2 women are building a horse run-in, can you give a little advice?

/ 2 women are building a horse run-in, can you give a little advice? #1  

loribt

Tractor
Ford 5000 and Cub Cadet
Before I start asking questions, thought I should let you all know that two women that are going to try and build a horse run-in by ourselves. My friend and I are going to attempt to build a horse shed 14' x 14', 3 full sides, front 7 foot opening. I have alot of used 2x8's that I am selling to her cheap because she needs a new horse run-in, and I offered to help her. Here's our plan. The 2x8x8 treated lumber is what I had previously used for some horse fencing that was taken down, so we plan on cutting off the ends where the old nail holes are and making them 7 foot long so that's why the building will be 14 x 14 if that makes sense. So, she bought 8 4x6x12 treated posts and is having her neighbor drill the holes. We plan to set the front posts so that that 9 feet will be out of the ground and the back posts so that 8 feet will be out of the ground for the slope back. Now, we plan on spacing the posts 7 feet apart, so how deep should the center posts be set so the slope back will be correct? I was thinking probably split the difference and have them 8 1/2 feet out of the ground. Then we plan on using 2x4's to tie the posts together, right? Next we will nail the support boards starting at the bottom, level and as low to the ground as possible all the way around (maybe even dig down some into the ground) and start nailing on the boards working our way up. Also plan on putting a temporary support board along the top that we may have to replace depending on if there is a gap once we get to the top. Does my plan sound like I'm doing this right? When I get to the roof, that will be another issue, but I think we can figure that out by looking online and asking more questions. Thanks for any input or advice. We are woman, hear us roar, lol......

/ 2 women are building a horse run-in, can you give a little advice? #2  
I'm not a carpenter, but it looks like you are doing OK so far.

On the post hight, you may want to set them high, then trim to final hight later.

If the 7' boards are going to meet at the center of the middle board, are they going to go to the edge of the front and back posts? You will need to figure that into post location.

I sometimes layout the plans on graph paper to look for those little things that can be missed.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to keep asking questions.

/ 2 women are building a horse run-in, can you give a little advice? #3  
I'd go 12 foot high in the front and 8 foot high clear in the back. That angle should get you plenty of "horse height" and "slope" for weather conditions.

/ 2 women are building a horse run-in, can you give a little advice? #4  
Lori,

What you want to do is get your posts set and then cut the excess height off the top of the posts using a chainsaw. You could set all posts the same height/depth and then tack a 2x8 front to back at the angle you want. Then follow that angle with the chainsaw when you cut the tops off the posts.

/ 2 women are building a horse run-in, can you give a little advice?
Thanks for the replies. Live in Michigan so need to set the posts as deep as we can. She bought 12' posts so that's why we plan on having 9' in front and 8' out of the ground in the back. Hopefully the slope will be enough. She will just have to keep an eye on any snow build-up during the winter months and push it off as needed. The center posts we can cut for the right angle. The horses are small so hopefully that height will work. The small lean-to they have right now isn't even as tall as we are planning to build and there hasn't been any problems. Thanks CNCDan for reminding about where the boards will fall on the post. Plan on going to the end on the corner posts and to the middle of the post in the center posts so we will have to be really careful to get the posts set correctly. Hoping to just add enough dirt in the holes to hold in place so we can make any adjustments we need to make without having to dig out the entire hole. Bought quick concrete to add to each hole once we are satisfied that the poles are in right and everything is square. Going to try and use the 3-4-5- method for squaring, new experience for us but I think we can do it. Thanks again and I'm sure I'll have more questions. Sometimes when looking up info on the internet, the answers are just way over my head, so I appreciate the responses I've gotten and that I understand the logic.

/ 2 women are building a horse run-in, can you give a little advice? #6  
You can also use 6x6's and form a rectangle out of them on the ground. Then build stud walls that sit on top of the 6x6's. You don't HAVE to have poles in the ground. Cut the 6x6 out where you want to have your door.

/ 2 women are building a horse run-in, can you give a little advice? #7  

Attachments

• Save-Americas-Wild-Horses-Large.png
    Save-Americas-Wild-Horses-Large.png
    94 KB · Views: 88
  • 21364886354568f1b29fdeb.jpg
    21364886354568f1b29fdeb.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 800
  • horseon2.gif
    horseon2.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 826
   / 2 women are building a horse run-in, can you give a little advice? #8  
Play safe ,don't hit your fingers with hammer like I've been known to do. ;)
Better yet if you don't have an air compressor invest in a pancake compressor
cbhnfp2028.jpg
and a nail gun. Will come in REAL handy versus driving all the nails by hand.

/ 2 women are building a horse run-in, can you give a little advice? #9  
I would nail short (approx. 1') pieces of treated 2x4s to the bottom four sides of 4x6 up rights. They will prevent wind lift of the posts.
36" does not seem deep enough to get below the frost line, but maybe not critical for what you are building.
The slope (lack of) of the roof is what I would be most concerned about. What is your plan for roofing?
To make sure your layout is square measure diagonal across the corners. Adjust until both diagonals measure the same.
GOOD LUCK!

/ 2 women are building a horse run-in, can you give a little advice? #10  
are you splicing the 2x8 for rafters? and if so how are you planning on doing that?

I would suggest a good cordless drill , or small impact driver designed for driving screws, and use screws to assemble, the building, stronger than nails and if a mistake is made much easer than nails to remove, I use screw for most of my corral fencing so much easer to replace a busted board, or if some thing needs to be adjusted, if you need to put a washer under the head of the screw to have more hold area. hex or torx head screws would be my suggestion. (yes the cost is more but the advantages are great),

nail guns are nice but dragging a cord and compressor and air hose, get old and you can not buy a few pounds of air nails (or I have not seen any one sell that way) you end up with a box full, and if treated lumber one needs fasteners rated for treated lumber, it will eat a standard fastener away,

if you working by your self one can drive a nail or screw part way in and set the board on it, and fasten the other end and then come back and drive a fastener in that end remove the holding screw and move on.