rig has the tank built into the structure.